Spring loaded folders don't work from the dock!

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I thought Phil demoed this at MWNY, but I can't seem to get it to work. If I drag something over a folder in the dock, the spring loaded feature doesn't work. Is there something wrong with my system, or do spring loaded folders not work with the dock in 5C155?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    A. Jaguar is 6c115(a)

B. I could be wrong, but I don't think what you're mentioning was demoed.

C. Spring-loading doesn't work from the Dock because what's in the dock is really nothing more than a shortcut to a folder....

Someone correct me if I'm wrong. I don't have Jaguar yet but I for one hadn't expected this particular function to be present in the Dock.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    This was never in Jag, though it seems perfectly obvious to implement it. I've bemoaned this fact for a while. Seems like they've done little with the Dock in the end. 'Tis a shame.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    kecksykecksy Posts: 1,002member
    I must be delusional. I swear this was a feature. Oh well, Apple better deliver with 10.3. Now that the Finder is improved in Jaguar, it's time for the dock to get the same level of attention.

I want spring-loaded folders, a show/hide hotkey, and something more obvious than a black triangle to show what applications are open. Perhaps the icons of open apps should be a different color?

The dock should also be more customizable. I should be able to arrange it's contents any way I like, kind of like the Finder's tool bar.

You should also be able to close windows from the dock without having to bring the window's application to the front.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    [quote]Oh well, Apple better deliver with 10.3<hr></blockquote>

Please tell me you are not suggesting that because Jaguar lacks one feature you would like to have, that 10.2 doesn't "deliver" (in a BIG way)....
  • Reply 5 of 11
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    You can't move the icons around in the dock like 10.1?
  • Reply 6 of 11
    overhopeoverhope Posts: 1,123member
    Yes, you can, with the exception of the Finder.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    regarding a show/hide hotkey:

you mean besides option-command-d?
  • Reply 8 of 11
    Hmm, been experimenting, and I got all excited because the pop-up do work when I dragged the hard drive into the Dock, but then I realised that it still doesn't do what the original post was talking about...

Still, at least the Desktop icons pop-up...

[ 08-26-2002: Message edited by: Overhope ]</p>
  • Reply 9 of 11
    actually i would love for pop-ups to work in the dock. or at least hierarchy to pop open in dock folders. this would replicate the tabbed window feature in mac os 9. that's really the only thing i miss sorely from mac os 9. now i have big ole aliases sitting on my desktop. i'd rather have a completely clean desktop surface.

as far as i know, i've never seen that demoed in any os x demo. i wish it were.

[ 08-26-2002: Message edited by: admactanium ]</p>
  • Reply 10 of 11
    icruiseicruise Posts: 127member
    I thought he demoed that feature as well -- it was the first thing I tried when I wanted to try out spring-loaded folders. Hmmm.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    Um, like I say, folders and drives in the Dock do pop up, provided that you drag that item into the Dock rather than minimise its Finder window. You can then plumb 4 levels of hierarchy.

However, you still can't drag and drop into that pop-up. Next time, maybe?