Admin abuse - Please Clear this up.

Posted:
in Feedback edited January 2014
I suggest that whoever it was that changed my signature without my knowledge or consent be permanently removed as an admin from this site. This is a serious breach of trust, and it is not funny. I will not let this rest until the guilty party admits their act and is no longer a moderator or admin on this site.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 34
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Well… what was it and to what was it changed?

I had mine changed on me many moons ago on MacRumors. Didn't throw me into a tizzy. Granted, it was only a formatting change…
  • Reply 2 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Well… what was it and to what was it changed?

I had mine changed on me many moons ago on MacRumors. Didn't throw me into a tizzy. Granted, it was only a formatting change…

They changed it to a personal insult against me. If they didn't like what I put, if it was against the posting rules, then they could have removed it, given me an infraction and let me know why.

Instead they changed it to a personal insult against myself without any sort of notice. This is a biased and unacceptable breach of trust. Even when Groverat was a mod, he wouldn't have done that, because he had some integrity.

Now it seems like whoever did it is too chickenshit to admit it. What a puny excuse for a human being.
  • Reply 3 of 34
    Lundy is ignoring my private messages on the topic, so I'm going to assume he is responsible. Lundy, if you were the one to change my signature to an insult, please explain why you did this. I will accept a public apology on this thread. If it was in fact you, and if you had an issue with my signature the way I wrote it, why didn't you give me an infraction and remove it? That would have been acceptable. Instead you made an ass of yourself and breached the trust of the members on this board as being a fair and impartial moderator.
  • Reply 4 of 34
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    I'm curious about this as well, and it does seem like a breach of basic decorum, at least.

I still remember the odd incident wherein one member was apparently provided with PMs between other members, which he quoted and used to fuel conspiracy theories. Lundy was the moderator of that forum, and while I would hate to think a mod would do something as outrageous as selectively share PMs with a forum member (for whatever reasons), I've never been able to figure out how else that could have gone down. Disturbing, if true.

Hopefully, talking about this doesn't lead to reprisals, and if there's another explanation for the incident I'm talking about I'd be relieved to hear it.

But Tonton's issue looks to be real and current, so I'd certainly like to hear an explanation for that. Tonton-- do you feel comfortable sharing what the sig was changed to?
  • Reply 5 of 34
    Petty shit like this is why I don't post here anymore.

-sj
  • Reply 6 of 34
    tonton, why are you getting defencive abotu a signature?

Either way, the mod did his job, he wouldn't have had to tell you... You agreed to the term and conditions to this forums when you signed up, therefor yous hould know the terms to what you can do on here.

Next time, you put a silly thing in your signature, dont be silly about it.
  • Reply 7 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by James Cash View Post

tonton, why are you getting defencive abotu a signature?

Either way, the mod did his job, he wouldn't have had to tell you... You agreed to the term and conditions to this forums when you signed up, therefor yous hould know the terms to what you can do on here.

Next time, you put a silly thing in your signature, dont be silly about it.

WTF are you talking about? The mod/admin definitely wasn't doing his job when he changed my signature to an insult. If he didn't like my sig, if it was against the rules of the board (which I don't believe it was), if he were doing his job, he would have removed it, and given me an infraction. That's his job. And who the hell are you, anyway?
  • Reply 8 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by esef_ View Post

Petty shit like this is why I don't post here anymore.

-sj

You've never posted here at all?
  • Reply 9 of 34
    Quote:

You've never posted here at all?

Oh, really?
  • Reply 10 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

I'm curious about this as well, and it does seem like a breach of basic decorum, at least.

I still remember the odd incident wherein one member was apparently provided with PMs between other members, which he quoted and used to fuel conspiracy theories. Lundy was the moderator of that forum, and while I would hate to think a mod would do something as outrageous as selectively share PMs with a forum member (for whatever reasons), I've never been able to figure out how else that could have gone down. Disturbing, if true.

Hopefully, talking about this doesn't lead to reprisals, and if there's another explanation for the incident I'm talking about I'd be relieved to hear it.

But Tonton's issue looks to be real and current, so I'd certainly like to hear an explanation for that. Tonton-- do you feel comfortable sharing what the sig was changed to?

In my signature, I snarkily criticized the amount of factual info offered by a few of the board's more vociferous but least informed members, but it was changed, without my knowledge or consent to this:

It was honestly a humorous change, and had it been posted as a comment in a thread, I wouldn't have had a problem with it. But this asshole mod thought it was "okay" to go into my account and modify my private signature instead of doing what was proper, and allowed under the rules of the board. News flash: That's not okay.

What if I were a mod, and I went into Trumptman's profile and made his signature, "Trumpeters do it by blowing." Imagine if he didn't notice it for say a week, and we were all busy laughing at him.

Seriously, can regular moderators actually do this, or do you have to be an Admin to do it?

At this point, still seeing no response from Lundy, I'm 90% sure it was him, and if Admin access is required, then that would be 99%.

Lundy, why don't you just come on this thread and either apologize, or deny it was you?
  • Reply 11 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

In my signature, I snarkily criticized the amount of factual info offered by a few of the board's more vociferous but least informed members

Ah, here's the question: Did you name usernames or did you define in (more eloquent) words "the board's most vociferous yet least informed members"?

Because I can't imagine the former being allowed. That doesn't make your complaint any less relevant, however, as there's no call for stealth edits without properly contacting the user, but it would give an explanation for why it happened.
  • Reply 12 of 34
    Quote:

Ah, here's the question: Did you name usernames or did you define in (more eloquent) words "the board's most vociferous yet least informed members"?

Because I can't imagine the former being allowed. That doesn't make your complaint any less relevant, however, as there's no call for stealth edits without properly contacting the user, but it would give an explanation for why it happened.

Named names. And I agree with you. If it was against forum rules, then it should have been deleted and I should have received an infraction. That's the only acceptable moderator act, other than trying to clear it up through communication (e.g. sending me a PM asking me to change it myself).
  • Reply 13 of 34
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Almost hate to mention it, but Tonton is one of the more liberal posters in what has come to be a right leaning Political Outsider-- that after a series of seemingly proactive bans. I would hate to think a member was singled out for abuse because of political leanings, because that would be even more outrageous.

I wonder if anyone on the mod side is ever going to bother addressing any of this.
  • Reply 14 of 34
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,347moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Seriously, can regular moderators actually do this, or do you have to be an Admin to do it?

At this point, still seeing no response from Lundy, I'm 90% sure it was him, and if Admin access is required, then that would be 99%.

Mods can change signatures too. Also, Lundy doesn't usually reply to PMs so I wouldn't automatically assume he's responsible.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox

I wonder if anyone on the mod side is ever going to bother addressing any of this.

If one of the mods/admins feels they were the target of the offending signature, changing the signature for the opposite effect seems fair.

Anyway, the admins make the final decisions - it's their forum - the best course of action would be to not make them the butt of any jokes in the first place (even if it was indirectly). Everyone is here to have fun and while people will have differing opinions on what that means, there's no sense in getting all bothered about it. If the admins felt like it, they could shut down the entire forum on a whim so changing a signature in jest is a relatively minor thing to do.
  • Reply 15 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

If one of the mods/admins feels they were the target of the offending signature, changing the signature for the opposite effect seems fair.

Ahh!... the old "two wrongs make a right" thing! Such integrity!... why have mods at all if that's the standard they're held to?
  • Reply 16 of 34
    Quote:

Mods can change signatures too. Also, Lundy doesn't usually reply to PMs so I wouldn't automatically assume he's responsible.

Anyway, the admins make the final decisions - it's their forum - the best course of action would be to not make them the butt of any jokes in the first place (even if it was indirectly). Everyone is here to have fun and while people will have differing opinions on what that means, there's no sense in getting all bothered about it. If the admins felt like it, they could shut down the entire forum on a whim so changing a signature in jest is a relatively minor thing to do.

None of the mods were targets, and KOSH is absolutely right. Two wrongs don't make a right. There is a clear and acceptable mechanism if the mod found the sig offensive.
  • Reply 17 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

Ahh!... the old "two wrongs make a right" thing! Such integrity!... why have mods at all if that's the standard they're held to?

There would have been two options: issue an infraction and delete the signature or modify the signature to poke fun. I'd say the latter is a less harsh punishment.

Signatures aren't meant for expressing opinions that some might find inflammatory, they are supposed to be used to give yourself an identity. If someone uses their signature for the wrong reasons, they may not realise the effect of it until they are the target of it themselves.

I disagree entirely that two wrongs don't make a right because you can call any kind of punishment a wrong and imply that no form of punishment should ever be used.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton

None of the mods were targets

Well one of the mods or admins must have thought it was an inappropriate statement otherwise they wouldn't have changed it. It's generally not a good idea to call out other users by name in your signature.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton

There is a clear and acceptable mechanism if the mod found the sig offensive.

Sure but the problem with clear and acceptable rules is that people play to them. Some members who have been here long enough have become quite adept in expressing the most vitriolic posts just shy of making 'ad homs', just so that they don't technically break the rules.

The admins put the original rules in place and they know that black and white rules simply don't work for organisms as complex as humans so they also have the carte blanche rule, which states that it's their forum and:

"The owners of AppleInsider reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason."

That includes signatures. You obviously changed it back as soon as you saw it so you only had to suffer it for about 10 seconds. Whenever something like this happens, the forum is always alluded to as something like 'lunatics running the asylum' but in reality, it's a pretty fairly run forum as far as internet forums go and there's a good balance between freedom and regulation.
  • Reply 18 of 34
    Quote:

There would have been two options: issue an infraction and delete the signature or modify the signature to poke fun. I'd say the latter is a less harsh punishment.

Leaving it blank would have made sense. But everyone else that saw (your?) replacement would assume that tonton put it there... You would be, in effect, telling the world he said something, when in fact, he did not. A form of slander, if I'm not mistaken.

Better to just admit it was handled poorly than to try to make excuses.
  • Reply 19 of 34
    Quote:

Leaving it blank would have made sense. But everyone else that saw (your?) replacement would assume that tonton put it there.

I assume Tonton put the latest one there.

Quote:

Better to just admit it was handled poorly than to try to make excuses.

If the course of action that was taken has the desired outcome, I don't believe it was handled poorly.
  • Reply 20 of 34
    Quote:

Signatures aren't meant for expressing opinions that some might find inflammatory, they are supposed to be used to give yourself an identity. If someone uses their signature for the wrong reasons, they may not realise the effect of it until they are the target of it themselves.

I disagree entirely that two wrongs don't make a right because you can call any kind of punishment a wrong and imply that no form of punishment should ever be used.

Well one of the mods or admins must have thought it was an inappropriate statement otherwise they wouldn't have changed it. It's generally not a good idea to call out other users by name in your signature.

Sure but the problem with clear and acceptable rules is that people play to them. Some members who have been here long enough have become quite adept in expressing the most vitriolic posts just shy of making 'ad homs', just so that they don't technically break the rules.

The admins put the original rules in place and they know that black and white rules simply don't work for organisms as complex as humans so they also have the carte blanche rule, which states that it's their forum and:

"The owners of AppleInsider reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason."

That includes signatures. You obviously changed it back as soon as you saw it so you only had to suffer it for about 10 seconds. Whenever something like this happens, the forum is always alluded to as something like 'lunatics running the asylum' but in reality, it's a pretty fairly run forum as far as internet forums go and there's a good balance between freedom and regulation.

Thank you for response, and I wholeheartedly disagree with you. I think you need to take an ethics class or something. Clearly, "poking fun" is a much harsher "punishment".

You are an admin. We expect individual members to poke fun, or even admins in the proper context. What we don't expect is biased abuse.

Next time, give the infraction and do your job.