Briefly: redesigned MacBook Pro power adapters on the way

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 33
    rhowarthrhowarth Posts: 144member
    I had one of the first generation adapters with a very lightweight strain relief at the computer end. That did suffer after a few months (not from yanking it out as some people suggested but from using it on my lap while plugged in - all the constant small scale movements eventually caused the cable insulation to fray).

The fault was clearly visible on the cable well before sparks started to fly and the cable melted (though if I'd continued regardless that would no doubt have happened eventually). In any case, Apple replaced the adapter with a new one with a more substantial strain relief and I've not had any problems since (this must have been about a year ago).

-Rolf
  • Reply 22 of 33
    arixarix Posts: 3member
    Oh and by the way, my picture, (the one in the article), was of a normal MacBook's charger, not a MacBook Pro one... So I don't know why AppleInsider is pointing towards the MBP instead of the consumer line.

(I now own a MacBook Pro too)
  • Reply 23 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AriX View Post

Oh and by the way, my picture, (the one in the article), was of a normal MacBook's charger, not a MacBook Pro one... So I don't know why AppleInsider is pointing towards the MBP instead of the consumer line.

(I now own a MacBook Pro too)

I hope you take better care of your magsafe adapter on your Macbook Pro.. That one in the pic is beat to hell.... If I were apple I would call that abuse and make you buy a new one... Mine is over a year old, still looks new, and works great. I guess Apple needs to revamp the power adaptor to make it idiot proof... Did you not realize that this is the device that is providing power to your 3000.00 investment??? DUH !!! Might want to take care of it.
  • Reply 24 of 33
    We had this same problem with the iBooks and Powerbooks of yesteryear.

It won't be fixed. With Apple, it's form over function.
  • Reply 25 of 33
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    I've already had free replacements for two of these power adapters already, for two different MBPs.

I needed to replace the adapter on my first MBP before selling it on eBay. While I procrastinated on setting up they eBay auction for the older MBP for a few weeks, the adapter on my newer MBP began to fray.

I've seen the LED go out on my current replacement power adapter too. It'll be amusing (in kind of a sad way) if this MBP I have now is going to have to get yet another free replacement for its power adapter.
  • Reply 26 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

These Magsafe adapters are very good in concept, but not so good in implementation.

"Good in concept, not so good in implementation" seems to be a larger Apple problem, lately.

\
  • Reply 27 of 33
    Some of us have taken extremely good care of our power cords and still had a problem. It is a design problem. Apple squawked when I brought mine in, said it was not covered under warranty... but they replaced it anyway. I asked them why they would squawk if they were going to replace it anyway... not the best customer service. In any case, the genius at the Apple Store admitted that they easily fray, showed how it happens when the computer is on your lap. They have known for a long time it is a problem.
  • Reply 28 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

These Magsafe adapters are very good in concept, but not so good in implementation.

My chocolate fountain uses this same technology for its plug. But the electrical contacts are much larger. It also uses bakelite, which has a greater immunity to heat, stronger magnets, and of course, the "on" light is a neon, placed in the machine itself.

What on earth is this chocolate fountain of which you speak?
  • Reply 29 of 33
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,545member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bikerdude View Post

What on earth is this chocolate fountain of which you speak?

You haven't seen them? Kids love them. Actually, they are fun when you have a bunch of people iver.

http://www.chocolatefountains.com/?s...tain&tid=exact
  • Reply 30 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by andrewjnyc View Post

I just patched mine with electrical tape after it started to fray (and even shot off a spark or two!). I'm hoping Apple will be willing to replace it gratis (the MBP is still under warranty), since those sparks were, um, not reassuring.

I did that with a powerbook adaptor - it fried my computer.

I managed to get the hard disk out, but the motherboard was gone.

I would suggest you don't do it, based on my own experience.
  • Reply 31 of 33
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,402member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wgauvin View Post

Oh this is great! Yesterday I dropped off my power adapter to get replaced because of the first issue. The reseller said Apple will take 2-3 days. Obviously someone hasn't told them, or this has just come about. Given that I have no other Mac, I'm going to have withdrawal symptoms if this takes more than a few days.

Well my youngest son was shredding some mail for my wife last night and he accidently shredded the magsafe cable that connects to my MBP (and it was plugged in at the time. Luckily no sparks as the paper bin was full...). I had to order a new one today from the Apple store and it cost about $85.00 with tax. I have to wait about ten days for it.

I hope Apple ships me the newer design.
  • Reply 32 of 33
    I bought my wife a Black MacBook for her birthday the day they came out. 1st gen, so that was almost two years ago.

Yesterday the magsafe adapter stopped charging the macbook and I noticed the wire was very hot. I took it to the Apple Store today and they replaced it free.
  • Reply 33 of 33
    Does anyone know if Apple are also going to bring out a new version of the 60W power adapter for MacBook (non-pro), since these seem to have the same issues with overheating/melting?

I'm thinking of buying a MacBook, but don't want to touch one until the power adapter issues are sorted out enough that I'll be able to leave it on when I'm out of the room without having to worry about cables melting, fires starting etc.