Apple releases new 15" MacBook Pro

Comments

• Reply 261 of 383
    Man are they ugly.

What in the world? Is this Apple? I suggest that Steve is currently operating in a silent mode right now allowing his understudy to run things as his health is obviously in bad shape. I do feel for him on a personal level. I can only pray for a miracle on his behalf. He is a man and he has a family.

On the notebook front, the specs are tech are very very good. the dual graphics option is really great. I like the class trackpad and the screen too. However, the way the black mixes with the rest of the notebook just looks cheap. It looks like a Toshiba or an HP.

I hope they refresh this design in a couple of years. It does not look fluid and integrated like before. The only reason I can see for this is that they will come out with anodized black aluminum at a premium price that will make it look proper and it will come out first on the MBP 17.

overrall, I am happey to see th eupgrades put Apple back on top of the notebook market all the way around, but very very sad to see the design direction. it works on the iMac and iPhone, but NOT on the these, unfortunately. This has got to be the first time i have truly been disappointed with apple design. I have not always agreed with it, but this just flies in the face of good aesthetics.
  • Reply 262 of 383
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by delany View Post

The old Macbooks did have Firewire, I think? So they were removed on the new ones. Not good - what are people with DV camcorders who want to use iMovie to do? This must be a big part of you average family MacBook usage.

And keeping the old MacBook at the low end looks like a rush move to placate expectations that the update would bring entry prices down significantly. In this environment Apple needed something solidly desirable but in the lower price range. The improvements here are too esoteric and the price remains too high.

Overall, it looks a bit rushed and ill-thought-out to me, despite some interesting specifics.

Good the price is high. Keeps it out of the hands of Morons. I wish they had done the same with the iPhone 3G.
  • Reply 263 of 383
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Why did the hard drive suddenly become easily accessible? Weren't Mac zealots arguing that ease of access does not matter? That making the insides easier to access would weaken the case and make the laptop thicker? But now Apple is saying that the new MacBook Pro case is thinner and stronger than before. So what happened here? Does this mean Apple made you all look like idiots?

There will be no video iPod. Nobody wants a video iPod.

Apple will not make cell phones.

Apple will never switch to Intel processors.
  • Reply 264 of 383
    targontargon Posts: 103member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

I agree. for laptops, you just need to open the display at 90 degrees while facing you to avoid glare. Always worked for me.

The mentality of people posting comments such as this are becoming unnerving.

Matte screens had no glare issues, these mirror finish displays have huge glare issues which are acknowledged by everyone, yet you and offer a work around to a problem that was introduced. You tell us the glare is no problem but you tell us in the same line that you always just move the display to avoid the glare. So which is it? Why do you bother moving if the glare is not a problem? Do you people not consider closing the blinds in a room when the TV has reflections and glare on obstructing the picture? Why do they make home theatre rooms without windows?

You people are making zero sense.

Ill have a matte display to begin with then I won't have problems with reflections and thus I wont have to reconfigure my work area to avoid them. talk about having your headz up your a$$'s
  • Reply 265 of 383
    targontargon Posts: 103member
    Quote:

melgross

Enough is enough!

Yes I agree, that should be enough from you!!! You have embarrassed yourself enough in this thread. I don't think you're a professional at anything you have claimed to be in this thread. Is it possible to set you to ignore on this forum?
  • Reply 266 of 383
    It doesn't say it anywhere in the Apple website, but I have actually learned that the glass layer of the screen is fully removable. See here for details: http://www.sigmaaldrich.com/catalog/...LDRICH/Z136441

But come on people. NO BLU-RAY? NO HDMI OUT?!?!?!?! NO FIREWIRE 400?!?!?!?! ONLY TWO USB PORTS *AGAIN*??!?!?!!??!?!??!?!!??!?! NO TRUE 8-BIT-PER-CHANNEL LCD PANEL, NOT EVEN AS AN OPTION?!?!?!?!?!??! ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And two GPUs... BUT YOU CAN ONLY USE ONE AT A TIME?!?!?!?!?!?!!??!?!??!?!?!??!?!??!

Do they still sell bullets at Walmart? Because I'm going to SHOOT MYSELF IN THE FING HEAD
  • Reply 267 of 383
    OH BUT ... don't you realize that they had to make these new MacBook Pros crappy because, frankly, everyone like me who just found out that their NVIDIA 8600M GT model WAS DEFECTIVE FROM DAY 1.. it obviates the potential problem of us demanding replacement units of the new one, since why WHY would we ever trade a matte screen unit for that crap?
  • Reply 268 of 383
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

They gave that answer at the event today. Apparently, the licensing is a mess right now, and costs for the drives are too high.

So they say.

But they had no problem adding a $1,000 DVD recorder to my DigitalAudio model back in the early 2000's.

I think it's an excuse to put it off as long as possible.

BULL S***!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Apple *used* to be the market leader when it came to cutting edge technologies. Now they are seriously lagging behind. Lenovo has the only laptop with 24-bit color screen. HP has one with a gorgeous 18" display.

Sony has laptops with Blu-Ray and some which are ultra-portable (much smaller than MacBook Air).

I'm going to go wash the puke out of my mouth.
  • Reply 269 of 383
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,517member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Targon View Post

Yes I agree, that should be enough from you!!! You have embarrassed yourself enough in this thread. I don't think you're a professional at anything you have claimed to be in this thread. Is it possible to set you to ignore on this forum?

Yes, you can. Please do so, and cut yourself off as well.
  • Reply 270 of 383
    Anyone know if you can put 8gig in with 2 4gig chips?
  • Reply 271 of 383
    Quote:

They gave that answer at the event today. Apparently, the licensing is a mess right now, and costs for the drives are too high.

So they say.

But they had no problem adding a $1,000 DVD recorder to my DigitalAudio model back in the early 2000's.

I think it's an excuse to put it off as long as possible.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jezThomp View Post

Yes, I know.

You can't.
  • Reply 272 of 383
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Actually, your only chance of color accuracy for print is to use a prepress quality ISP display like Eizo - not even the 30 inch Cinema Display is adequate, so it certainly doesn't given reason that a matte or a glossy notebook display would be used for such purposes.

I was going to say the exact same thing regarding a Barco or Eizo display for "PRO" graphics work. Using any and all displays on any and all laptops as your primary monitor is NOT working as a professional.

With that said, I must agree though that Apple has made many a mistake with this upgrade and lack of professional users in mind. We've paid hefty prices for pro solutions, and have kept Apple in business since day one. The consumer market has inevitably taken over our major role in the health of Apple these days... but to disregard us and our needs and wishes completely, is nothing less than spitting on us.

Why is it that it seems of late that professional graphic/photo and design professionals are getting thoroughly screwed over from all directions? You can't work (seriously) on a Winbox (let's get that outa the way completely!). Adobe can't get their software together intelligently and at a sane price point, and refuses to build 64 bit aps for the Mac 'til who knows when.

Now Apple decides to start taking away standards that THEY created or originally championed, such as FW, Gigabit Ethernet(MBA), and matte screen options for Pros, knowing that gloss is not a Pro option regarding color accuracy, even if you are only using it at a client's and don't have a pro calibrated display available.

Maybe I should look into changing my profession I guess. Perhaps a Financial ANAL-cyst, since you can get bailed out by the govt. if you make the wrong choices... or just skip to the Bahamas to savor a cocktail... where (a) glass and glossy tans is a good thing.
  • Reply 273 of 383
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jezThomp View Post

Uh, interresting question (if you are talking about RAM). I'm quite interested in hearing this as well

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rasmoose View Post

Hi.

I am quite happy with the update, and in fact, I have just ordered my first MBP. YAY! Can't wait for it to arrive The order confirmation said it would be shipped in eight days, however, the estimated delivery date was November 3rd og 4th. Hope they aren't going to need a week to ship it from Ireland to Denmark :-|

However, one thing about the update bugs me: The Mini DisplayPort. I would so much rather have had a HDMI. But now that I haven't gotten that, what do I do, when I want to hook my MBP up to my Panasonic PZ85 plasma (42" 1080p)?

Is the Mini DisplayPort plug something Apple invented themselves? I would love to find a third-party Mini DisplayPort -> HDMI cable, instead of having to buy Apple's own Mini DisplayPort to DVI adapter (grr) and a DVI-HDMI cable.

Can anyone answer this question?

Cheers.
  • Reply 274 of 383
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rasmoose View Post

Uh, interresting question (if you are talking about RAM). I'm quite interested in hearing this as well

Can anyone answer this question?

Cheers.

Well you can buy a Miniport -> DVI adapter when you buy your MacBook Pro ($29 option.. this sort of thing used to *come with* a Macbook Pro.. oh well!!). Then get a DVI -> HDMI adapter. Chain 'em.

Someone prolly makes a Miniport -> HDMI adapter.. though it wasn't immediately googleable. If it's not out yet, it's short in coming.

I do like the solid block of aluminum that the new MBP is made from. That way I can flog the Apple store people with it until its glass screen and trackpad break.

Don't they realize this is a terrorist threat? A terrorist could take it on the plane, break the glass screen into sharp pieces and hijack the plane with it??
  • Reply 275 of 383
    No matter how its built , end result looks sub $1000 shiny Fujitsu crap. I'm sorry but there's no way i'm replacing my macbook pro with this shiny contraption. They better not scrap mac pro cuz that's the only mac that's worth its name.

and the cost ??? dual dvi adapter 100 bucks .. really ? someone forgot to mention that. remote , another extra $20 ? What's next ? If i want it in a box , is it gonna be another $10 ?
  • Reply 276 of 383
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by darkgoob View Post

Well you can buy a Miniport -> DVI adapter when you buy your MacBook Pro ($29 option.. this sort of thing used to *come with* a Macbook Pro.. oh well!!). Then get a DVI -> HDMI adapter. Chain 'em.

Yep, I know that I can do that But (like you, it seems), I refuse to let Apple earn money on that adapter. Also, I would prefer not to connect cables to each other, I have enough spaghetti as it is

Quote:

Someone prolly makes a Miniport -> HDMI adapter.. though it wasn't immediately googleable. If it's not out yet, it's short in coming.

I hope you're right, that's exactly the kind of cable I'm looking for.

But is the Mini DisplayPort something Apple invented themselves, and thus something third party companies would have a hard time making a cable for, or what?

Thanks for your reply

Rasmus
  • Reply 277 of 383
    Quote:

Not quite. It's an odd conclusion. They do state that glossy does have better color, contrast, blacks etc. It's even slightly better in a dark room!

Why you would WANT to edit with inferior specs is strange.

But you might also note that in its most critical, and most expensive line, the medical monitor line, they do use glossy.

Fact is, no one can do critical editing on a laptop in less than very good surrounding conditions. Better yet, you shouldn't do critical color work with a laptop at all. I don't know any pro who does.

It's a perfectly logical conclusion. Nowhere does Eizo say that the color is better on glossy displays in a dark room; Eizo claims that given equivalent specs, the reproduction is roughly even, and since this is true, then why use glossy at all? Eizo says that glossy displays can LOOK more vibrant, not that they are more color accurate. Glossy displays have a tendency to crush blacks and make subtle shades look all too dark. This is fine for movie viewing (hence, why Eizo recommends glossy for watching films), but not acceptable for graphics editing.

Medical monitors are designed for a completely different purpose, with different features in mind, but you're bringing them up why?

Of course pros should not use their laptops' LCDs for careful work. This is not my point. My only point is that you, the resident genius, are dead wrong about glossy displays being better overall image quality.

BTW, your contention about the olden days when pros used glossy displays exclusively makes little historical sense since CRTs were the norm back then. A "glossy" CRT is a completely different beast to glossy LCDs.

Despite your cynicism, pro matte LCDs from quality makers like Eizo are not "worse" than they used to be back in the golden age.
  • Reply 278 of 383
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

Why did the hard drive suddenly become easily accessible? Weren't Mac zealots arguing that ease of access does not matter? That making the insides easier to access would weaken the case and make the laptop thicker? But now Apple is saying that the new MacBook Pro case is thinner and stronger than before. So what happened here? Does this mean Apple made you all look like idiots?

Hey, I'm as big a Mac fan as any other, and I was never arguing that the hard drive shouldn't be easily accessible.

I still love my Pismo. Upgradable hard drive, RAM, Airport card, optical drive and even processor!

Amorya
  • Reply 279 of 383
    jjarojjaro Posts: 29member
    So I have been waiting months to buy a new computer, and hearing all of you fools do nothing than just bitch about Apple is pretty funny. If you hate them so much, for not catering to your specific needs (which will NEVER HAPPEN), then just switch over to Windows and stop complaining. Enjoy the BS that Windows offers. Especially you there, Melgross, you need to get out of the house and find a life. 14,000+ posts? That's almost as bad as an addiction to World of Warcraft, ignoring your husband/wife and kids for the sake of people that you will likely never meet. You disgust me.

Enough of that. Personally, like I said, I have been waiting months for this announcement because my Powerbook is just not cutting it anymore. I will check these out when I get back into the States, and if they look good, buy one.
  • Reply 280 of 383
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

The Blu-Ray model? $4400 and not shipping yet. The base model is $500 more than the base Air, starting at 1.2GHz CPU. The number of screen dots are actually pretty close, Air 1.024,000 pixels vs 1,049,088 pixels, a 2.5% difference.

And they may never really ship them. Not enough orders? Next time drop into a Sony store and talk to their sales reps.