How to hand-down your old iPhone after upgrading to iPhone 3G

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Original iPhone owners upgrading to an iPhone 3G can hand-down their old iPhone to a family member or friend with a few simple steps, the most complex of which entails a trek down to a local AT&T retail store to pick up a fresh SIM card.

Giving your old iPhone to a family member or friend

You can hand down your old iPhone to someone else while activating your new iPhone 3G at an Apple or AT&T store, or anytime thereafter.

Since your original iPhone's phone number is going to be used on your new iPhone 3G, the person receiving the original iPhone will need a new SIM card, which you can get by stopping by an AT&T retail store.

You can add a new line or transfer an existing line to the original iPhone from home using iTunes. If you need help adding a new line, you can always walk into an AT&T store and see an associate.

Once you've obtained a new SIM card for the original iPhone, the original iPhone can be activated through iTunes like you originally activated it.

If the original iPhone is instead activated with its new SIM card in an AT&T store, you'll want to later connect it to iTunes and select "existing customer" to complete the process, even if you're new to AT&T.

Users who'll be porting a non-AT&T phone number for use with an original iPhone can review the required number porting information covered in one of AT&T's earlier video guides.

If AT&T tells you your out-of-area mobile number is ineligible for porting, try the steps taken by AppleInsider's Publisher last June when he successfully ported his 'ineligible' mobile number to AT&T and iPhone.

A video guide covering the hand-down process follows. AT&T is also offering a PDF file containing similar information and instructions on how to remove and replace an iPhone's SIM card.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 30
    noriyorinoriyori Posts: 26member
    does anyone know if the person I hand it down to will have to buy the $20 unlimited data?

they're already on AT&T so that's no problem and the data for them is not worth the added cost.
  • Reply 2 of 30
    probablyprobably Posts: 139member
    So there is value in keeping my old iPhone as backup?
  • Reply 3 of 30
    [QUOTE=AppleInsider;1272177]Original iPhone owners upgrading to an iPhone 3G can hand-down their old iPhone to a family member or friend with a few simple steps, the most complex of which entails a trek down to a local AT&T retail store to pick up a fresh SIM card.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++

I know what AT&T wants me to do but.....

I have another AT&T phone besides my iPhone. Is it possible to take my other SIM card out of the non-iPhone and put it in my old iPhone and it will work? In the past, before iPhone, I had several phone that I could use the SIM in and they all would work without a problem.

I am going to update and would like to do this with my old iPhone and don't want to activate. I don't need to use the advance functions. Just the phone and a few apps / games

Any ideas?
  • Reply 4 of 30
    [QUOTE=airdog242;1272213]
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Original iPhone owners upgrading to an iPhone 3G can hand-down their old iPhone to a family member or friend with a few simple steps, the most complex of which entails a trek down to a local AT&T retail store to pick up a fresh SIM card.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++

I know what AT&T wants me to do but.....

I have another AT&T phone besides my iPhone. Is it possible to take my other SIM card out of the non-iPhone and put it in my old iPhone and it will work? In the past, before iPhone, I had several phone that I could use the SIM in and they all would work without a problem.

I am going to update and would like to do this with my old iPhone and don't want to activate. I don't need to use the advance functions. Just the phone and a few apps / games

Any ideas?

I just tried with my roommates SIM in my iPhone. everything worked, but it wouldn't connect to AT&T, even though it showed full signal.

Which is I guess because you have to activate the phone with the new SIM via itunes. I didn't get the activate you iphone screen though. maybe when I reset the phone to factory settings I can activate the new SIM with the phone but I'm not going to try until I get the new phone.

I just hope you can activate without having to upgrade to unlimited data as that's the only way my roommate will buy my iphone.
  • Reply 5 of 30
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noriyori View Post

I just tried with my roommates SIM in my iPhone. everything worked, but it wouldn't connect to AT&T, even though it showed full signal.

Which is I guess because you have to activate the phone with the new SIM via itunes. I didn't get the activate you iphone screen though. maybe when I reset the phone to factory settings I can activate the new SIM with the phone but I'm not going to try until I get the new phone.

I just hope you can activate without having to upgrade to unlimited data as that's the only way my roommate will buy my iphone.

I assume he has AT&T. What kind of phone does he have? Did you unlock the iPhone first with ZiPhone?
  • Reply 6 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I assume he has AT&T. What kind of phone does he have? Did you unlock the iPhone first with ZiPhone?

he has a sony ericsson. I jailbroke the iphone but I didn't unlock the carrier as I'm on AT&T.
  • Reply 7 of 30
    Quote:

he has a sony ericsson. I jailbroke the iphone but I didn't unlock the carrier as I'm on AT&T.

The unlocking is what allows it to use the non-Apple supplied SIM. You can use ZiPhone to unlock it as it is without losing anything on the device (but backup just to be safe). After that, the SIM will work.
  • Reply 8 of 30
    Quote:

The unlocking is what allows it to use the non-Apple supplied SIM. You can use ZiPhone to unlock it as it is without losing anything on the device (but backup just to be safe). After that, the SIM will work.

That's the thing. We are both on AT&T with AT&T SIMs.

The phone functions just like it would if it could not connect to any cell towers. Everything works fine, but the AT&T logo never shows up and it can't make calls.

He also has the old SIM that lacks the 3G logo on it. Which I thought the old and new SIMs are the same. That they just added the 3G logo to all the SIMs after they rolled out 3G, as any phone (no matter the capabilities) they sell new comes with the 3G logo.

As I said before I don't want to restore my iPhone to factory settings and try setting it up as a new phone using his SIM because I'm still using it.

thanks for your input BTW.
  • Reply 9 of 30
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    I'd prefer if people "handed down" their first-gen iPhones on eBay. I wouldn't mind having one to replace my iPod Touch (and add a couple of functions the iPod lacks), but I hate AT&T with a vengeance. So unlocked is the only way to go, but their new in-store activation policy for the 3G iPhone means I won't pick up one of those. Come on, guys, sell your old one for a decent price (like $250-300 for the 16GB).
  • Reply 10 of 30
    Quote:

That's the thing. We are both on AT&T with AT&T SIMs.

The phone functions just like it would if it could not connect to any cell towers. Everything works fine, but the AT&T logo never shows up and it can't make calls.

He also has the old SIM that lacks the 3G logo on it. Which I thought the old and new SIMs are the same. That they just added the 3G logo to all the SIMs after they rolled out 3G, as any phone (no matter the capabilities) they sell new comes with the 3G logo.

As I said before I don't want to restore my iPhone to factory settings and try setting it up as a new phone using his SIM because I'm still using it.

There is a difference between newer and older SIMs, though I have only read about it. AT&T or not, the unlocking makes all modern SIMs possible, not just the 'special' one that came with the iPhone.

ZiPhone didn't format my phone. It maintained everything right down the WebClip icons on the homepage, but unlocked it, added the install app and ZiPhone WebClip, and added FreeBSD baseband and SSH. Quite impressive, but I have only used it a few times so my memory may be off so it's best not to completely trust me on that.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kolchak View Post

I'd prefer if people "handed down" their first-gen iPhones on eBay. I wouldn't mind having one to replace my iPod Touch (and add a couple of functions the iPod lacks), but I hate AT&T with a vengeance. So unlocked is the only way to go, but their new in-store activation policy for the 3G iPhone means I won't pick up one of those. Come on, guys, sell your old one for a decent price (like $250-300 for the 16GB).

Right now the cheapest is Craig's List. But meet in a public place as there are reports people being lured to bad areas and then robbed knowing that they'd have a few bills on them.
  • Reply 11 of 30
    jubelumjubelum Posts: 4,490member
    $399 for existing customers? That's "a great price"?

Sod off, AT&T. Way to treat your customers.
  • Reply 12 of 30
    Quote:

There is a difference between newer and older SIMs, though I have only read about it. AT&T or not, the unlocking makes all modern SIMs possible, not just the 'special' one that came with the iPhone.

ZiPhone didn't format my phone. It maintained everything right down the WebClip icons on the homepage, but unlocked it, added the install app and ZiPhone WebClip, and added FreeBSD baseband and SSH. Quite impressive, but I have only used it a few times so my memory may be off so it's best not to completely trust me on that.

So you need to unlock the carrier in ZiPhone just to use an older SIM even though it's still AT&T?
  • Reply 13 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jubelum View Post

$399 for existing customers? That's "a great price"?

Sod off, AT&T. Way to treat your customers.

Are you uneligible for an upgrade? the upgrade cost is still $199 & $299 for existing customers.
  • Reply 14 of 30
    Quote:

So you need to unlock the carrier in ZiPhone just to use an older SIM even though it's still AT&T?

I've read that if the SIM is too old it won't work regardless of unlocking, but I dont' know if the absence of the '3G' printing is evidence of it being too old.

What is uncertain is if the iPhone comes with a special SIM that only works with the iPhone, but can't use any other SIM, even a SIM from another AT&T phone, unless you unlock the iPhone first.
  • Reply 15 of 30
    cmckcmck Posts: 6member
    A friend of mine has a faulty iPhone and is using the SIM from it in an old Siemens SL55. It's working just fine. So the SIM card supplied with the iPhone probably isn't anything special.
  • Reply 16 of 30
    Quote:

Are you uneligible for an upgrade? the upgrade cost is still $199 & $299 for existing customers.

No, I just got on AT&T in MAY, in anticipation of the iPhone 3G.

In appreciation for bringing them business too early, AT&T wants to double the price of an iPhone 3G.

Time for an EECB.
  • Reply 17 of 30
    Quote:

In appreciation for bringing them business too early, AT&T wants to double the price of an iPhone 3G.

Time for an EECB.

Well I can then guess you probably didn't buy after May 27?

If you purchased on the 27th or later, which is a possible 5 days, you get the upgrade for free.
  • Reply 18 of 30
    skottichanskottichan Posts: 193member
    Quote:

Time for an EECB.

So...wait...

You are wanting preferential treatment for jumping the gun and signing a contract 2 months before the release of the phone you want?

I just have to say, wow, that's a new one.
  • Reply 19 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by skottichan View Post

You are wanting preferential treatment for jumping the gun and signing a contract 2 months before the release of the phone you want?

Preferential? No. Preferential would be "I'm an existing customer, I want an iPhone for $149."

The same deal that everyone else gets when they walk in? Yes.
  • Reply 20 of 30
    Quote:

Preferential? No. Preferential would be "I'm an existing customer, I want an iPhone for $149."

The same deal that everyone else gets when they walk in? Yes.

But no everyone gets the same deal. There are those that do not owe AT&T money and those that owe AT&T from having an unpaid, subsidized phone on their account. That is the difference between eligible and ineligible.

If you want the $199 price then pay for the early termination fee before buying the iPhone.