Apple Geniuses

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
How smart are they?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    You'll get the occasional guy who knows his/her stuff, but like most retail employees, they're probably trained in the cheapest way possible.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    They're good enough for retail.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    The important thing is the system they are part of. While any given Genius may or may not be super informed about Apple products, they are available, for free, and given broad latitude to address problems even when it takes a while.

I've had Geniuses swap out out of warranty equipment, barely any questions asked, replace accessories for free, reformat a drive after backing up my data, check out my system with Target Disc Mode, etc.

It's not surprising, given the (presumably) modest wage that a Genius gets paid that they aren't uniformly top notch computer techs, but top notch computer techs are going to charge me quite a bit for their services. What other computer seller is giving me access to one on one, free tech support for as long as I own the product?
  • Reply 4 of 4
    taurontauron Posts: 911member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

The important thing is the system they are part of. While any given Genius may or may not be super informed about Apple products, they are available, for free, and given broad latitude to address problems even when it takes a while.

I've had Geniuses swap out out of warranty equipment, barely any questions asked, replace accessories for free, reformat a drive after backing up my data, check out my system with Target Disc Mode, etc.

It's not surprising, given the (presumably) modest wage that a Genius gets paid that they aren't uniformly top notch computer techs, but top notch computer techs are going to charge me quite a bit for their services. What other computer seller is giving me access to one on one, free tech support for as long as I own the product?

I wouldn't call it free. Nothing is free. Their salaries come from somewhere...