DVD recognition

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hey y'all!

I hope you can help me with this very ANNOYING problem. I have OS 10.2.4 on a g4 733 w/ 512 mb of ram. Lately, in the past couple of months or so, my computer has been acting VERY difficult when I insert a DVD. It hardly ever recognizes it! It has no problem recognizing cds, but it recognizes a dvd the first time I insert it less than half the time. Usually, If i fiddle around enough, like re-starting with the dvd in the drive, i can eventually get it, but last night it wouldn't recognize a dvd no matter what I tried! I'm pretty sure it's not just because the dvds are damaged because it does this for lots of different dvds that have no problem working elsewhere.

any thoughts?

Thanks!

Bill

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    rodukroduk Posts: 706member
    The only thing that I can think of, and it may not be the answer, is that specs of dust or something have accumulated on the laser lens over a period of time. I'm not sure this explains why CDs work, though I guess the more tightly packed data on a DVD may result in problems sooner if the lens is dirty. You can clean it by buying a special CD that has a soft bristle 'brush' on the surface. Just a thought, it's the first thing I'd try.

[ 03-02-2003: Message edited by: RodUK ]</p>