Briefly: R.E.M. at Apple Store; iMac inventories, iPhone music apps

Comments

• Reply 21 of 44
    bigebige Posts: 12member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

That's true.

I also hope it also gets an overhaul in looks and goes back to being a stylish trandsetter it once was when it was white and gorgeous- and as all the models before that were as well.

Huh? Jonathan Ives' current aluminum design is absolutely brilliant, and its been an amazing commercial success. I've got both a G5 20" iMac and a new 24" Aluminum unit, and I VASTLY prefer the new unit. In all respects. The glass screen is outstanding, the system performs like a madman, and it is physically smaller (thinner) and more attractive than the old white G5.

I only hope that Apple continues to refine the Aluminum iMacs to be thinner and share more consistent with the developments in the laptop space, such as a keyboard with a trackpad, backlighting on the keyboard, and a substantially improved mouse offering (I've gone through three Apple mice now, and I'm done -- back to Logitech). Apple does many things well, but their mice suck bigtime.
  • Reply 22 of 44
    bigebige Posts: 12member
    Quote:

That's true.

I also hope it also gets an overhaul in looks and goes back to being a stylish trandsetter it once was when it was white and gorgeous- and as all the models before that were as well.

Huh? Jonathan Ives' current aluminum design is absolutely brilliant, and its been an amazing commercial success. I've got both a G5 20" iMac and a new 24" Aluminum unit, and I VASTLY prefer the new unit. In all respects. The glass screen is outstanding, the system performs like a madman, and it is physically smaller (thinner) and more attractive than the old white G5.

I only hope that Apple continues to refine the Aluminum iMacs to be thinner and share more consistent with the developments in the laptop space, such as a keyboard with a trackpad, backlighting on the keyboard, and a substantially improved mouse offering (I've gone through three Apple mice now, and I'm done -- back to Logitech). Apple does many things well, but their mice suck bigtime.
  • Reply 23 of 44
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,528member
    Quote:

It is gorgeous and I do like it that way but I want to see something now that is completely different looking.

And by the way, the sales of the G3 iMacs (original) are what brought Apple the most attention not the current version. The original was completely revolutionary in its design. The current aluminum model is merely evolutionary at most.

I do notice that you don't seem to mind the mismatched aluminum keyboard and your old white machine.

What's interesting about the original iMacs is that while written about constantly, and while many other manufacturers copied their color scheme, Apple's sales didn't increase as a result of their introduction. At most, they may have prevented a deeper slide in sales, but that was about all.

The new aluminum iMacs are overseeing a large surge in Apple desktop sales.

You can't expect a revolution every time a new model comes out.

I really do think that the in-panel computer design the iMac represents is close to the final computer design we'll see.

After all, what could be more idealized than the entire computer in the panel? I can't think of any way Apple could revolutionize the design more than that until totally new display technologies are out, such as the new holographic displays that are just now being seen.

Other than holography, which may not be practical for most computing uses, what else can Apple do?

That means varying the way the current machines look. That's about all.
  • Reply 24 of 44
    Quote:

-it is a real iSore.

iLaugh - hyuck hyuck hyuck!
  • Reply 25 of 44
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pomo View Post

first off, I own an Al iMac and I honestly think that it is the best iMac yet. The colors are great and the black border does have a purpose. Our eyes capture more contrast by placing a true black border around a composition. Also, the white mouse does match the white keys and with the cables

?? Of course you would- you own it. Do you think the laptops should have black borders around their screen also to provide more contrast?

It's still derivitive of the white iMac. The aluminum iMac was released with a completely mismatched keyboard by the way. Finally, the white mouse matches its own cable?
  • Reply 26 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I do notice that you don't seem to mind the mismatched aluminum keyboard and your old white machine.

It's not mismatched. Its (keyboard) colour matches the pedestal of the white iMac. and the keys are white! What's mismatched?
  • Reply 27 of 44
    Quote:

I really do think that the in-panel computer design the iMac represents is close to the final computer design we'll see.

After all, what could be more idealized than the entire computer in the panel? I can't think of any way Apple could revolutionize the design more than that until totally new display technologies are out, such as the new holographic displays that are just now being seen.

Other than holography, which may not be practical for most computing uses, what else can Apple do?

That means varying the way the current machines look. That's about all.

From the Jay Leno chin to the non- height adjusting base there is a lot that could be changed. A new touch screen tablet instead of a mouse perhaps? This current iMac is far from the definitive version that we will see. I look forward to the newer designs.
  • Reply 28 of 44
    Quote:

It's not mismatched. Its (keyboard) colour matches the pedestal of the white iMac. and the keys are white! What's mismatched?

If you like it...
  • Reply 29 of 44
    Quote:

From the Jay Leno chin to the non- height adjusting base there is a lot that could be changed. A new touch screen tablet instead of a mouse perhaps? This current iMac is far from the definitive version that we will see. I look forward to the newer designs.

Those are all minor changes. There is nothing Apple can do about the design itself that wouldn't be a step backwards.

Plenty of Tv's have this chin as well. It's not exclusive to the iMac. The circuits have to go somewhere.
  • Reply 30 of 44
    Quote:

Those are all minor changes. There is nothing Apple can do about the design itself that wouldn't be a step backwards.

Plenty of Tv's have this chin as well. It's not exclusive to the iMac. The circuits have to go somewhere.

??? Why would a design change be step backwards?

What modern monitor has a chin? ???
  • Reply 31 of 44
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,736member
    Quote:

Jailbreaking requires the well known security flaw in the Safari browser in the iPhone to work. While Apple has fixed a number of other security flaws in the iPhone since it came out, they have not fixed that one.

Actually, there are many exploits used for jailbreaking. The Safari TIFF exploit was only one of them. And it actually was fixed with the 1.1.2 firmware update.

Here's a list of the jailbreak exploits found so far:

1) Using some powerful commands available when the phone is in restore mode. Fixed in firmware 1.1.1

2) Invalid TIFF in Safari exploit. Fixed in firmware 1.1.2

3) Creating a symbolic link from the media (writable) filesystem to main (read-only) filesystem. Fixed in firmware 1.1.2

4) Creating a device file in the media filesystem which mimics the device file for the main filesystem and allows for writing to it. Fixed in firmware 1.1.3.

5) Booting the phone from an unsigned RAM disk. This is the currently used jailbreak method.

6) Signing and installing your own pre-jailbroken firmware packages. This is the method that will be used in the future.

c'mon, things are moving fast, you need to stay up-to-date.
  • Reply 32 of 44
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by auxio View Post

Very true. And for 99.9% of users, legit SDK apps will roll over jailbreak apps like a steamroller.

But jailbreak will remain a fun hobby for a few no doubt. Have fun playing while serious programmers are making $$$$$$.
  • Reply 33 of 44
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,736member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

Very true. And for 99.9% of users, legit SDK apps will roll over jailbreak apps like a steamroller.

But jailbreak will remain a fun hobby for a few no doubt. Have fun playing while serious programmers are making $$$$$$.

I lost track there, how many dollar signs in a row = happiness again? Sorry, I was too busy having fun to count.
  • Reply 34 of 44
    pomopomo Posts: 51member
    Quote:

?? Of course you would- you own it. Do you think the laptops should have black borders around their screen also to provide more contrast?

It's still derivitive of the white iMac. The aluminum iMac was released with a completely mismatched keyboard by the way. Finally, the white mouse matches its own cable?

I own it because I bought it, and I bought it because it is a much better design IMO . In my school, they use both, and every time I use the white ones, they feel cheap because they plastic, and the toy look is not my cup of tea. Again, IMO the Al iMac does look more professional and sleek.

In what way is the aluminum iMac mismatched with the "aluminum" keyboard BTW? The keys are white just like the mouse. And about the border, what's your point? You know what, maybe they should add black borders on their laptops, because, believe it or not, the black borders aids our eyes to compare the blacks with the blacks in the composition. This is an old and very useful illustration trick. Also, I like the cool black apple logo .
  • Reply 35 of 44
    No access to Itunes stores via SDK - If I were Apple I would do the same thing to protect the mother hen.
  • Reply 36 of 44
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    There's not that much to be gained to a speed bump this time around. The speed will probably go up negligibly at best, and the chips might run so slightly cooler.
  • Reply 37 of 44
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pomo View Post

In what way is the aluminum iMac mismatched with the "aluminum" keyboard BTW? The keys are white just like the mouse. And about the border, what's your point? You know what, maybe they should add black borders on their laptops, because, believe it or not, the black borders aids our eyes to compare the blacks with the blacks in the composition. This is an old and very useful illustration trick. Also, I like the cool black apple logo .

It's like an Apple trend to move towards a kaleidoscope of colors, there's the aluminum, black bezel and white keys, white remote, white mouse. I think it's bizarre. As much as I didn't like the color, the previous version was all white, and pretty consistent that way.
  • Reply 38 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by auxio View Post

Actually, there are many exploits used for jailbreaking. The Safari TIFF exploit was only one of them. And it actually was fixed with the 1.1.2 firmware update.

Here's a list of the jailbreak exploits found so far:

1) Using some powerful commands available when the phone is in restore mode. Fixed in firmware 1.1.1

2) Invalid TIFF in Safari exploit. Fixed in firmware 1.1.2

3) Creating a symbolic link from the media (writable) filesystem to main (read-only) filesystem. Fixed in firmware 1.1.2

4) Creating a device file in the media filesystem which mimics the device file for the main filesystem and allows for writing to it. Fixed in firmware 1.1.3.

5) Booting the phone from an unsigned RAM disk. This is the currently used jailbreak method.

6) Signing and installing your own pre-jailbroken firmware packages. This is the method that will be used in the future.

You're right, I haven't been paying muchattention to it. I just remember, not long ago, reading about the Safari problem as being the most important of those. If it's actually fixed, that's interesting.

But the phone is a fairly simple device. At some point there won't be any usable holes left. that still makes my argument about jailbreaking staying viable, true.
  • Reply 39 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

There's not that much to be gained to a speed bump this time around. The speed will probably go up negligibly at best, and the chips might run so slightly cooler.

Possibly, we might see a better GPU, which is why I haven't bought the 24" iMacs for my wife and daughter yet.
  • Reply 40 of 44
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    Is the current iMac GPU upgradable? Or is that only in MacPros? That is the only thing that is bothering me about my 4GB RAM MacBook. Can't even use the higher performance iTunes visualizers without getting FPS drops. If I could upgrade my GPU and then buy a 1TB TimeMachine drive I'd be set.