Apple releases Logic Pro X 10.0.1 with fixes for Track Stacks, 24-bit audio files

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Less than 10 days after it become available, Apple's Logic Pro X was updated on Thursday to version 10.0.1, addressing issues that would down-convert 24-bit audio to 16-bit, inadvertently flatten audio in Track Stacks, and more.

Logic

Logic Pro X 10.0.1 is now available to download from the Mac App Store. According to Apple, the update has a number of stability and performance improvements, including:
  • Fixes an issue that could cause content downloading to stall
  • 24-bit audio files are no longer converted to 16-bit when exporting projects to AAF
  • Improves stability when switching between audio editors while Flex Pitch is enabled
  • Track Stacks that contain both software instrument and audio tracks will no longer be inadvertently flattened by loading a Patch
  • Tuner is now available when selecting a Track Stack containing audio tracks
  • Addresses graphic and selection behavior issues in the Score Editor
The release is recommended by Apple for all Logic Pro X customers. The $200 digital audio workstation and MIDI sequencer was first unveiled and released last Tuesday, with new features like Drummer, Flex Pitch, and the accompanying Logic Remote for iPad.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    I wish Apple would provide 24bit audio tracks for sale on iTunes.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    s.metcalfs.metcalf Posts: 975member

They could at least start with lossless 16-bit first...  image

• Reply 3 of 13
    jblongzjblongz Posts: 167member

I'm sure they are working on such lossless concepts.  There are a few issues to address:

1) Storage requirements will significantly increase. Thats more costs

2) Larger files will mean more complaining from carriers over streaming load.  More infrastructure load for carrier and costs for both sides.

I'd prefer so see a breakthrough in realtime decompression, similar to how Native Instruments, and EastWest do with their 24bit audio files.  Having a chip perform this on mobile devices can deliver higher quality audio without increasing storage, but at the cost of some more processing.

• Reply 4 of 13
    chabigchabig Posts: 641member

And neither comment #2 or #3 are relevant to the story. Logic Pro X is about making music, which includes editing. Resolution and fidelity is important during the creative process, but less so during delivery and consumption. Logic is not iTunes.

• Reply 5 of 13
    vorsosvorsos Posts: 302member

256kbps AAC is good enough in every consumer listening case.

You would only notice a difference on a $5,000+ system perfectly positioned in an externally soundproof room. Even then, only a double blind would be objective.

That said, the iTunes division does request 96k master files from studios, so any future change to the purchase file format can be converted from the highest possible source. I speculate having those masters may also aid in comparison testing of their products' DACs.

• Reply 6 of 13
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,745member
    I love Logic Pro X. Great to see Apple are keeping this baby updated so fast. The free Logic Pro X Remote for iPad is absolutely unbelievably useful. I also love that MIDI Guitar, an App for OS X also runs great with the new Logic Pro X. My only small frustration at the moment is running all the above in Mavericks and iOS 7. Mavericks rocks as the full screen mode now allows additional screens as usable, but at the moment iOS 7 has a conflict as the gesture for Control Center. It is in direct conflict with many gestures required for Logic Pro X Remote. Hopefully a simple fix is coming soon.

Keep em coming Apple ... now how about Aperture Pro X and a pro photo retouching application ... ?? 8-)
  • Reply 7 of 13
    I salivate at the thought of 24-bit music on iTunes.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    chabigchabig Posts: 641member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Potsie Webber View Post

Here is a good article on why 24 bit doesn't matter. http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

• Reply 9 of 13
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    vorsos wrote: »
    That said, the iTunes division does request 96k master files from studios...

Didn't know that. Has that changed; did it used to be 48k or 24k earlier?

chabig wrote: »
    Here is a good article on why 24 bit doesn't matter. http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Fantastic article! Thanks for the link!
  • Reply 10 of 13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Potsie Webber View Post

No, you believe you could be the only human on this planet that could even tell the difference.

That constantly reiterated, pretentious nonsense it getting SO tired.

• Reply 11 of 13

OK.  I took the plunge.

Amazing software.  And the iPad app makes it plain fun.

• Reply 12 of 13
    vorsosvorsos Posts: 302member

PhilBoogie View Post

Vorsos View Post

Possibly. I don't know what Apple did before Ars covered the Mastered for iTunes program:

Apple said the conversion process it uses to convert from uncompressed audio to iTunes Plus format is special, downsampling high-resolution audio to 44.1kHz using 32-bit floating point values, which are then converted to AAC directly. This process significantly reduces noise and dithering typically introduced in downsampling, so engineers can submit 24-bit 96kHz files directly.

• Reply 13 of 13
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    vorsos wrote: »
    PhilBoogie go_quote.gif
    Vorsos go_quote.gif

Possibly. I don't know what Apple did before Ars covered the Mastered for iTunes program:
    <span style="color:rgb(38,48,52);font-family:Arial, sans-serif;font-size:14px;line-height:20px;">Apple said the conversion process it uses to convert from uncompressed audio to iTunes Plus format is special, downsampling high-resolution audio to 44.1kHz using 32-bit floating point values, which are then converted to AAC directly. This process significantly reduces noise and dithering typically introduced in downsampling, so engineers can submit 24-bit 96kHz files directly.</span>

Heck, now there's an informative post! Thanks!