Apple to spend $304M on new Austin, Tex., campus, creating 3600 new jobs

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 89
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post

I guess a $100 billion in the bank doesn't stop you taking all the state handouts you can get.

It certainly has never stopped professional sports.
  • Reply 82 of 89
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

It certainly has never stopped professional sports.

Or oil companies.....
  • Reply 83 of 89
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,898member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Or oil companies.....

I guess my response to all this tax break bribery that goes on is this: Why not pass a federal law forbidding such bribes so that every state appears equal to businesses looking to build a facility? This way a site is chosen based on it's actual merits and not on how much money a state can throw at a company for little or no actual return.
  • Reply 84 of 89
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WelshDog View Post

I guess my response to all this tax break bribery that goes on is this: Why not pass a federal law forbidding such bribes so that every state appears equal to businesses looking to build a facility? This way a site is chosen based on it's actual merits and not on how much money a state can throw at a company for little or no actual return.

Why not pass a Federal Law that forbids "investments" at the Federal level first and then let's talk about what a sovereign state can do with it's own money.

It's funny you know... how taxes are viewed as for the taking at the pleasure of those not doing the work. It's funnier still how corporate taxes are just a tax on the people buying the goods. What a scam..
  • Reply 85 of 89
    sessamoidsessamoid Posts: 182member
    Quote:

Read the US Constitution. This is not a power reserved for the federal government.
  • Reply 86 of 89
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sessamoid View Post

Read the US Constitution. This is not a power reserved for the federal government.

Wait a second...... Wouldn't the US Constitutuion trump Federal law?
  • Reply 87 of 89
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,898member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sessamoid View Post

Oh bull. It would well within the scope of the Constitution to regulate tax law so that it is applied fairly and evenly. I think there may already be such laws for certain situations.

And in my opinion, states rights are abused in the extreme. They need much heavier oversight to prevent this kind of unfair bending of tax laws.
  • Reply 88 of 89
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:

Oh bull. It would well within the scope of the Constitution to regulate tax law so that it is applied fairly and evenly. I think there may already be such laws for certain situations.

And in my opinion, states rights are abused in the extreme. They need much heavier oversight to prevent this kind of unfair bending of tax laws.

Re the bolded:

It depends on which taxes you mean.

The Constitution gives the federal government the right to regulate interstate commerce. As such, I believe it could be argued that it should be able to get involved in the sales tax dispute as it relates to interstate transactions.

I don't, however, see anything that gives the Federal Government the right to get involved in tax deals involving property tax or state income tax. While 'states rights' are often abused, I don't see any sign that this is an example of that. It seems to fall well within the intent of the Founding Fathers for states to be able to determine their own internal tax policies.
  • Reply 89 of 89
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

Since Apple is building the mothership in Cupertino, they should also design a scaled down version, a.k.a. "the daughtership"

The should make all their future regional offices daughterships.

All dockable with proprietary magnetic connectors