Apple's iPhone 4.0 beta includes linked contacts, iChat sounds

Comments

• Reply 21 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Josh.B. View Post

Nope. You will not be able to load iPhone OS 4.0 onto the iPad. Not until it is extensively reworked, according to Apple. They hope to have it modified sufficiently by next fall.

And as of now, iPhone OS 3.2 will not work on the iPhone.

Yep. You will be able to load ios 4 on the ipad.

The release dates aren't going to be exactly the same day because of the form factor difference.

This fall both will be running ios 4. Having two different os names for the same os would be silly.
  • Reply 22 of 54
    greeng4greeng4 Posts: 33member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by m2002brian View Post

Interesting as that may be. I was trying to ask somebody how many As they got last semester. How would you recommend I do that without an apostrophe? As is would appear to say As.

I would suggest "A"s.
  • Reply 23 of 54
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,549member
    Quote:

Nope. You will not be able to load iPhone OS 4.0 onto the iPad. Not until it is extensively reworked, according to Apple. They hope to have it modified sufficiently by next fall.

And as of now, iPhone OS 3.2 will not work on the iPhone.

It's expected that the two versions will be resolved into one, possibly with the fall release for the iPad. If that happens, I would imagine that as with Mac OS X, older products, and lessor products will simply not be able to run some features, but that the OS will will load on all of them. That is, unless the hardware is too far out of date as it seems to be with the iPhone 2g and 1st gen. Touch.

I was hoping that the original models would get this one last upgrade, but the 128 MB RAM seems to be falling short of needs.
  • Reply 24 of 54
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NeilM View Post

Noun plurals in English are not formed with an apostrophe-s. Not ever.

My understanding is that it is "grudgingly OK" to do this when the noun is an acronym, as in the question "how many PDF's did you send me?" Another poster suggested another use case "how many A's did your son get?" that seems like a tolerable exception as well.

Thompson
  • Reply 25 of 54
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

Just because they didn't get caught doesn't make it right.

Should we be glorifying these guys with media attention?

At some point, Apple should think about inserting a subtle watermark into the iPhone software simulator that would show up over several frames of video (sort of like one of the modern bardcodes) enabling them to catch the source of the leaks and permanently ridding them from the Appleverse.
  • Reply 26 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thompr View Post

My understanding is that it is "grudgingly OK" to do this when the noun is an acronym, as in the question "how many PDF's did you send me?" Another poster suggested another use case "how many A's did your son get?" that seems like a tolerable exception as well.

Thompson

Let's get this straightened out:

http://www.wikihow.com/Use-English-P...tion-Correctly
  • Reply 27 of 54
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:

I thought those developers were bound by an NDA?

Who keeps doing this sort of thing?

Oh... thats easy.... this is all the evil doings of a:

Justin Barelyfarts

5 Tall Cedar Road

Goose Island, Oregon 97103

The first person who correctly connected the address wins the Internet.
  • Reply 28 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I like the simple route by going with iOS, as some of us have been doing already. I know it may sound weird to some, but it can cover anything, and it's easy to say, and does have a certain "ring" to it.

As long as you don't call it "iPOS".
  • Reply 29 of 54
    Quote:

But that would be just as inaccurate as Iphone OS. And besides, the two devices don't use the same OS - the iPad uses 3.2 and the iPhone uses 3.1.3.

iPhone OS 4.0 will not work on the iPad until extensive tweaks are made, which will take many, many months.

Why not just call the fragments two different OSs and be done with it?

At this point, we have no way of knowing if future iPads will have built-in phone capability, so I say keep 'em guessing.
  • Reply 30 of 54
    As much as I like Adium, I wish they added MSN to iChat.
  • Reply 31 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

As long as you don't call it "iPOS".

Well, uh...
  • Reply 32 of 54
    Quote:

Well, uh...

• Reply 33 of 54
    bigdaddypbigdaddyp Posts: 811member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Quote:

Well, uh...

And I thought I was a big nerd...
  • Reply 34 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigdaddyp View Post

And I thought I was a big nerd...

I guess we all are!
  • Reply 35 of 54
    orlandoorlando Posts: 601member
    Quote:

This is a site for Apple news and rumors. Most of the rumors involve someone disclosing information they shouldn't. It could be info from the iPhone beta, spy photos of future hardware or screenshots from Best Buy revealing future MacBook Pros.
  • Reply 36 of 54
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NeilM View Post

Noun plurals in English are not formed with an apostrophe-s. Not ever.

The bottom line is, instead of stating broad grammatical rules to criticize the author's competency, why don't you just politely point out the mistake?
  • Reply 37 of 54
    josh.b.josh.b. Posts: 353member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Doctor David View Post

Yep. You will be able to load ios 4 on the ipad.

The release dates aren't going to be exactly the same day because of the form factor difference.

This fall both will be running ios 4. Having two different os names for the same os would be silly.

Once they change OS 4.0 so it will work on the iPad, do you think that it will be the same as this summer's iPhone version?

Or will both be updated to 4.1? Or will they stay different?

I hope that this doesn't mean fragmentation.
  • Reply 38 of 54
    josh.b.josh.b. Posts: 353member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post

Oh... thats easy.... this is all the evil doings of a:

Justin Barelyfarts

5 Tall Cedar Road

Goose Island, Oregon 97103

The first person who correctly connected the address wins the Internet.

You got the zip code wrong.
  • Reply 39 of 54
    Quote:

Once they change OS 4.0 so it will work on the iPad, do you think that it will be the same as this summer's iPhone version?

Or will both be updated to 4.1? Or will they stay different?

I hope that this doesn't mean fragmentation.

As I said just a short while ago, this will be like OS X. One OS, with different machines using what they can of the latest release. This isn't fragmentation as such, because all new devices will be on the same version with the same features. The iPad will always have more abilities than the smaller devices, like the Mac Pro to the Macbook, though, if Gruber is correct, the new phone may have a slightly larger screen with possibly 960x 640 rez, to bring them closer together (though, there's no way readability will be passed from the iPad down to the smaller screen because fonts would be too small).
  • Reply 40 of 54
    swingeswinge Posts: 110member
    Quote:

Welcome to the internet.

The cool thing is that Apple is completely aware of this. Sites like Apple Insider are a big part of their marketing machine... Rumours/secretes (both true and untrue) help to build the frenzied anticipation of their products. At this point OS 4 is done and just in QA mode. I'm willing to bet the OS team is already working fulltime on the iPad version....

With iPhone 4.0, I hope Apple releases incremental upgrades throughout the year... They did this with OS 1 and 2 and I think it kept it fresh and interesting...It also keeps your competetion on their toes... I'm so excited about the new features! The Bluetooth keyboard option is brilliant! Is that something that can even be done with an Android phone?

GO APPLE!!!