ProMacs?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Has anyone heard ANY rumors about a ProMac update at the WWDC?

I CAN wait to buy, but I start on a job in June and I'd like to be up and running.

I haven't heard anything anywhere.....

Anyone?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    royboyroyboy Posts: 458member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dylanny View Post

I CAN wait to buy, but I start on a job in June and I'd like to be up and running.

Anyone?

http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#Mac_Pro

Product \tMac Pro

Recommendation: \tBuy Now! - Product just updated *

Notes\t* The last Mac Pro updates only introduced an 8-Core Mac Pro, leaving the rest of the line untouched. Updates to the regular Mac Pros may still be coming.

Last Release \tApril 04, 2007
  • Reply 2 of 24
    I think they can sell what they have with CS3 out now. I think they sold a surge of machines with the X1900XT. I ordered the 2.66 on the 27th of last month..... ship time changed from the May 5-7 to May 15-17. Tonight you can order one and get the same ship times as what I had.

Needless to say they told me they could build one at the physical store tonight.......so I canceled the order at the store. Then they tell me I have to pay the retail price for the X1900 XT!!!! They pissed me off so I left!!!!! Now I'm debating on the OCTO or sending back all the ram I ordered over a week ago and waiting till WWDC.

News is slim...... for such an old machine now.........
  • Reply 3 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by namachtag View Post

I think they can sell what they have with CS3 out now. I think they sold a surge of machines with the X1900XT. I ordered the 2.66 on the 27th of last month..... ship time changed from the May 5-7 to May 15-17. Tonight you can order one and get the same ship times as what I had.

Needless to say they told me they could build one at the physical store tonight.......so I canceled the order at the store. Then they tell me I have to pay the retail price for the X1900 XT!!!! They pissed me off so I left!!!!! Now I'm debating on the OCTO or sending back all the ram I ordered over a week ago and waiting till WWDC.

News is slim...... for such an old machine now.........

What kind of deal ($) did you get on your ram?
  • Reply 4 of 24
    cubitcubit Posts: 846member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Royboy View Post

I;m with Royboy-- What was the deal?
  • Reply 5 of 24
    dylannydylanny Posts: 6member
    Rpyboy..... what did you decide?
  • Reply 6 of 24
    jcgjcg Posts: 777member
    Looking for a price on RAM, go to Ramseeker.com, I'm not a part of the web site, but have used to to look up the going rate of RAM. When the prices are volatile it can almost be as fun as watching stock prices.
  • Reply 7 of 24
    seek3rseek3r Posts: 179member
    hey guys, long time lurker, first time poster.

Anyway, wondering if people think there's going to be a video card update for the MPs at WWDC or if it'll wait for penryn? Anyone know of precedent of apple updating the video card options without updating the full machine?
  • Reply 8 of 24
    hobbithobbit Posts: 532member
    [delete double post]
  • Reply 9 of 24
    hobbithobbit Posts: 532member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by seek3r View Post

hey guys, long time lurker, first time poster.

Anyway, wondering if people think there's going to be a video card update for the MPs at WWDC or if it'll wait for penryn? Anyone know of precedent of apple updating the video card options without updating the full machine?

Welcome seek3r!

I thought the consensus was that new graphic cards will require new drivers which will likely be only available for Leopard as double efforts (Tiger and Leopard) is beyond what the Mac pro desktop market supports. In doubt the more modern OS version will win.

Or in other words, no new graphics cards until Leopard (i.e. October).
  • Reply 10 of 24
    hmmm, good point on the drivers. It may be worth it to buy now instead of waiting the next couple weeks then, though I guess it can't hurt to wait either...

Decisions, decisions... :-p
  • Reply 11 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Royboy View Post

I got my ram at OWC. $479 now it's like $399.

I've never had any problems with OWC. I'm going to try and send the ram back actually. I'm so pissed with everything Apple right now! Except for my stock.... I want to send it all back and wait for the next MacPro or just get a PC.

Mac Genius= JOKE
  • Reply 12 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by namachtag View Post

I got my ram at OWC. $479 now it's like $399.

I've never had any problems with OWC. I'm going to try and send the ram back actually. I'm so pissed with everything Apple right now! Except for my stock.... I want to send it all back and wait for the next MacPro or just get a PC.

Mac Genius= JOKE

I actually just bit the bullet while I was advising someone else on ram and bought a mac pro. Was thinking about it, and honestly, my need outweighed the slim chance of an update or small price drop (which probably wouldn't effect my developer price) at WWDC. Grabbed the same ram from OWC I advised my friend to get :-).

Ship date is monday it seems, so I'll be happy. I can understand why you're pissed though. The apple store is like *any* store, the sales people are there to get your money. A *good* salesperson knows their stuff, the problem is that the geniuses don't usually know a lot and even worse, the elitist atmosphere they project sometimes makes it hard to get through their thick skulls that they're wrong (Though sometimes they listen, I actually spent a while explaining the difference between virtualization and emulation to a couple geniuses a few weeks ago for example).
  • Reply 13 of 24
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Tigerton is due the second half of this year. Before they come out there is nothing to update with.
  • Reply 14 of 24
    snoopysnoopy Posts: 1,901member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by seek3r View Post

. . . the problem is that the geniuses don't usually know a lot and even worse, the elitist atmosphere they project sometimes makes it hard to get through their thick skulls that they're wrong . . .

Just like doctors!

• Reply 15 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dylanny View Post

Anyone?

apple seems to waiting the for the next chip set for exons
  • Reply 16 of 24
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe_the_dragon View Post

apple seems to waiting the for the next chip set for exons

I'm not sure what your all talking about, unless it strictly graphics cards, because Apple just updated the Mac Pro like a month ago or something. Anyone remember the Quad core xeon processors that just went in?

Apple isn't going to update the MP again until MWSF IMO.
  • Reply 17 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

I'm not sure what your all talking about, unless it strictly graphics cards, because Apple just updated the Mac Pro like a month ago or something. Anyone remember the Quad core xeon processors that just went in?

that was just a cpu drop in they can do the same thing with video cards at any time.
  • Reply 18 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#Mac_Pro

Product Mac Pro

Recommendation: Buy Now! - Product just updated *

Notes * The last Mac Pro updates only introduced an 8-Core Mac Pro, leaving the rest of the line untouched. Updates to the regular Mac Pros may still be coming.

Last Release April 04, 2007
  • Reply 19 of 24
    cubitcubit Posts: 846member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by snoopy View Post

Just like doctors!

• Reply 20 of 24
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe_the_dragon View Post

that was just a cpu drop in they can do the same thing with video cards at any time.

I wouldn't bet on any Mac pro graphics update until after leopard is released, and at that point I would imagine Apple would just hold it off until MWSF.