Final Cut Pro X, Motion, Compressor updates roll out

2»

Comments

  • mkunertmkunert Posts: 11member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tundraBuggy View Post


    I worked on "Men in Black"....is that pro enough for you?? Its absolutely happening, get out of your delusion.



    So you're stating that Men in Black was cut on FCP X?



    Seriously doubt it.
  • ltcompuserltcompuser Posts: 219member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post


    No, I have Motion 5.0 and it was not purchased from the App Store. It was previously updated via Software Update. Apple has no upgrade path for transitioning to the App Store, evidently.



    Where was Motion 5 available other than the App Store? I bought it within a week of release last July and was sure it was only available through the App Store.
  • SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 24,491member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ltcompuser View Post


    Where was Motion 5 available other than the App Store? I bought it within a week of release last July and was sure it was only available through the App Store.



    Bought it as part of the Final Cut Studio "box set", then upgraded via Software Update to version 5.
  • ltcompuserltcompuser Posts: 219member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post


    Bought it as part of the Final Cut Studio "box set", then upgraded via Software Update to version 5.





    That sounds like a bug in their upgrade system.
  • lowededwookielowededwookie Posts: 701member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mKunert View Post


    So you're stating that Men in Black was cut on FCP X?



    Seriously doubt it.



    Are you an idiot? He's saying there is a paradigm shift in video editing happening and anyone saying there isn't is deluded.



    He used his Men in Black cred to highlight that he's not just some teenage fanboy in love with Apple products.
  • buckfuddybuckfuddy Posts: 1member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post


    Bought it as part of the Final Cut Studio "box set", then upgraded via Software Update to version 5.



    LOL... NOT!!



    Dude, that's complete NONSENSE. If you bought Final Cut Studio then you at the very most have Motion 4 and there most certainly was NEVER some Motion 5 upgrade available via Software Update... oh, puh-leeeeeze. So either you're full of it and you might want to get your eyes and software checked, or you're shooting for giggles and/or confusion with a really lame shtick. Since otherwise it's pretty effin' embarrassing when you repeatedly get all miffed in public over something NON-EXISTENT.



  • rob55rob55 Posts: 1,182member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tundraBuggy View Post


    ...in 2 years, Adobe and Avid will be scrambling to copy Apple like they always do.



    Well Adobe added a magnetic timeline-like feature to Photoshop 6 so it looks like they might be starting already.
  • conrailconrail Posts: 489member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AdamC View Post


    Now what will those experts who condemned FCPX and calling it iMovie pro has to say.

    Yes having crows for their 3 meals.

    To those who had jumped ship - too bad.



    They're probably going to say something like "congratulations on a minor point upgrade release.



    Really, there's nothing terribly groundbreaking here. 0.3 was a much bigger deal.
  • conrailconrail Posts: 489member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BuckFuddy View Post


    LOL... NOT!!



    Dude, that's complete NONSENSE. If you bought Final Cut Studio then you at the very most have Motion 4 and there most certainly was NEVER some Motion 5 upgrade available via Software Update... oh, puh-leeeeeze. So either you're full of it and you might want to get your eyes and software checked, or you're shooting for giggles and/or confusion with a really lame shtick. Since otherwise it's pretty effin' embarrassing when you repeatedly get all miffed in public over something NON-EXISTENT.







    For your consideration, the history of the Final Cut Pro Studio "box set"



    Went as high as FCP 7, Motion 4, and Compressor 3.5, plus a bunch of stuff that's been EOLed.
  • SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 24,491member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ltcompuser View Post


    That sounds like a bug in their upgrade system.



    Yes, I just went to the desktop (OSX) App Store, found Motion in their listings and it curiously had the word "Install" on the 'buy' button. I clicked on "Install" and it said:
    Motion 5.0 is already installed and was not purchased from the Mac App Store

    Do you want to buy Motion 5.0.3?
    Very weird.



    Weren't the updates after 5.0 free?
  • jlanddjlandd Posts: 825member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Conrail View Post


    They're probably going to say something like "congratulations on a minor point upgrade release.



    Really, there's nothing terribly groundbreaking here. 0.3 was a much bigger deal.



    True, but monitoring for broadcast and multicam work has not been smooth, even if they had been added features months ago. If this update does fix the quirks there that will be important, because really those two important aspects have not been solved to date. Plus, the last update didn't really address enough how it behaves with long form content, so if Apple finally puts THAT together, under "overall performance and stability" that would be a very good development.



    I'm rooting for FCPX, not against it. OTOH, the last Logic Pro and Aperture (especially) updates were two steps forward and one and a half back, so let's see how this goes.
  • ltcompuserltcompuser Posts: 219member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post


    Yes, I just went to the desktop (OSX) App Store, found Motion in their listings and it curiously had the word "Install" on the 'buy' button. I clicked on "Install" and it said:
    Motion 5.0 is already installed and was not purchased from the Mac App Store

    Do you want to buy Motion 5.0.3?
    Very weird.



    Weren't the updates after 5.0 free?



    I experienced a similar bug. I wanted to buy Aperture 3 and had Aperture 2 on my system. It wouldn't let me buy Aperture 3 no matter what I did. I even uninstalled Aperture 2.



    A few weeks later the bug was fixed, and the Installed button changed to Buy.



    It sounds like what's happening is that it sees your Motion 5, but doesn't find any proof of purchase. My Motion 5 updates have been free.
  • SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 24,491member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ltcompuser View Post


    I experienced a similar bug. I wanted to buy Aperture 3 and had Aperture 2 on my system. It wouldn't let me buy Aperture 3 no matter what I did. I even uninstalled Aperture 2.



    A few weeks later the bug was fixed, and the Installed button changed to Buy.



    It sounds like what's happening is that it sees your Motion 5, but doesn't find any proof of purchase. My Motion 5 updates have been free.



    Yes, I searched my computer just in case my memory on this issue was faulty, and I found that I had purchased the $49.99 update to Motion 5.0 last year... I found my iTunes receipt. At that time, was there a desktop App Store? I do not recall exactly how I managed to get Motion 5.0 on my iMac, which IS recognized by the system as being purchased from Apple, yet it cannot give me the updates. Bizarre. I'm thinking maybe I had it installed when I bought my new system...? At any rate, even if it was installed at the store level, what would explain the problem with not being able to update the application?
  • ltcompuserltcompuser Posts: 219member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post


    Yes, I searched my computer just in case my memory on this issue was faulty, and I found that I had purchased the $49.99 update to Motion 5.0 last year... I found my iTunes receipt. At that time, was there a desktop App Store? I do not recall exactly how I managed to get Motion 5.0 on my iMac, which IS recognized by the system as being purchased from Apple, yet it cannot give me the updates. Bizarre. I'm thinking maybe I had it installed when I bought my new system...? At any rate, even if it was installed at the store level, what would explain the problem with not being able to update the application?



    Yes there was an App Store then.





    Do you by any chance have Spotlight set to not index the Applications folder? If you do, then your apps won't show as being able to update. I had done that and after I allowed the Applications folder to be indexed by Spotlight the issue went away.
  • charleyclosecharleyclose Posts: 1member
    After upgrading to the latest versions of FCP X, Compressor and Motion, submitting to a Cluster (e.g. from FCP X, or from Compressor via "This Computer Plus") is no longer available. Did something change with Clusters? Also, Share Monitor no longer shows my Cluster. Anyone else experiencing this issue?
  • locutislocutis Posts: 1member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CharleyClose View Post


    After upgrading to the latest versions of FCP X, Compressor and Motion, submitting to a Cluster (e.g. from FCP X, or from Compressor via "This Computer Plus") is no longer available. Did something change with Clusters? Also, Share Monitor no longer shows my Cluster. Anyone else experiencing this issue?



    Same problem here.
  • SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 24,491member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ltcompuser View Post


    Yes there was an App Store then.





    Do you by any chance have Spotlight set to not index the Applications folder? If you do, then your apps won't show as being able to update. I had done that and after I allowed the Applications folder to be indexed by Spotlight the issue went away.



    No, not a Spotlight issue. I cleared it up by calling Apple. They told me to Open the Mac App Store, go to the "Purchases" tab, click on the "Install" button, which in turn asked for my password, which in turn started a download of the update.



    Weird. It sounded like it was not an uncommon problem.
  • ltcompuserltcompuser Posts: 219member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post


    No, not a Spotlight issue. I cleared it up by calling Apple. They told me to Open the Mac App Store, go to the "Purchases" tab, click on the "Install" button, which in turn asked for my password, which in turn started a download of the update.



    Weird. It sounded like it was not an uncommon problem.



    Glad you got it sorted. I went through multiple emails with support. In the end, I found the Spotlight solution on the net.
  • doctorgonzodoctorgonzo Posts: 529member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tundraBuggy View Post


    I worked on "Men in Black"....is that pro enough for you?? Its absolutely happening, get out of your delusion.



    It's not a delusion, sorry. All of this fanboyish talk of "new paradigms" and nonsense like that is just a bunch of words with no actual meaning.
Sign In or Register to comment.