Apple's MacBook Pros ship with active SSD TRIM support in Snow Leopard

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 65
    mrochestermrochester Posts: 700member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Apple's current SSD's are not overpriced, and they're pretty fast.

Sadly, in the UK, that's the not the case at all. To configure a base 13" MBP with a 256GB SSD costs an extra £520. You can pick up a Crucial C300 256GB SSD for £368, and still have the 320GB drive the MBP came with. Apple's SSDs are a major rip-off in the UK.
  • Reply 62 of 65
    impliedimplied Posts: 15member
    For anyone interested, someone found out the 2011 MacBook Pros may have apparently shipped with SATA III, 6GB/s. Article here: http://www.barefeats.com/mbps02.html
  • Reply 63 of 65
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,553member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrochester View Post

Sadly, in the UK, that's the not the case at all. To configure a base 13" MBP with a 256GB SSD costs an extra £520. You can pick up a Crucial C300 256GB SSD for £368, and still have the 320GB drive the MBP came with. Apple's SSDs are a major rip-off in the UK.

EVERYTHING is a major ripoff in the UK. You guys over pay for everything. I've been there four times in the past two years, and I'm amazed you put up with it. The Kindle sells for much more than it does here as well. I remember it being advertised for £139. Here, it sells for $139. Do the math.

atHome iPod/iPhone docking radios that go for $99 here, were going for £99 there. In fact, when we were speaking to my daughter's school, and I asked if it would be better if we bought her a MacBook Pro here or there, we were told to buy it in NYC, because ALL electronic products were much more expensive in the UK, something I can vouch for.

All computer makers charge more for memory, HDD's, graphics cards and SSD's than you can get them for elsewhere. You can check that out for yourself.
  • Reply 64 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

EVERYTHING is a major ripoff in the UK. You guys over pay for everything. I've been there four times in the past two years, and I'm amazed you put up with it. The Kindle sells for much more than it does here as well. I remember it being advertised for £139. Here, it sells for $139. Do the math.

atHome iPod/iPhone docking radios that go for $99 here, were going for £99 there. In fact, when we were speaking to my daughter's school, and I asked if it would be better if we bought her a MacBook Pro here or there, we were told to buy it in NYC, because ALL electronic products were much more expensive in the UK, something I can vouch for.

All computer makers charge more for memory, HDD's, graphics cards and SSD's than you can get them for elsewhere. You can check that out for yourself.

Oh I know all computer makers charge a fortune to upgrade parts, and that's why Apple's SSDs are equally a rip off. Don't forget UK prices include 20% VAT. There's nothing we can do about the prices short of a revolution to overthrow the government and abolish VAT, but I doubt that'll happen.
  • Reply 65 of 65
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,553member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrochester View Post

Oh I know all computer makers charge a fortune to upgrade parts, and that's why Apple's SSDs are equally a rip off. Don't forget UK prices include 20% VAT. There's nothing we can do about the prices short of a revolution to overthrow the government and abolish VAT, but I doubt that'll happen.

They also add another 10% for products not made there. At least that was what I was told.