TV market looks to mimic Apple with cross-platform 'app store'

Comments

• Reply 41 of 67
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by phalanx View Post

Handango has download more app (and will continue to) then Apple will in the next two years. You need to grasp facts.

Hour personal attack aside and in an attempt to understand your writing are you saying that handango has sold more apps than the Apple will in the next two years?
  • Reply 42 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Hour personal attack aside and in an attempt to understand your writing are you saying that handango has sold more apps than the Apple will in the next two years?

yes to downloads, and yes to apps sold. Handango had more than a billion downloads in 2005.
  • Reply 43 of 67
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

Handango has download more app (and will continue to) then Apple will in the next two years. You need to grasp facts. Not your McDonalds parking lot monkey spank.

Oh, and downloading apps to a moble devices is definitely revolutionary!!! I wonder how Apple came up with it. I'm impressed.

"McDonalds parking lot monkey spank"? Is it the drugs? Do you need me to call someone?

Anyway, the point is that what Apple has done with the App Store has completely transformed the cell phone industry, as demonstrated by every other major player rushing to copy it. That is materially different from something like Handango, which had a nice little run aggregating the relatively simple apps of the day for multiple platforms, without much changing anything about the way that business was conducted.

The future, however, clearly belongs to handset manufacturer owned and operated application stores, with tight hardware integration and user transparency. In that, Apple clearly led the way.
  • Reply 44 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

"McDonalds parking lot monkey spank"? Is it the drugs? Do you need me to call someone?

Anyway, the point is that what Apple has done with the App Store has completely transformed the cell phone industry, as demonstrated by every other major player rushing to copy it. That is materially different from something like Handango, which had a nice little run aggregating the relatively simple apps of the day for multiple platforms, without much changing anything about the way that business was conducted.

The future, however, clearly belongs to handset manufacturer owned and operated application stores, with tight hardware integration and user transparency. In that, Apple clearly led the way.

I don?t see how anyone can deny anything you just wrote.
  • Reply 45 of 67
    dluxdlux Posts: 666member
    Quote:

...while Adobe Flash is coming to new connected TVs

Whoo boy - that's just too ripe to pass up.

I can't wait to watch a Flash-enabled episode of Gilligan's Island where the professor looks straight at the camera with rolling eyes and silently mouths "F A I L".

Yep, I can't wait...
  • Reply 46 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I don?t see how anyone can deny anything you just wrote.

Let's just give it a few minutes-- I have a feeling that someone will try.
  • Reply 47 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dlux View Post

I can't wait to watch a Flash-enabled episode of Gilligan's Island where the professor looks straight at the camera with rolling eyes and silently mouths "F A I L".

• Reply 48 of 67
    crankycranky Posts: 163member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bcode View Post

Ya, I think the author has this all wrong. Apple will never release a TV, there are so many good TV's available and most people already own one.

No, Apple will make the AppleTV box more attractive, by offering TV on demand... but the real way. The same shows we all watch everyday, only you don't pay for cable, you pay for an iTunes Cable Subscription and download the 10 or 12 shows you watch anyway - without commercials, stream while you download, save to your iPod, etc.

I suspect that they will not tie this directly to the AppleTV, but just add it as an iTunes Store option, so those of us who choose not to buy an AppleTV will just need iTunes and way to play said media on your TV.

The TV "App Store" idea already exists in the form of the iTunes Store, the pricing is just not there yet. We'll see much better subscription service fee's offered once Apple announces the new financial deal they're coming to with the production studios.

That would be great if they did it like you have suggested. I suspect that my tv bill would be lower than it is now.
  • Reply 49 of 67
    crankycranky Posts: 163member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Good comments. I don't think it's a matter of not getting it, I think it's more a matter of getting it right. If Apple can find a way to blow away the cable box (a device which I am sure Steve finds to be utterly offensive), then they've got something potentially very big. It has to be more than just applications running on the TV, it should change the way we interact with the TV, from the setup menus to the channel guides, the remote controls, and everything else that presently sucks. A new paradigm UI for the TV has to be the goal. I suspect they are working on this, somewhere deep in the labs at Apple.

I can't wait!!!!
  • Reply 50 of 67
    Its going to get interesting! Apple has to either come up with a "box", like Apple TV on steroids, or their own TV line which I can't imagine they would ever do, especially since they don't "play" in cheap low-margin markets with Vizio etc. The problem is that 99% of Apple's potential consumer market already has at least 2 "boxes" connected, their cable/satellite tuner and their DVD/Blu-ray player; they aren't thrilled to connect a 3rd box, plus they're likely running out of digital input connections on older TVs. Apple could of course create a "super-TIVO" that incorporates a Blu-ray player, but they are in direct competition with the CableCos and with video on optical discs for content-delivery.

Another fun fact is that the vast majority of existing home LCD/Plasma displays are 720 (or 768) resolution, not 1080, and thus not wildly superior to SVGA for their "Desktop" resolution.
  • Reply 51 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MarkyMark7 View Post

Its going to get interesting! Apple has to either come up with a "box", like Apple TV on steroids, or their own TV line which I can't imagine they would ever do, especially since they don't "play" in cheap low-margin markets with Vizio etc.

Much the same could have been said about the cell phone market a couple of years ago -- a crowded market full of cheap low-margin competitors. There's also always a third way, which is developing technology to license to existing manufacturers.
  • Reply 52 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Because Steve Jobs is obsessed with Apple control. Read this months Fortune magazine as it explains how it worked for the iPhone and failed on the AppleTV.

Apple TV has not failed, Apple has failed to divert enough time and attention to it. Other tech companies are seeing the opportunity, many are starting to copy the Apple TV and go one better, hopefully this will give Apple the push it needs!
  • Reply 53 of 67
    pt123pt123 Posts: 696member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macadam212 View Post

Apple TV has not failed, Apple has failed to divert enough time and attention to it. Other tech companies are seeing the opportunity, many are starting to copy the Apple TV and go one better, hopefully this will give Apple the push it needs!

Don't you mean copy Xbox 360, since it was out before AppleTV?
  • Reply 54 of 67
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member
    Quote:

yes to downloads, and yes to apps sold. Handango had more than a billion downloads in 2005.

sorry dude, but according to Handango's own 10th anniversary press release last January, they had "conducted" up to then just 100 million app downloads over all 10 years!

http://news.prnewswire.com/ViewConte...4955318&EDATE=

nice try, b.s.'er.
  • Reply 55 of 67
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    When Avatar hits the movie houses next month it'll become apparent that 3D television will become the next big broadcasting technology. With Jobs's Pixar background and seat on the Disney board, expect Apple to have some plans up its sleeve with respect to 3D. Apple stands at the nexus of hardware, software and entertainment content and distribution. Once again Apple will have an opportunity to change the game in yet another industry. The challenge is to get the vision right.
  • Reply 56 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post

sorry dude, but according to Handango's own 10th anniversary press release last January, they had "conducted" up to then just 100 million app downloads over all 10 years!

http://news.prnewswire.com/ViewConte...4955318&EDATE=

nice try, b.s.'er.

No you are wrong! If you read that release, there are 100 million downloads (sales) averaging $20. Apple was the first to make a big deal about downloads. Mobile device users download scores of apps and never decide to buy them. Apple needs to go a little to sell 100 million apps.
  • Reply 57 of 67
    Quote:

No you are wrong! If you read that release, there are 100 million downloads (sales) averaging $20. Apple was the first to make a big deal about downloads. Mobile device users download scores of apps and never decide to buy them. Apple needs to go a little to sell 100 million apps.

Huh? You said
    Quote:

That's clearly incorrect. Also, the press release says 100 millions downloads, with paid purchases averaging $20. That doesn't mean all 100 millions downloads were paid-- just as you say, "mobile users download scores of apps and never decide to buy them." At any rate, this is all over ten years, so your "in 2005" citation doesn't make any sense at all.

Apple has had a billion downloads, I'm not sure if you're now claiming that downloads vs. paid sales somehow mean they've yet to sell 100 millions apps, but that's also clearly false.

And none of it has any bearing on the original point, which is that the App Store has revolutionized the cell phone business in a way Handango never did.
  • Reply 58 of 67
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Yep. But I was thinking of something like the app store that's on the iPhone. With a BT keyboard. Sort of an interim step before making the tv a 'computer'

besides I hope they keep the 'hot plate' feature on the ATv.

Something like the Mac Mini maybe
  • Reply 59 of 67
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member
    Quote:

that was a really weak try.
  • Reply 60 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pt123 View Post

Don't you mean copy Xbox 360, since it was out before AppleTV?

I don?t recall the Xbox 360 being a true media extender out of the gate. The AppleTV has its flaws but it was the best media extender appliance on the market when it came out. Others had more codecs but they were underpowered and unreliable. I tried several out and returned them all because they simply didn?t work well enough to be useful.

All have been flawed but the market was unsure at the time. The best ones out now are the 360, PS3 and TiVo. Then you have other media extender appliances and even HDTVs coming up with on-demand features. No one has yet to do it right but I think they are getting close. I think Apple has to release a new AppleTV, maybe with Atom+9400M(Ion), with 1080p, TV Show subscriptions, access to Hulu, Netlfix and social networking sites. Even that doesn?t seem like enough.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kibitzer View Post

When Avatar hits the movie houses next month it'll become apparent that 3D television will become the next big broadcasting technology. With Jobs's Pixar background and seat on the Disney board, expect Apple to have some plans up its sleeve with respect to 3D. Apple stands at the nexus of hardware, software and entertainment content and distribution. Once again Apple will have an opportunity to change the game in yet another industry. The challenge is to get the vision right.

I?ve been going over the 1080p trailer. Some will claim that the ?photo realistic? CGI isn?t very realistic but that is because they can?t see past the blue aliens. The level of detail is quite amazing.

Here is a good article about James Cameron and Avatar.
    Quote:

That really doesn?t make any sense. Even if you look at their estimated revenue for 2007 of $5.5M that is only 275k downloads for an average price of $20. Not really sure how any way you cut their sales up it beats Apple?s App Store.