New imac, time capsule

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hi everyone

I was hoping someone could help me.

My dad has just bought a 20" imac along with the time capsule 500gb. He has a Bt business hub that is the dsl modem and router for his internet.

The Time Capsule was bought under the impression it would replace the Bt Hub. Having done a bit of post-purchase research I see that this isnt the case.

It was primarily bought as a backup so the fact it cant act as a wireless router /modem (i mean to be able to get rid of the business hub which is rubbish) isnt a major problem.

However after setting it all up i noticed download speeds to be on the low side. When the bt hub was connected via ethernet to his pc, download speeds of around 3-400k was the norm. Now it's 6-10k. I have the Bt hub going into TC via ethernet, with airport picking up the BT hub.

TC is configured as "extending a wireless network". No errors are reported and everything has been set as the TC recommended.

Does anyone have the same setup and can advise me?

Many thanks

Peter

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    I think I might be able to help. I have a roughly similar system.

Firstly operate your BT Hub as normal, it should be distributing IP's and acting as the DHCP server. I wish I could disable this on mine (O2 Router) to have a server to do that but I haven't worked out how yet.

I would disable the wireless networking capabilities of the BT hub since you don't really need 2 wireless networks in the same place.

Consequently set the time capsule to be plugged into the BT hub from the LAN port of the BT Hub to the WAN port of the TC.

Next get into the configuration set up of the time capsule and set it as a network bridge. This will stop it distributing IP addresses, eliminating possible IP conflicts throughout the network.

Use the TC to create the wireless network from there on out. The disadvantage of this is that I don't know how to configure MAC address filtering, since the TC is not the DHCP server. On top of this you should be able to set your wireless network password and network speed as normal (ideally 802.11n within the 5GHz range).

Hope this speeds it up