Free iPhone unlocking solution released for download

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 39
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,545member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by audiopollution View Post

I think you'll find that the majority of people who will find this useful are those who live outside the US.

Like me.

So, to get this a few months earlier, you're willing to give up all of the improvements that Apple will be handing out over the next few years?

Or do you live in such a far out place that you don't think the phone will get there for years?
  • Reply 22 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

We don't know. The last update did not disable the existing unlocks. Restore and update resiliency was one of the things some of the sites tested.

I don't remember improvements being promised, and the updates so far didn't add anything that I remember. It's rare that I've seen product feature additions on updates. From Apple's iPod, I think it was limited to podcast support and game support.

It's what Jobs pretty much promised. They will be adding features as time went on. That's what was said.

The ability to add (legal) ringtones. The ability to buy from itunes over wireless. The smaller added features that others have noticed, such as more options added to some choices. The ability to add a period and a space by pressing the space bar twice.

That's just after two months.
  • Reply 23 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

From a reply from Apple in an update to that story:

"software updates will most likely break"

http://www.gearlog.com/2007/09/apple...nt_hate_ip.php

Joswiak was speaking of 3rd-Party applications written for the iPhone. At the time of his comment, the software-unlock was not available.
  • Reply 24 of 39
    Quote:

So, to get this a few months earlier, you're willing to give up all of the improvements that Apple will be handing out over the next few years?

Or do you live in such a far out place that you don't think the phone will get there for years?

If Apple deem to relock the phone with an upcoming firmware update, so be it. I can deal with the lack of improvements until such time that the phone is available in Canada.
  • Reply 25 of 39
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,737member
    Quote:

How so? Use the software unlock until such time as Apple releases the phone in your country, being wary of firmware updates. At that point, restore the firmware with whatever version works in your country, and after that you can then get all the updates you like.

Unless you think the iTunes firmware restore option will only be available in the US...
  • Reply 26 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by audiopollution View Post

Joswiak was speaking of 3rd-Party applications written for the iPhone. At the time of his comment, the software-unlock was not available.

True, but it could include that as well.
  • Reply 27 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by auxio View Post

How so? Use the software unlock until such time as Apple releases the phone in your country, being wary of firmware updates. At that point, restore the firmware with whatever version works in your country, and after that you can then get all the updates you like.

Unless you think the iTunes firmware restore option will only be available in the US...

I don't really know what to think.

The original interview sounded a very positive note. But the two updates to that, indicated an increasingly negative tone.
  • Reply 28 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BlackSummerNight View Post

A update from Apple will render your phone useless.

You should say may render your phone useless. Apple has went on the record to say it wouldn't actively try to undo unlocks. However, when Apple rewrites the code for updates, some of the updates may break the unlock.

Also, the kid who unlocked the iPhone used the best method because he changed the read only memory. Apple cannot update that. That however, takes cracking open the case.

Finally, you can also restore the iPhone if things get messed up.
  • Reply 29 of 39
    You are taking his comments way out of context. He was addressing application developers and explaining Apple's stance on third party developers who build applications that directly use the OS as opposed to Safari's web development platform. He said Apple's position for now was that it neither would support or discourage such third party development. He said, however, updates may break the third party software and Apple would not currently support developers to ensure their applications are not broken. This makes sense since Apple is likely still going to offer a major update, and the current version of the OS was just meant to get the product out the door.

My point was, he was not talking about unlocking at all. There also is a difference between changing the OS and the firmware. Apple most definitely will update the OS, but not necessarily the firmware.

I also do not think Apple will try too hard to thwart the efforts of people trying to unlock the iPhone. People willing to go to that extreme to use an iPhone are most likely rare. It is making money regardless of whether you sign up with AT&T or not. The few people who use the iPhone unlocked means little to Apple. It made money on the sale, and does not have to service an unlocked iPhone.

Quote:

From a reply from Apple in an update to that story:

"software updates will most likely break"

http://www.gearlog.com/2007/09/apple...nt_hate_ip.php

• Reply 30 of 39
    Quote:

It would be silly to not update. A great deal of the promise of this phone IS the updates. What would be the point of eliminating one of the main reasons for purchasing the phone?

And, if you think that ATTs coverage sucks, you ain't seen nothin' until you're on T-Mobile. If you're lucky, you live in an area where they have decent coverage, but thats not widespread.

I believe Tmoble only has decent coverage if you live near a major interstate. I use to have TMoble years ago I could take a call in the front of my house and it would drop it I went into the kitchen at the back of my house.
  • Reply 31 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TerrinB View Post

You are taking his comments way out of context. He was addressing application developers and explaining Apple's stance on third party developers who build applications that directly use the OS as opposed to Safari's web development platform. He said Apple's position for now was that it neither would support or discourage such third party development. He said, however, updates may break the third party software and Apple would not currently support developers to ensure their applications are not broken. This makes sense since Apple is likely still going to offer a major update, and the current version of the OS was just meant to get the product out the door.

My point was, he was not talking about unlocking at all. There also is a difference between changing the OS and the firmware. Apple most definitely will update the OS, but not necessarily the firmware.

I also do not think Apple will try too hard to thwart the efforts of people trying to unlock the iPhone. People willing to go to that extreme to use an iPhone are most likely rare. It is making money regardless of whether you sign up with AT&T or not. The few people who use the iPhone unlocked means little to Apple. It made money on the sale, and does not have to service an unlocked iPhone.

I know that. But Apple makes firmware updates as well. That could cause problems.
  • Reply 32 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

I believe Tmoble only has decent coverage if you live near a major interstate. I use to have TMoble years ago I could take a call in the front of my house and it would drop it I went into the kitchen at the back of my house.

That's one of their biggest problems.

It's also why they offer good plans and such. It's to make up for their terrible coverage.
  • Reply 33 of 39
    Quote:

That's one of their biggest problems.

It's also why they offer good plans and such. It's to make up for their terrible coverage.

Living out in Cali (both in San Jose and now Sacramento), T-mobile has been great (as good if not better than ATT). Never had a dropped call on T-mobile, but with ATT, I get dropped calls a few times a week (fewest dropped calls my ass!) Honestly, if I wasn't in a 2-year now with ATT, I'd really contemplate switching. Although Visual Voice mail is something awesome....

Plus the prices can't be beat. I was paying $59.99 for unlimited internet, email, sms, 1000 anytime, unlimited nights and weekends. With ATT I am paying $69 for 450 minutes, 5000 night and weekend, 1500 texts, and unlimited internet. Add to the fact that I despise ATT (used to have them pre-cingular and they sucked), both their wireless and landline services.

Don't even get me started with the bull ATT pulls. They (ATT) bought the rights to my apartment complex, so no cable is allowed. For TV, I could care less. DirecTV is fine, if not a bit better than cable was. But for internet, it's DSL or nothing. And to get DSL, you need a landline, with the cheapest line costing $20 (after all the crappy fees). So I am paying close to $75 for internet (with 150 landline minutes within my 15 mile local call zone...woohoo), whereas before I was paying $45 for internet, and it was faster (yea for cable). I love how companies can buy monopolies like that...
  • Reply 34 of 39
    Hear that? That thumping sound? That's the approaching DMCA monster.
  • Reply 35 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fairly View Post

Hear that? That thumping sound? That's the approaching DMCA monster.

...which is just passing by because according to the DMCA is it LEGAL to unlock your phone (at least for the next 2 years or so...can't recall the exact date). It is questionable if you can sell an unlock solution, but the act of unlocking your phone is not illegal.
  • Reply 36 of 39
    ...In Malaysia confirmed for DiGi. Maxis and Celcom not so promising at this stage... I'll wait for full 3G Asian release though.
  • Reply 37 of 39
  • Reply 38 of 39
    It has been tested for both voice and data use extensively in multiple countries, using various carriers and haven't found the existence of any problems. (iphone software update 1.0.2 is required to enter the correct provider details for data use). The European carrier, "3", carries a 3G sim card, disabling the iPhone to work under their network.

While we have taken all possible measures to ensure that the phone will remain unlocked, we can only guarantee the current released versions of updates (up to and including 1.0.2). With any of these versions, even if the phone is fully restored, the phone will remain unlocked. If the future updates changes the baseband, it will relock the phone. Check with us before you perform any upgrades. If an update is required, we will offer it for free IF available for us to do so.