First 1080p Apple TV orders begin shipping, may see early delivery

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by F1Ferrari View Post

Maybe it's your settings, but I watch HD Netflix (well, 720p) through my 2nd AppleTV all the time. In fact, I was more excited by the updated AppleTV than the new iPad last week. The 1080p AppleTV will fit nicely with my living room HDTV, and I can put the 720p ATV on the little tv in my hobby room.

I am confused on why I would buy an Apple TV device, especially since I am not interested in Netflix.

Can someone explain to me, seriously? I am not a troll, just don't get what I will truly use it for?
  • Reply 22 of 34
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

1) 1080p is pretty much it but in the HW the Apple ASIC is better in order for the 4.0 Profile which could mean the quad-core GPU and 1GB RAM instead of 256(?) MB.

2) Netflix does offer 1080p.

I'm very excited to see the tear down. If have of what you say is true- that's be awesome. I'll take 512mb, and an a5 w/ dual core gpu.

My main hope is they have a better wifi setup inside that they didn't mention (like last years airport updates).
  • Reply 23 of 34
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

My main hope is they have a better wifi setup inside that they didn't mention (like last years airport updates).

At $99 and a hobby my first thought is that 802.11ac will not be a hidden HW feature.

I don't expect to see 802.11ac until, at the earliest, the next round of MBPs at which point I hope we get new routers.
  • Reply 24 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lalaruza View Post

I am confused on why I would buy an Apple TV device, especially since I am not interested in Netflix.

Can someone explain to me, seriously? I am not a troll, just don't get what I will truly use it for?

I use it for three reasons- others use it for more.

1- streaming music from iTunes match or iTunes library on Mac.

2- streaming kids movies and tv shows for my daughter (she isn't anal about video and sound quality like I am).

3- photo stream slideshows while background music is on.

Others really like to use it for mirroring they iPad or iPhone and surf the Internet, watch videos, play games, or whatever you'd normally do on your phone. I don't use it, but others do.

In all seriousness- apple tv is great of you're immersed in the ecosystem. If you aren't and just have a phone and no large iTunes library, a Roku box is a million times better (Hulu, HBOgo, USB attachment for music libraries, etc). Much more features. But alas- I'm stuck with apple (by choice )
  • Reply 25 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

At $99 and a hobby my first thought is that 802.11ac will not be a hidden HW feature.

I don't expect to see 802.11ac until, at the earliest, the next round of MBPs at which point I hope we get new routers.

I'm not saying ac, just better range. Much like the last airport. Still wireless n, but much greater range.
  • Reply 26 of 34
    Quote:

I use it for three reasons- others use it for more.

1- streaming music from iTunes match or iTunes library on Mac.

2- streaming kids movies and tv shows for my daughter (she isn't anal about video and sound quality like I am).

3- photo stream slideshows while background music is on.

Others really like to use it for mirroring they iPad or iPhone and surf the Internet, watch videos, play games, or whatever you'd normally do on your phone. I don't use it, but others do.

In all seriousness- apple tv is great of you're immersed in the ecosystem. If you aren't and just have a phone and no large iTunes library, a Roku box is a million times better (Hulu, HBOgo, USB attachment for music libraries, etc). Much more features. But alas- I'm stuck with apple (by choice )

Thanks...I am trying to really understand what else? I mean it seems cool, but not many of those features "WOW" me. I'm in the ecosystem, have two mbp's, iPad 2 and 2 4s's ..

Would like one, but I can't justify to my wife! LOL
  • Reply 27 of 34
    dbdukesdbdukes Posts: 12member
    Quote:

Thanks...I am trying to really understand what else? I mean it seems cool, but not many of those features "WOW" me. I'm in the ecosystem, have two mbp's, iPad 2 and 2 4s's ..

Wife felt the same way. When I hooked ours up (15 months ago) she was like, "What is that?!?"

Then, when she was able to play her iTunes music through the sound system, she was like, "Why didn't you get one of these earlier?"

Me? I use it as part of my "cutting the cord." I dropped cable (14 months ago). We get content via Apple TV or Roku. Not everything we used to get, to be sure, but a lot of stuff. Some content is only available (or most cost-effective) via iTunes, so the Apple TV works great for that. For Hulu+ or Amazon Instant Video, it's the Roku. For Netflix, it's whichever device we watched last.

My son has one, and also loves the Wall Street Journal, MLB and NBA channels; NHL not so much.

Apple TV might not be something you'd want, or care for if you got it. But do consider this: you might not need one "wow" feature; several little features may add up to make it worthwhile.

You're doing the right thing, though, getting feedback before you plunk down a Benjamin on a device. For me, it was worth it.
  • Reply 28 of 34
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:

I'm not saying ac, just better range. Much like the last airport. Still wireless n, but much greater range.

Gotcha. I guess we'll see if it has a different antenna assembly in the iFixit teardown. If that doesn't do it maybe a reviewer will do a comparative test to determine the range.
  • Reply 29 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Panu View Post

The Apple TVs will come on Friday. Apple's standard practice is to give no one an advantage. There is a hold on the delivery at the last distribution point, and the computer didn't take that into account when it issued the notice.

Maybe so. The email I got from Apple says it'll be delivered Thursday. I can't check the Apple Store (it's "busy updating"). But, last time I did, it said deliver between March 15 and March 21.

Of course, Apple's dates are just passing through what FedEx said. Running the tracking number from FedEx says it'll deliver Thursday (it's been in Memphis 3½ hours as I type this).
  • Reply 30 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Panu View Post

The Apple TVs will come on Friday. Apple's standard practice is to give no one an advantage. There is a hold on the delivery at the last distribution point, and the computer didn't take that into account when it issued the notice.

No, mine is on FedEx vehicle & out for local delivery now (Thursday).
  • Reply 31 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Unbeliever2 View Post

No, mine is on FedEx vehicle & out for local delivery now (Thursday).

Mine too. On the truck for delivery.

PaulD
  • Reply 32 of 34
    Delivered: 9:41 AM ET
  • Reply 33 of 34
    I just got a call from FedEx that mine is ready for pickup at my local FedEx!!!
  • Reply 34 of 34
    Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dbdukes View Post

Wife felt the same way. When I hooked ours up (15 months ago) she was like, "What is that?!?"

Then, when she was able to play her iTunes music through the sound system, she was like, "Why didn't you get one of these earlier?"

Me? I use it as part of my "cutting the cord." I dropped cable (14 months ago). We get content via Apple TV or Roku. Not everything we used to get, to be sure, but a lot of stuff. Some content is only available (or most cost-effective) via iTunes, so the Apple TV works great for that. For Hulu+ or Amazon Instant Video, it's the Roku. For Netflix, it's whichever device we watched last.

My son has one, and also loves the Wall Street Journal, MLB and NBA channels; NHL not so much.

Apple TV might not be something you'd want, or care for if you got it. But do consider this: you might not need one "wow" feature; several little features may add up to make it worthwhile.

You're doing the right thing, though, getting feedback before you plunk down a Benjamin on a device. For me, it was worth it.

dbdukes brought up some good points. But with all you have Apple-wise, whats another $100? Get it. If you don't use it or dislike it, then sell it on Craigslist for $80-90 (I also believe Apple has some sort of return policy).