AppleCare Protection Plan

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hi there,

I'm a mac newbie, and am planning on purchasing my first mac soon - my question is it worth getting the AppleCare Protection Plan?

I want this baby to last me for a good few years and still undecided whether to get a 17inch MBP or 24inch iMac... should I get it for either?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    tenshitenshi Posts: 11member
    Also as a graphic/web designer, is it worth spending a little extra $$ for the MBP Hi-Resolution Antiglare Widescreen Display?
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Apple Care is a must. Not being a smartass but your logic board or display will go out after 18 months and you will either need to spend $1000 for the parts or buy a whole new computer. This is my 4th Mac and I absolutley love them but I had to learn the hard way about Apple Care TWICE.

As far as the display... I've always purchased the matte displays because I am a photographer, but the one I just ordered is the glossy... I figured the slightly more vibrant colors, whites and blacks are the way to go and just deal with a bit of the glare. Color isn't more accurate on one or the other once you properly calibrate the screen... the gloss display is just slightly brighter and more rich looking.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Thank you for that Loungepop

Just curious, how long did your previous macs last you for?
  • Reply 4 of 7
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tenshi View Post

Hi there,

I'm a mac newbie, and am planning on purchasing my first mac soon - my question is it worth getting the AppleCare Protection Plan?

I want this baby to last me for a good few years and still undecided whether to get a 17inch MBP or 24inch iMac... should I get it for either?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Must get AppleCare, no doubt. Get it when you first purchase your Mac and make use of the Phone Support, hardware, etc. whatever as you use it for 3 years.

Get the 17inch MBP because it is powerful, you have mobility, and you can connect it to whatever external big screen is best for your work.

Quote:

Also as a graphic/web designer, is it worth spending a little extra $$ for the MBP Hi-Resolution Antiglare Widescreen Display?

YOU DEFINITELY SHOULD get the ANTIGLARE.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:

Thank you for that Loungepop

Just curious, how long did your previous macs last you for?

Your Macs can last you and your needs anywhere between 2 years and 5 years. Just remember that AppleCare covers you only a maximum of 3 years from the date of purchase.

Enjoy and good luck.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Yay another response! Thank you for your advice nvidia2008

At this stage I'm leaning towards the MBP. I'll probably wait until Snow Leopard is released to make my purchase - as that'll when I'll have enough $$ to buy.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    It isn't a decade ago where you could have a computer run for half a decade or more perfectly. Chances are you may have some kind of issue within the 3-year window.