New York Times gets Gizmodo treatment from Apple after negative reports

1456810

Comments

  • palominepalomine Posts: 317member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GoodGrief View Post


    I had a pet troll once. I thought I'd be nice and I set him free in the woods. I found him a few days later - damned chipmunks ate him alive. Poor troll.



    Moral of the story: Trolls are too dumb to be left out on their own. It's better if you just play with them every once in a while to keep them happy.



    True story.



    BTW, there is the silliest foreign filml on Netflix Streaming. It is called 'Trolls' and is made in Norway. It was full of the most fantastical deadpan rationalizations as to what must be done to keep the Trolls under control. complete with CG Trolls that were hilarious. I could picture a 10 year old absolutely terrified. Still laughing,
  • charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,068member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anthropic View Post


    It's such a pity Apple behaves so poorly, their childish corporate behaviour really detracts from what should be more news about their awesome products.



    ANd what about NYT. Bashing Apple with articles that imply that Apple is solely responsible for conditions at Foxconn etc. The Times is supposed to be a respected news source that employs journalists that do the proper research and give a full story. Leaving out details like Apple is only one of some 70-75 clients of Foxconn, that the workers get room and board etc in addition to salaries that are well above the mandated minimum wage, that the suicide attempts for workers on non Apple lines is higher than Apple ones and so on, is the kind of stunt pulled by biased bloggers.



    And if the Times wants to act like a childish blogger they will get the same treatment from Apple that other childish bloggers get
  • charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,068member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post


    Try reading before offering your opinion.



    http://pogue.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/...p-electronics/



    Trouble is that that one blogger posting his opinions is vastly over numbered by the so called journalists and their dozens of articles that aren't as balanced and thought out
  • dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 12,353member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post


    Trouble is that that one blogger posting his opinions is vastly over numbered by the so called journalists and their dozens of articles that aren't as balanced and thought out



    Maybe you don't know but David Pogue is not your average blogger. He's the lead tech guy at the NYT.
  • goodgriefgoodgrief Posts: 137member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Alonso Perez View Post


    No, they are not. That's why I picked them. Luxury items are high end MacBook Airs, not to mention Mac Pros.



    But I'm in a generous mood. I'll lower the bar to the iPod Touch. They can't afford those either.



    The Ferrari worker might not own a Ferrari (a new one), but every Ferrari worker can buy a decent car. That's the analogy. (Actually, it's closer to the idea that a Cadillac worker can buy a Chevy.)



    That's just silly. Of course iPads are luxury items. As are iPods and Ferraris. Also, cell phones, microwaves and Legos. None are required for a safe or healthy life. You're [apparently] confusing "luxury" and "expensive". Food and shelter are necessities. iPads are not necessary.
  • rbryanhrbryanh Posts: 263member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post


    "?some people are questioning Apple?s values today,"



    No doubt? thoughtless, ignorant people whose use of language gives an altogether distasteful glimpse into their self-serving, deluded minds.



    Unless we're talking about the fruit, "Apple" is an abstraction, just like every corporation. Corporations are legal institutions, and have no thoughts, feelings, or values, or any self awareness capable of taking offense. Pretending otherwise may benefit the 5% of Americans who own 95% of the world, and them only in the very short term, but is a gruesome disservice to everyone else. This might seem a pointlessly punctilious distinction, but consider the the result to date of having assigned the corporation - which is nothing but a collection of paperwork - more legal rights than individuals ? who live, breath, bleed, and die.



    As Michael Moore so adroitly demonstrated, if the corporation were an individual, we would have to diagnose it as psychotic and take appropriate steps to prevent it from harming itself and others. As it stands, Mr. Cook and his ilk routinely speak as high priests conveying the word of God, Inc., and the rest of us too often accept this lunacy at face value.



    Tim Cook is free to talk about his own values, or those of anyone he believes he represents, and to take responsibility for them. Talking about the "values" of Apple's, on the other hand, is nothing more than a way to escape the latter by refusing to do the former.



    Apple has no values, and so long as they go on pretending otherwise, neither do its owners, employees, or customers.
  • googircughgibgoogircughgib Posts: 1member
    pdf browser plugin of acrobat reader http://nbpcdhj.hostingsociety.com/ac...r-windows.html acrobat reader windows
  • erannerann Posts: 36member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by luinil View Post


    I agree, but it's not the NYT time reporting, it's the whole press. When something is wrong at Foxconn, they always talk of it as it if was a problem with Apple alone..



    And when something positive happens Apple is not mentioned:



    "Foxconn Pay Raise", Huffington Post, 02.17.2012

    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/news/foxconn-pay-raise
  • rbryanhrbryanh Posts: 263member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post


    Maybe you don't know but David Pogue is not your average blogger. He's the lead tech guy at the NYT.



    The lovely thing about worshipping pundits is the way it allows us accept what we're told without the burden of analysis or criticism. Considering the source is so much quicker and easier than determining the facts, following the reasoning, and criticizing the conclusion. The former gives us a primate warm fuzzy, whereas the latter is boring, tedious, and more often than not results only in provisional conclusions which seldom actually conclude anything at all.



    The operative word in cult of personality is "cult," and at the center of all such phenomena is inevitably and insupportable core of "because God/Mom/the President/my heart/David Pogue tells me so." The pain and disappointment that inevitably result are apparently more than compensated for by the way in which yesterday's idol can instantly be transformed into today's target. A large part of the appeal of worship is the way in which is provides a prefabricated scapegoat, someone or something to blame for our own disinclination to think.



    Trust is antithetical to any attempt to actually determine the truth about anything at all. But of course math is hard, and shopping is fun.
  • flaneurflaneur Posts: 3,763member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by erann View Post


    And when something positive happens Apple is not mentioned:



    "Foxconn Pay Raise", Huffington Post, 02.17.2012

    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/news/foxconn-pay-raise



    Good catch.
  • successsuccess Posts: 1,039member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


    That's ironic since the quality of NYT articles suggests they're mostly written by children.



    Exactly. No different than Fox.
  • flaneurflaneur Posts: 3,763member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rbryanh View Post


    No doubt… thoughtless, ignorant people whose use of language gives an altogether distasteful glimpse into their self-serving, deluded minds.



    Unless we're talking about the fruit, "Apple" is an abstraction, just like every corporation. Corporations are legal institutions, and have no thoughts, feelings, or values, or any self awareness capable of taking offense. Pretending otherwise may benefit the 5% of Americans who own 95% of the world, and them only in the very short term, but is a gruesome disservice to everyone else. This might seem a pointlessly punctilious distinction, but consider the the result to date of having assigned the corporation - which is nothing but a collection of paperwork - more legal rights than individuals – who live, breath, bleed, and die.



    As Michael Moore so adroitly demonstrated, if the corporation were an individual, we would have to diagnose it as psychotic and take appropriate steps to prevent it from harming itself and others. As it stands, Mr. Cook and his ilk routinely speak as high priests conveying the word of God, Inc., and the rest of us too often accept this lunacy at face value.



    Tim Cook is free to talk about his own values, or those of anyone he believes he represents, and to take responsibility for them. Talking about the "values" of Apple's, on the other hand, is nothing more than a way to escape the latter by refusing to do the former.



    Apple has no values, and so long as they go on pretending otherwise, neither do its owners, employees, or customers.



    You are confusing Apple with earlier, traditional corporations. Apple is the first Zen Buddhist media company of any size in history. Conscientiousness is built into the group of people who make up this particular corporate entity, whose business is world enlightenment.



    Similar to the first portable book publisher, Aldus Manutius, who c. 1500 began the last Enlightenment. New media force new consciousness.



    Except for those who can't open their eyes, who are stuck in the common pool of memes.
  • addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,667member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rain View Post


    Agree with you 100%.

    Remember thou, that a lot of the frothing Apple zealots on this site are investors. A negative light on Apple is a negative light on them and their god.



    To you and me and other sane people, Apple devices are technology gadgets and computing devices - to them, they are idols to be worshiped and CEO's are their clergy. Their rewards are monies and riches that they did nothing to earn.

    These sick psychophants dont care about child exploitation or an inhabitable planet - not as long as their false god continues to reward them.



    Apple's attempt to control the message through the medium will not be successful. Freedom has always found a way to weave through tyrany much more potent then a psudo american company like Apple.



    If you have a point to make make it. Relying on "those guys over there are losers, you and me are smart" makes you sound lazy in a way that can't be bothered to think very hard because it's easier to sneer.



    And friend? Can you link for me any example, whatsoever, where you have decried the ongoing and endemic problems with working conditions in China before it became a convenient cudgel to use against Apple, handed to you by other people? Because if you can't it really looks like your "concern" for those workers begins and ends with the chance to score points against a particular corporation and it's customers, as an exercise in stroking your vanity. Which would be pretty cynical, would it not? Much worse than even not caring, but actually wiling to distort and manipulate to serve an agenda entirely different from improving anyone's lot in life.
  • dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 12,353member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rbryanh View Post


    The lovely thing about worshipping pundits is the way it allows us accept what we're told without the burden of analysis or criticism. Considering the source is so much quicker and easier than determining the facts, following the reasoning, and criticizing the conclusion. The former gives us a primate warm fuzzy, whereas the latter is boring, tedious, and more often than not results only in provisional conclusions which seldom actually conclude anything at all.



    The operative word in cult of personality is "cult," and at the center of all such phenomena is inevitably and insupportable core of "because God/Mom/the President/my heart/David Pogue tells me so." The pain and disappointment that inevitably result are apparently more than compensated for by the way in which yesterday's idol can instantly be transformed into today's target. A large part of the appeal of worship is the way in which is provides a prefabricated scapegoat, someone or something to blame for our own disinclination to think.



    Trust is antithetical to any attempt to actually determine the truth about anything at all. But of course math is hard, and shopping is fun.



    You forgot Walt Mossberg/John Gruber
  • dacloodacloo Posts: 798member
    Bunch of Nazis.
  • dacloodacloo Posts: 798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post


    Apple is the first Zen Buddhist media company of any size in history. Conscientiousness is built into the group of people who make up this particular corporate entity, whose business is world enlightenment.



    Because Steve went to India when he was young?

    Get real.

    You should read their contracts. Nothing Zen about Apple.
  • lvidallvidal Posts: 149member
    I really saw that coming. Well deserved.



    Apple always highlighted NYT in its products to only receive that kind of bad journalism back.
  • galbigalbi Posts: 968member
    This just proves what I've been saying all along.



    As a condition to be "exclusively" invited to their press event, Apple asks for favorable reviews and hype over its products. The more hype and coverage you generate with the word "apple" in your tags, the more likely you will be awarded a spot to gain access.



    No one would dare say a bad thing about Apple now because they wield that heavy stick. Then again, that isnt quite surprising as they are bullies after all.





    Conflict of interest and little dose of moral hazard at hand folks.



    All those who say otherwise are in denial.



    If my statements were NOT true, then Apple would've continued to invite NY Times to their event.



    But, after this, that isn't so.



    Whats funny is that, all of the media companies after the "bad presses" regarding antenna gate issues, iPhone 4 design release and now the workplace issues are ALL based on facts.



    Apple doesn't want to ruin its perfectly molded image of its self as this prevailing white knight that everyone (especially in this neck of the woods) thinks the company is.



    In short, it didn't want to face the truth. What happened after the aftermath of all three instances? Rubber covers were issued to consumers for the antenna gate, more strict



    security policies were in place to prevent further leaks and increased scrutiny on its third party OEM's. None of this would've happened if the stuff that was reported were



    indeed false.



    The posts that I expect after this will determine who is truly delusional and those who are rational.



    Have at it people.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lvidal View Post


    I really saw that coming. Well deserved.



    Apple always highlighted NYT in its products to only receive that kind of bad journalism back.



    Bad journalism?



    How so?



    Because it reflects Apple in a negative way = "bad journalism"?



    So you think the practices that Apple's third party OEM's are doing are perfectly legal and okay?



    That there is nothing immoral about it?



    How about I call you having bad citizenship?



    If you see something wrong, you go and fix it.



    That is how civilizations expect of its citizens.



    Those who turn a blind eye to that in the name of personal gain don't have to right to be called citizens.



    Now in the face of globalization, we arent just citizens of certain countries of a "global" citizen now.



    We all should act like one.
  • palominepalomine Posts: 317member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dacloo View Post


    Because Steve went to India when he was young?

    Get real.

    You should read their contracts. Nothing Zen about Apple.



    Those complex and high context contracts are a reflection of what is required to even carry out a relationship with suppliers/customers et al. We live in a high context society whe every iota of terms and conditions are expected to be spelled out or NO DEAL.



    Doesn't mean Apple can't work within the constraints of modern international business to try to do the right thing wherever they can and be ever mindful of its very important customers. While Apple can't commandeer the plant in China , they can offer educational classes and try to raise the general conditions, even though they don't own it.



    It will be interesting to watch them be mindful into the future. For sure, they won't waste your time!
  • isaidsoisaidso Posts: 750member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Alonso Perez View Post


    Because Apple is #1 now. It's natural, not contrived, that they will draw the most attention. Also, what Apple has been doing is pretty common. Nokia has been doing audits for years. Apple is one of the better ones, but it is by no means alone, and frankly none of them are that great.



    Oh, so "NOW" (as you say) this is an issue that matters. But in the days before Apple was "#1", foxconn workers could just go f@#k themselves?

    You are really confused or a hypocrite.

    This condition has always been there, long before Apple was anything at all. It's always been there. THAT is the real story. (That, and the fact that Apple is "one of the better ones" on this issue just as you say ) But that is not what is being reported.

    The people working for Microsoft (foxconn) threatened suicide if working conditions did not improve for them. How is this not the front page newws on this issue?
Sign In or Register to comment.