Verizon iPhone 4 owners report fewer dropped calls than AT&T

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hudson1 View Post

It's clear to me the CDMA iPhone 4 is an interim model put out there to plug a hole, hence the "CDMA-only" restriction. There are CDMA "world phones" made by others and hopefully Apple will join that party with the iPhone 5.

I've never seen one. There are quasi-"world mode" phones that support both CDMA/EV-DO as GSM/UMTS bands but all the ones I've seen only support a single UMTS band. Not exactly "world mode" or feasible for Apple when their iPhone is penta-band with four bands in use.

Then consider the cost in space for extra chips as well as a less efficient system in regards to power usage. Up until CES the iPhone was the smallest modern smartphone, and might still be the smallest sold today. So how does that fact into Apple's plans?

The Gobi chip from Qualcomm is the only solution I know about that potentially supports all needed bands, but I haven't seen thi chip in a phone with all bands supported. I've seen parts of it supported, like in the Verizon iPhone and I've seen the "world mode" chip and bands for non-phones, but never at once, much less such a small phone.
  • Reply 22 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post

My biggest dropped call problems now seem to be the proximity sensor at about 65% and poor signal for the remainder with ATT. Sadly, even in the same room (6' away) from my MicroCell, I often only have one bar and can't place a call.

6' from a MicroCell? There is something else going on you need to look into.
  • Reply 23 of 35
    Missing Fact:

Verizon users experience a 100% internet drop when a call is placed/received!
  • Reply 24 of 35
    aeolianaeolian Posts: 189member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bjbjohnson View Post

I don't really buy into this assertion that AT&T's dropped call issue is solely a problem of iPhones "hogging" data on their network. Verizon has sold a ton of smartphones even without the iPhone on its network before February and they don't seem to experience the same problems. I'd like to see some real estimates of how much data both companies are moving because I think AT&T is using the iPhone as a crutch and they are spending a lot of their money on advertising and lawyers/lobbyists on their monopolistic T-Mobile pursuit, instead of reinvesting in their network.

Some might consider purchasing T-Moblile "re-investing in their network"...
  • Reply 25 of 35
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

Missing Fact:

Verizon users experience a 100% internet drop when a call is placed/received!

But if they're on wi-fi, that doesn't apply. So no, not 100% of the time.
  • Reply 26 of 35
    2oh12oh1 Posts: 503member
    I suspect this is a case of AT&T's horrible coverage in NYC and San Fran weighing heavily on the math. I'd love to see AT&T's dropped call averages plotted on a map. I haven't had a single dropped call in the last six months, but I'm not in NYC or San Fran. I do know that the iPhone 4 has much better reception than the iPhone 3G/3Gs. I have friends here who have those and they occasionally get dropped calls. Just for the record, I have a bumper on my iPhone 4. I think the bumper makes the phone much more comfortable to hold and use as a phone. LOVE my iPhone 4.
  • Reply 27 of 35
    I live in Spokane Wa, travel regularly to Seattle, San Francisco, Las Vegas and Phoenix. I rarely get a dropped call with my iPhone 4 on AT&T, maybe one every three of 4 months. Many times I figure it's the person I am talking to that his system has caused the dropped call.

My boss just got his Verizon iPhone last month. I was very curious as to the download speed. I loaded speedtest.net to his, ran the download test at the same time as mine. Results were: Verizon - 220Kbps - AT&T 5.2 mbps. He was so embarrassed by the test! I use this story for anyone here thinking about an iPhone 4 from Verizon. Why sacrifice that kind of download speed! Amazing!
  • Reply 28 of 35
    I'm always puzzled by the % of people here who would help ATT make up excuses on network quality. It seems like they've a grudge on Verizon or something. Maybe those iDon't ads are still on their minds.
  • Reply 29 of 35
    hudson1hudson1 Posts: 800member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Logisticaldron View Post

I've never seen one. There are quasi-"world mode" phones that support both CDMA/EV-DO as GSM/UMTS bands but all the ones I've seen only support a single UMTS band. Not exactly "world mode" or feasible for Apple when their iPhone is penta-band with four bands in use.

Then consider the cost in space for extra chips as well as a less efficient system in regards to power usage. Up until CES the iPhone was the smallest modern smartphone, and might still be the smallest sold today. So how does that fact into Apple's plans?

The Gobi chip from Qualcomm is the only solution I know about that potentially supports all needed bands, but I haven't seen thi chip in a phone with all bands supported. I've seen parts of it supported, like in the Verizon iPhone and I've seen the "world mode" chip and bands for non-phones, but never at once, much less such a small phone.

My Verizon Wireless Blackberry (which I don't like but don't get me started on that) can send and received telephone calls everywhere I've ever been in the world. It would be wonderful if Apple could provide Verizon Wireless an iPhone that could do the same. I'd switch in a heartbeat!
  • Reply 30 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drobforever View Post

I'm always puzzled by the % of people here who would help ATT make up excuses on network quality. It seems like they've a grudge on Verizon or something. Maybe those iDon't ads are still on their minds.

And who are you to question the integrity of a post on this forum? Do you have proof that myself or anyone here is not typing the facts?

Who are you to question my integrity?

I believe that it just may be you that is a "hater".

BTW, I know several people here in Spokane with AT&T iPhones that lose signal in very unique geographical spots. I also know people with Verizon service that lose and cannot make/receive calls in the heart of this small downtown core.

Don't ever think VZ is end all, be all. They are far from it, as are AT&T, Sprint and T-Mobile.

But for you to question mine and anyone else's integrity in their post is irresponsible and just plain stupid.
  • Reply 31 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IYFCalvin View Post

And who are you to question the integrity of a post on this forum? Do you have proof that myself or anyone here is not typing the facts?

Who are you to question my integrity?

I believe that it just may be you that is a "hater".

BTW, I know several people here in Spokane with AT&T iPhones that lose signal in very unique geographical spots. I also know people with Verizon service that lose and cannot make/receive calls in the heart of this small downtown core.

Don't ever think VZ is end all, be all. They are far from it, as are AT&T, Sprint and T-Mobile.

But for you to question mine and anyone else's integrity in their post is irresponsible and just plain stupid.

Looks like I may be hitting the soft spot ....

This article is about a survey. The purpose of the survey is to find out some summary statistics, so that people would be able to get some relatively less subjective answer (it'd never be totally objective obviously), i.e. to avoid people (hint like you) who simply would quote his/her own experience or a few of his/her friends and make generalization out of a very small sample.
  • Reply 32 of 35
    Quote:

May I ask why you prefer GSM?

AT&T (GSM)

Simultaneous voice and data

Better international coverage

Better overall network speed (so it seems)

Verizon (CDMA)

Fewer dropped calls

Personally, I've had iPhone 4 for almost a year and I think I had a dropped call once. It's been utterly fantastic for me. I could never make the drive home, or ride in the elevator or even walk down the hall without the call dropping, and now I never experience that with iPhone 4 (with or without the bumper case).

I'm with AT&T, and those three benefits are deal-breakers for me.
  • Reply 33 of 35
    Quote:

My Verizon Wireless Blackberry (which I don't like but don't get me started on that) can send and received telephone calls everywhere I've ever been in the world. It would be wonderful if Apple could provide Verizon Wireless an iPhone that could do the same. I'd switch in a heartbeat!

Sure, but it's a large phone and if you look at the UMTS bands there is likely only phone, that works for most of Europe. There will be the 4 GSM (aka: 2G) bands but that is hardly acceptable for a "world mode" status these days. You just aren't going to get any 3G in North America outside of the CDMA carrier it's liked to.

An how power efficient is that phone and how much does it cost for Apple to license CDMa chips that 85% of their consumer bae will never use? These things have to be considered. Probably the most obvious Apple won't go this route is they didn't with the iPad 2 with has the room for it. Yet they felt 6 additional SKUs for a total of 18 was a better option.
  • Reply 34 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drobforever View Post

Looks like I may be hitting the soft spot ....

This article is about a survey. The purpose of the survey is to find out some summary statistics, so that people would be able to get some relatively less subjective answer (it'd never be totally objective obviously), i.e. to avoid people (hint like you) who simply would quote his/her own experience or a few of his/her friends and make generalization out of a very small sample.

Uh, I know what the article is about. It's your post that I took offense to. You only question the integrity of contributors post - "I'm always puzzled by the % of people here who would help ATT make up excuses..."

I have soft spots... attacks on people without proof, like yours is one of them. You are not making comments on the article. You are making comments on posts after the article.

From your post, I only see that you are a "hater". No excuses.
  • Reply 35 of 35
    propelpropel Posts: 9member
    I broke down finally and bought a iPhone. I was going to wait for the 5 to come out but I don't want to wait for what may be the 1st quarter of 2012. I use Verizon. ATT coverage is horrible where I live I cannot get any coverage in my home. I love it so far. My wife has a RIM and daughter has a Droid but the Apple works better for me for what I use it for.