Huge problem...Please help!!!

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I am running a Mac Pro with Leopard 10.5.2

I was trying to setup a folders to be shared yesterday and I messed up with setting the permissions. I created a new account to login with, with a password. I command clicked and went to get info of the folders I wanted to share, then I went to the sharing and permissions settings on the bottom. This is where I made my mistake I think. I highlighted the user name I was currently on and selected write only drop box, and set everyone to no access, leaving the system and admin alone. I did this for 4 of the folders I wanted to share. One being all of my music, my movies, my projects, and my documents folder.

I then tried to transfer some files to the computer with my laptop and it locked up saying I couldn't do that. I restarted my computer to only find out that it sits on the apple logo screen with the little loading circle, and never goes away. I tried booting in safe mode, but it won't load up. I can't lose this information, it's extremely important, I was trying to share it with the rest of my network so multiple people can work at the same time. I tried putting the Leopard install cd and repair the permissions but it didn't seem to find any problems. How do I fix this problem????

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    rob05aurob05au Posts: 348member
    If you have another mac woyj forewaire connect the two with a firewire cable and boot the good one and whilst booting the problem one hold down the T key andthe HD should show on the other.

This will allow easy access to the data to copy to another location in case a install is needed.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Digital Disasta View Post

I was trying to setup a folders to be shared yesterday and I messed up with setting the permissions. I created a new account to login with, with a password. I command clicked and went to get info of the folders I wanted to share, then I went to the sharing and permissions settings on the bottom. This is where I made my mistake I think.

I then tried to transfer some files to the computer with my laptop and it locked up saying I couldn't do that. I restarted my computer to only find out that it sits on the apple logo screen with the little loading circle, and never goes away. I tried booting in safe mode, but it won't load up.

It seems your nickname is upon you. Well, OK losing data is no joke. And I cannot believe that changing the permissions on some random folders of some user could lead to a system unable to boot. I think that your problem is elsewhere but I cannot say where exactly (defective HD probably). In the meantime, and in order to avoid data loss, you should apply what rob05au said.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PB View Post

It seems your nickname is upon you. Well, OK losing data is no joke. And I cannot believe that changing the permissions on some random folders of some user could lead to a system unable to boot. I think that your problem is elsewhere but I cannot say where exactly (defective HD probably). In the meantime, and in order to avoid data loss, you should apply what rob05au said.

Well I connected two computers with a firewire cable and changed the permissions back to what they were supposed to be, restarted the comp, and it booted up again. I think I need to read up more on network sharing and out of network sharing before I attempt this again.