Apple says it isn't working on any projects with Phillippe Starck

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 71
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by softeky View Post

At least his clock is accurate twice a day. Mines always a few seconds off.

Plus it is accurate every second of the day ... Somewhere on the planet!
  • Reply 62 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WelshDog View Post

You do realize the Louvre Pyramid was designed by I.M. Pei who is Chinese American - not French.

I.M. Pei is form over function. He also designed the iconic Bank of China tower here in Hong Kong. It is so poorly constructed that the floors and ceilings are up to four inches uneven across a single floor.

Maybe not form over function, but he has shown a terrible ability to coordinate with project planners with regard to construction and construction techniques.
  • Reply 63 of 71
    That drive he designed for Lacie is utterly tasteless. "BY STARCK" garishly stamped on the side of it? Whatever.

I will say that Ive's designs are getting a bit long in the tooth, but that's most likely the fault of management, not Ives.
  • Reply 64 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Junkyard Dawg View Post

I will say that Ive's designs are getting a bit long in the tooth.....

Really? Which ones? Why?

The market seems to disagree vehemently with you. Of course, the market is not populated by design elites.....

/reverence
  • Reply 65 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Doctor David View Post

The people who designed the UX that often results in people not setting the clock should die in a fire.

<blink>12:00AM</blink>

LOL. It's usually buried 5 menu levels down. Thanks, Sony.
  • Reply 66 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Junkyard Dawg View Post

I will say that Ive's designs are getting a bit long in the tooth, but that's most likely the fault of management, not Ives.

Don't mistake timeless design for long in the tooth.
  • Reply 67 of 71
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,898member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

I.M. Pei is form over function. He also designed the iconic Bank of China tower here in Hong Kong. It is so poorly constructed that the floors and ceilings are up to four inches uneven across a single floor.

Maybe not form over function, but he has shown a terrible ability to coordinate with project planners with regard to construction and construction techniques.

When you hire a hero architect like Pei, you expect there will be conflicts. Architects like Pei are very confident of their designs (right or wrong) and will defend them. During the design and construction of the Myerson Symphony Center in Dallas there were legendary battles between Pei and acoustician Russell Johnson. All of which dealt with form over function. I find the building beautiful and the acoustics downright astonishing. A balance was found. And if I remember correctly neither Pei or Johnson were happy.

Problems like you mention at the Bank of China Tower have little to do with architecture and more with building engineering/construction. Unless Pei's firm provided engineering services - then it's all on them.
  • Reply 68 of 71
    groakesgroakes Posts: 53member
    Now if it were Marc Newson, THAT would be somoene to get excited over...
  • Reply 69 of 71
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,898member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by groakes View Post

Now if it were Marc Newson, THAT would be somoene to get excited over...

Been thinking that same thing. And he is buds with Ive apparently.
  • Reply 70 of 71
    Whatever he's designing, it's sure to have a giant orange + sign on it.