Gartner predicts sharpest decline PC sales ever

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 33
    kiwirobkiwirob Posts: 26member
    Does it not occur to all these analysts that the iPod Touch and iPhone are Apple's Netbook?

One day they may increase the screen size to a larger format, but at the moment it is fine for checking email, surfing the web, playing games and listening to music.

Why buy a Netbook if you already have an iPhone?
  • Reply 22 of 33
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    This doesn't have anything to do with how slowly Intel seems to be bringing new, improved chips to market?
  • Reply 23 of 33
    gyokurogyokuro Posts: 83member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Shouldn't this headline be delivered by a gum-snapping Valley Girl?

"Gartner predicts sharpest decline in PC sales... EVAR!"

You made my day! Hilarious.

• Reply 24 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kiwirob View Post

Does it not occur to all these analysts that the iPod Touch and iPhone are Apple's Netbook?

One day they may increase the screen size to a larger format, but at the moment it is fine for checking email, surfing the web, playing games and listening to music.

because doing a list of what an iPhone CAN do in comparison to what a netbook can do is much easier than doing it the other way round.

I wish this iPhone is a netbook rubbish would just die. They don't compare or compete. One is useful and great value the other is a toy.
  • Reply 25 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by indiekiduk View Post

Of course PC sales are down cause everyone is buying macs. In the pub next door to me I saw 2 drunks and a girl all using MacBooks while chatting and drinking. When did it become cool to use a laptop in a pub???

but thats just it... they aren't!!!

if 257 million pc units are to be sold then 12-13 million of them will be Macs (based on previous results and being generous)

13/257 = 5.06%

I still don't see how Apple are even relevant in the *bigger picture.*

• Reply 26 of 33
    bigdaddypbigdaddyp Posts: 811member
    Quote:

Nine inch screen, more storage and much faster for typing an email. As much as I love my iphone I much prefer surfing the web on my netbook especially when visiting pages with a ton of embedded links that my fat fingers keep triggering on the iphone. That just irritates the hell out of me. Honestly my mini9 hacintosh is so small and light it goes almost everywhere with me.
  • Reply 27 of 33
    daniel0418daniel0418 Posts: 122member
    Quote:

Okay first of all you can't do anything but play and pay for the games an apps provided for you. Plus we are talking about a 400 mhz locked down system

With close to no ram. An iPhone spent replace a netbook by any stretch of the imagination. There is no key oars safari crashes... U can't tab browse without reloading the page everytime u go back... U can't I stall anything u want and the iPhone lags sooooooo much. Anyway PC sales decline because of the economy and who wants to buy a vista of

Right now when windows 7 is right around the corner?
  • Reply 28 of 33
    bigebige Posts: 12member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

Well, I know I should let it go, but it wont "erase" the 2001 decline. it might "eclipse" it or "replace" it as the new worst.

Sorry, I know semantics posts can be insufferable...

I always applaud those intrepid individuals that take the time to improve the semantics and grammar of those posting in this forum. God knows, lately the Queen's English has been reduced to a series of clicks, grunts, and emoticons, and it's refreshing to see some emphasis put back into proper use of language when making a point.
  • Reply 29 of 33
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Archipellago View Post

One is useful and great value the other is a toy.

One is a poster with a valid point. The other is a troll.
  • Reply 30 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nde View Post

Not to be rude or anything but with your economy not doing well, it does not require a "study" by "researchers" to tell the public that demand for new PCs are declining.

A "study" by "researchers" is precisely what is required to make the claim that PC demand is declining.

You cannot claim that PC sales are declining without looking at sales data. Looking at the data is the "study", and those who look at it and report the findings are the "researchers".

What the problem is with that, I can't imagine. \
  • Reply 31 of 33
    indiekidukindiekiduk Posts: 382member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigdaddyp View Post

Nine inch screen, more storage and much faster for typing an email. As much as I love my iphone I much prefer surfing the web on my netbook especially when visiting pages with a ton of embedded links that my fat fingers keep triggering on the iphone. That just irritates the hell out of me. Honestly my mini9 hacintosh is so small and light it goes almost everywhere with me.

If a netbook could play xvid without dropping frames I might buy one, but I tried it on a friends and it can't. Thats the only thing I miss on my iPhone, I just can't be bothered waiting 30 mins to encode an xvid to h264 all the time. If there is anything else I can't do I just VNC using the Jaadu app to my home iMac and that works great over 3G wherever I am.
  • Reply 32 of 33
    bigdaddypbigdaddyp Posts: 811member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by indiekiduk View Post

If a netbook could play xvid without dropping frames I might buy one, but I tried it on a friends and it can't. Thats the only thing I miss on my iPhone, I just can't be bothered waiting 30 mins to encode an xvid to h264 all the time. If there is anything else I can't do I just VNC using the Jaadu app to my home iMac and that works great over 3G wherever I am.

On my particular setup I can generally play all standard video perfectly. The only time at standard def that I notice any dropped frames is when I am streaming video from hulu. It is much more hit and miss on 720p video. I do not recall having problems playing xvid. Of course I am old (30 ish) and may be missremembering........hey I can see Florida from my house.
  • Reply 33 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by piot View Post

One is a poster with a valid point. The other is a troll.

well done for spectacularly avoiding the argument..