Apple settles disability lawsuit over San Francisco store

Comments

• Reply 21 of 70
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by oakie View Post

wtf? ok, first a really short background on me: i'm a disabled vet who needs a cane to get around at 32 years of age. but when i go into a store, i dont care what the damn sign is on the front, DO NOT PATRONIZE ME OR TREAT ME LIKE I'M SPECIAL OR RETARDED. just greet me like any other customer because that's all i am... another customer. obviously these broads think they're entitled to a life of privlege due to their handicap. boohoo.

You misunderstand. The point, as with web sites that are not accessible, is that it is not necessary. If you use a cane and have trouble using your legs, you are not really disabled if you can walk in through a doorway in order to get inside a store. If that store has a 3 foot threshold, you are suddenly disabled not because of your leg but because of the threshold. If you are a wheel chair user and the door is too narrow, you become disabled. If, on the other hand the door is wide and there is no threshold, you are no longer disabled. Likewise, if you are in a wheelchair and the light switch is too high, the counter is too high, the basin in the public bathroom is too high, etc etc, you become disabled unnecessarily. If you are a mother with a child or two in a buggy and you have to climb 50 steps in order to get out of the subway, you are likewise disabled. Through design we can make people abled, or disabled. Its up to us.

You say you want to be greeted like any other customer. I agree. And surely by the same measure you should be treated like any other customer. By that I mean that the impediments to equality should be removed. Its not really that hard. But it requires dealing with face on and that is what these people are doing.

Its not a matter of being PC. Its just common sense.
  • Reply 22 of 70
    WTF? only in the US.
  • Reply 23 of 70
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    I'm sure the NY 5th Avenue store must have some lawsuits coming. That place is a trip trap- the staircase in particular. Even outside there is a gutter with a security guard standing in to prevent people from falling. Looks fantastic but somewhat impractical.
  • Reply 24 of 70
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

As a result of an accident, I was on a wheelchair and crutches for a few months.

I take it that's what the accident was. You were actually ON a wheelchair and crutches? Ouch.
  • Reply 25 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

Theater seating? Apple ditched the Theater from all their stores.

Um. Have you been to the San Francisco store? Theater is still there. As it is in many of the large flagships.
  • Reply 26 of 70
    The design changes should have been caught by city planners before allowed to open. (It isn't building inspectors - the planners and the Access Appeals commission in San Francisco have authority.)

Accessibility is part of the law and a requirement - no matter what some stupid people think. I think it is shocking that a company as forward thinking as Apple fought the changes. They aren't mind shattering alterations, just small changes that make some people's lives a little easier. And, if they had done them at the beginning it wouldn't have cost anything extra.

As for those that moan about PC gone mad: what is crazy about allowing people equal access? What is the big deal?
  • Reply 27 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tony1 View Post

Thanks, I was thinking the same thing. Nothing funny at all here. BTW, I am disabled, so I do take offense.

on an anonymous internet forum? ha, wake up! you are not a long time internet user, right?
  • Reply 28 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Oi, moderator! Can you throw this person out of this forum? Head first down the stairs, please. And for good. Seriously.

Seconded

We don't have to loose all our manner, just because this is the internet.
  • Reply 29 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emulator View Post

on an anonymous internet forum? ha, wake up! you are not a long time internet user, right?

This is a forum for general discussion. If you want to be an idiot, don't post, or just go jump.

And I don't recall you having the right to dictate where and when I should or should not go on the Internet. Your obviously not a long time user of the organ called "brain", right?
  • Reply 30 of 70
    Quote:

You clearly have NO idea what you are talking about. Your comment betrays your juvenile ignorance. Most people that are disabled are so because the environment in which they operate makes them so. With a little bit of awareness and design fore-thought one can make stores and public places accessible to all. The thing is that when this is done well everybody benefits, not just people with disabilities. Much like with web accessibility.

wow, thanks paxman for your insight. my eyes are now open. but why stop there? I think it's really unfair that just because of a little pituitary tumor people with gigantism are forced to stoop down to use the computers at the apple store. think of the strain on the back and neck!! who cares if apple actually complies with california's handicap laws. apple should triple the size of all their stores and have three sections: short/handicapped, average height, and very tall. all we have to do is sue again and apple will settle so our bs request won't give people the false impression that apple doesn't care about people. brilliant!
  • Reply 31 of 70
    having been to the Stockton street store myself WITH a pram (aka as stroller), I can not understand where the complaints of the handicapped people stem from.

When you move about with a pram you have approx. the same mobility as a wheelchair and when my toddler is capable of pushing the buttons in the elevator, then an adult in a wheelchair should be able to do so too.

I found the staff of the store quite helpful guidiong me to the elevator and all. Yes the store is crammed and slightly small but Macy's was no joy either just before x-mas.

IMHO we have a clear case of some ambulance chasing lawyer representing someone who obviously has a chip on their shoulder
  • Reply 32 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I assumed it was black humor . ... surely he was kidding ...

no

and how is this funny??? it it were...???
  • Reply 33 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fraklinc View Post

WTF? only in the US.

when you are disabled i inviete you to travel to europe and compare the situation! or to australia...

the US can be VERY proud of the ADA... VERY!
  • Reply 34 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by freelander51 View Post

having been to the Stockton street store myself WITH a pram (aka as stroller), I can not understand where the complaints of the handicapped people stem from.

When you move about with a pram you have approx. the same mobility as a wheelchair and when my toddler is capable of pushing the buttons in the elevator, then an adult in a wheelchair should be able to do so too.

I found the staff of the store quite helpful guidiong me to the elevator and all. Yes the store is crammed and slightly small but Macy's was no joy either just before x-mas.

IMHO we have a clear case of some ambulance chasing lawyer representing someone who obviously has a chip on their shoulder

it seems you have no had the "pleasure" of being forced to drive around in a wheelchair... if you do, please come back and post again...!
  • Reply 35 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LoveTheMac View Post

The design changes should have been caught by city planners before allowed to open. (It isn't building inspectors - the planners and the Access Appeals commission in San Francisco have authority.)

Accessibility is part of the law and a requirement - no matter what some stupid people think. I think it is shocking that a company as forward thinking as Apple fought the changes. They aren't mind shattering alterations, just small changes that make some people's lives a little easier. And, if they had done them at the beginning it wouldn't have cost anything extra.

As for those that moan about PC gone mad: what is crazy about allowing people equal access? What is the big deal?

the problem is being ignorant to the concerns of others... simple as that...
  • Reply 36 of 70
    Quote:

You misunderstand. The point, as with web sites that are not accessible, is that it is not necessary. If you use a cane and have trouble using your legs, you are not really disabled if you can walk in through a doorway in order to get inside a store. If that store has a 3 foot threshold, you are suddenly disabled not because of your leg but because of the threshold. If you are a wheel chair user and the door is too narrow, you become disabled. If, on the other hand the door is wide and there is no threshold, you are no longer disabled. Likewise, if you are in a wheelchair and the light switch is too high, the counter is too high, the basin in the public bathroom is too high, etc etc, you become disabled unnecessarily. If you are a mother with a child or two in a buggy and you have to climb 50 steps in order to get out of the subway, you are likewise disabled. Through design we can make people abled, or disabled. Its up to us.

You say you want to be greeted like any other customer. I agree. And surely by the same measure you should be treated like any other customer. By that I mean that the impediments to equality should be removed. Its not really that hard. But it requires dealing with face on and that is what these people are doing.

Its not a matter of being PC. Its just common sense.

well written;-) thnx;-)
  • Reply 37 of 70
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,766member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by smokeonit View Post

no

and how is this funny??? it it were...???

Not for one second was i suggesting it was, only that in the writer's twisted mind perhaps they thought it was and therefore not actually being serious ... I was just hoping!

p.s. I worked for a decade with children with cerebral palsy so believe me I wasn't taking his side!
  • Reply 38 of 70
    Quote:

Not for one second was i suggesting it was, only that in the writer's twisted mind perhaps they thought it was and therefore not actually being serious ... I was just hoping!

i think a post like that should always lead to ban for life! nothing less... and why should/could/would a post be funny??? i don;t get it???
  • Reply 39 of 70
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,766member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by smokeonit View Post

i think a post like that should always lead to ban for life! nothing less... and why should/could/would a post be funny??? i don;t get it???

I am not disagreeing you there at all ... smoke him
  • Reply 40 of 70
    Quote:

I assumed it was black humor . ... surely he was kidding ...

No no, don't defend me. Let the dumb ones figure it out for themselves. Its even more fun watching them get bent out of shape than it was composing the post.