Can I dock my new MacBook?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I just bought a new MacBook and realized that it's more powerful than my iMac (late 2007, Al).

So, I was thinking, can I sell my iMac and just use my new MacBook?

I'd like to be able to just set it on my desk, and hook up a monitor, as well as use a wireless kybd and mouse. Can I do that using the Apple bluetooth kybd & mouse?

Also, would there be any way at all to run 2 monitors from my new MacBook? I'd like to have two 20"ers side by side, the way that it is now with my iMac and a second monitor.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    You most certainly will be able to use your Macbook as a primary computer and replace your iMac, on the premise that you can fit all your data on the Macbook's hard disk drive if your not using an external.

The bluetooth keyboard and mouse should work perfectly on the new macbook. Bluetooth is a standard format, I remember doing the same as you in the past with my old computer.

The issue with 2 external monitors. I believe this is not possible at the moment using the default apple hardware, only if the 1 screen is your external monitor and the other screen is the macbook is dualscreening possible at this time. Running a dual screen set up with a macbook without using the macbook screen I am not sure. I don't think so though
  • Reply 2 of 8
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iMick View Post

I just bought a new MacBook and realized that it's more powerful than my iMac (late 2007, Al).

So, I was thinking, can I sell my iMac and just use my new MacBook?

I'd like to be able to just set it on my desk, and hook up a monitor, as well as use a wireless kybd and mouse. Can I do that using the Apple bluetooth kybd & mouse?

Also, would there be any way at all to run 2 monitors from my new MacBook? I'd like to have two 20"ers side by side, the way that it is now with my iMac and a second monitor.

You need to sell the iMac AND the two 20" monitors.

Then buy the new 24" LED Cinema Display when it is released next month!

Plop your shiny (no pun intended, Matte Screen Purists...!) new MacBook on one of these:

'Dock' your laptop with the stand & the display, good to go...!
  • Reply 3 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRonin View Post

Plop your shiny (no pun intended, Matte Screen Purists...!) new MacBook on one of these:

It's not necessary to sell both 20" monitors, and buy the new 24" monitor.

Just sell 1 and then purchase a Mini displayport to DVI/VGA connector when you purchase your mac, they are about £20 on the apple store online I think.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Your post title gave me a thought: someone should make a dock for these 'books now that all the ports are on the left again. I'd buy one. Power, displayport, USB, and firewire, and you're done. Make it vertical so I can just put it next to my desk and pull it right from my briefcase and put it in the dock.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    imickimick Posts: 351member
    Quote:

Currently, I only have my iMac and a second 20" monitor. I'd just be selling my iMac.

I already own the new 13" MacBook.

What is that device shown in the picture? It looks slick. Where can I get one?

My idea setup would be two 20" monitors side by side, using my MacBook as the computer.

The MacBook would be docked. I would only use the MacBook's display while on the road.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Don't remember the model name but I do remember it's made by logitech. Should be able to find it on their website.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    floorjackfloorjack Posts: 2,726member
    Quote:

I can feel the carpal tunnel syndrome by just looking at that thing.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member

Quote:
    Originally Posted by keantan View Post

Don't remember the model name but I do remember it's made by logitech. Should be able to find it on their website.

Logitech it is indeed, the Alto Connect model. I culled the pic from the Apple Store. More info can be found here:

Logitech Alto Connect

Quote:
    Originally Posted by FloorJack View Post

I can feel the carpal tunnel syndrome by just looking at that thing.

That is where the full-size keyboard & mouse (attached to the 24" LED Cinema Display) come into play...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by iMick View Post

Currently, I only have my iMac and a second 20" monitor. I'd just be selling my iMac.

I already own the new 13" MacBook.

Dude, you gotta dump the iMac AND the 20" display. Then once you get the new 24" LED Cinema Display your 'kit' will match.

And it will have MAD CDI factor, especially with the Alto Connect stand...!

If you are wondering what the CDI factor is; well, CDI stands for Chicks Dig It...