First look: Apple's all-new Photos for OS X brings the best of iPhone, iPad & iCloud to the Mac

Comments

• Reply 61 of 127
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by John.B View Post

Where are all the people who thought Photos would have Aperture featuress?

All I expect from Apple is to offer me an awesome photo management system that works across all my devices and creative software.

Professional photographers do not need Aperture as they make use of Lightroom & Photoshop. Two powerful apps from Adobe, available at a very low monthly fee. However, if done well, the Photos app could replace Adobe's Bridge.

That is not to say that there is no future for Aperture. It could appeal to the semi-professional, someone who doesn't need the powerful features of Photoshop.

• Reply 62 of 127

Does anyone know if Photos will also be able to access its library from an external drive just like iPhoto? Or we'll be forced to keep the library on the internal drive now? Thanks.

• Reply 63 of 127
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    xixo wrote: »
    tl;dr

I have no desire to share my photos via anything-cloud.

Wait until your wife's nude selfies appear across the whole "family share". (Or your mistress's selfies)

If you're having an affair you've got bigger problems than getting caught.
  • Reply 64 of 127
    So I assume that all of your Events can be transitioned to Photos intact? What about location information add manually in iPhoto and Aperture?
  • Reply 65 of 127
    So I assume that all of your Events can be transitioned to Photos intact? What about location information add manually in iPhoto and Aperture?
  • Reply 66 of 127
    Thanks for the story guys!

I have a couple of questions...

1 - Does the beta give the user the ability to organize projects, albums, etc into folders?
    2 - How does syncing with devices work for photos that are locally stored on the Mac?

Regarding the thumbnails in the article... they do not work too well in Safari for me, but they look fine in Firefox.

Thanks again!
  • Reply 67 of 127
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I have a question. Lots of posters on MacRumors are complaining because this app doesn't have feature parity with Aperture. But I thought this app was supposed to be an iPhoto replacement not an Aperture replacement?Yes Apple stopped development on Aperture but I don't remember them specifically saying Photos was a replacement, only that libraries would migrate.
  • Reply 68 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I have a question. Lots of posters on MacRumors are complaining because this app doesn't have feature parity with Aperture. But I thought this app was supposed to be an iPhoto replacement not an Aperture replacement?Yes Apple stopped development on Aperture but I don't remember them specifically saying Photos was a replacement, only that libraries would migrate.

Apple told pros to migrate to Lightroom. Total surrender of that market segment.

But most Aperture users were not pros, but enthusiasts like myself. Photos is a major disappointment from what we have seen so far.

• Reply 69 of 127
    The only thing that I need now is to see is a comparison between Aperture and Photos features. While I understand the need for a comparison with iPhoto, this is a replacement for Aperture too. I, and I think many others, are Aperture users and we need to know more about that. We are losing our product too. There wasn't any information about that except mentioning the tools.
  • Reply 70 of 127
    Apple really needs to give more free iCloud storage or I am not going to really use the service.
  • Reply 71 of 127
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

By reading the thread.

Oh really? Because reading this thread or every thread is nothing but a whiny pissing match over what this can do vs Aperture vs. iPhoto vs. Lightroom vs. Who gives a ****.

I want to use THIS program. And I would like if the god damn thread would talk about this program.

Everyone of you should have your posts deleted for derailing the entire thread into your childish debate. No one cares.

• Reply 72 of 127
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member

After opening Photos and letting it create a new library with just my iCloud content, I can see there is no way to import anything from iPhoto at that point.

So I held option, and selected my iPhoto Library to open in Photos. That went surprisingly fast and the entire library is now there. Great.

Trying to turn on iCloud, (you have to tell it that this is your primary library, whatever), it scans photo/video size, and now just says Updating...

I let it alone over night and it still just says Updating...

I gather it will take a bit to upload everything, but it is not uploading anything. And yes I have enough iCloud storage for this.

UPDATE: A Reboot seems to have helped.

• Reply 73 of 127
    All about sharing, integration, and slick look. Little to nothing about converting raw, editing, adjusting and anything that a photographer would want. This would be fine if Apple didn't abandon Aperture. Big mistake.
  • Reply 74 of 127
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    pmz wrote: »
    philboogie wrote: »
    By reading the thread.

Oh really? Because reading this thread or every thread is nothing but a whiny pissing match over what this can do vs Aperture vs. iPhoto vs. Lightroom vs. Who gives a ****.

I want to use THIS program. And I would like if the god damn thread would talk about this program.

Everyone of you should have your posts deleted for derailing the entire thread into your childish debate. No one cares.

1) Yes really. You asked a question that was already answered by [@]Boltsfan17[/@] in post 21, where he linked to The Verge article, answering your question.

2) Whassup wit da harsh statements? U mad?
  • Reply 75 of 127
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    All about sharing, integration, and slick look. Little to nothing about converting raw, editing, adjusting and anything that a photographer would want. This would be fine if Apple didn't abandon Aperture. Big mistake.

I'm missing future updates to Aperture as well. Still, not that the program stops working all of a sudden. It's supported throughout OSX 10. As much as I prefer that program, I wouldn't want to call it a mistake. At $79 it's hardly a big revenue. iPhones are, so the tighter the ecosystem integration the more enticed people will be to Get A Mac. If I'm not mistaken.
  • Reply 76 of 127
    Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I don't know but I know a lot of us hoped it would have. Just spent the night playing with it. Sadly this is iPhoto gone to the cloud I won't elaborate due to the DNA (not that seems to bother AI but it does me).

I will say, it's a great product for the masses' holiday snaps and the like but useless for a serious photographer. I just don't understand why Apple don't just keep Aperture. Lots of photographers prefer it to Lightroom. We have Garage Band and Logic Pro X, we have iMovie and FCPro X why on earth can't we have Photos and Aperture Pro X? /rant

"We have Garage Band and Logic Pro X, we have iMovie and FCPro X...."

That's what we have - for now.  Nothing stopping Apple from replacing Garage Band / Logic Pro X with an Audio app and iMovie / FCPX with a Video app.  Not saying it will happen but it wouldn't surprise me either.

• Reply 77 of 127
    boriscleto wrote: »

Apple told pros to migrate to Lightroom. Total surrender of that market segment.

But most Aperture users were not pros, but enthusiasts like myself. Photos is a major disappointment from what we have seen so far.

Disappointment based on what? Like I said I don't remember Apple ever saying Photos was meant to replace Aperture, at least not the first version. If that's what people were expecting then I think they had unrealistic expectations.
  • Reply 78 of 127
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Disappointment based on what? Like I said I don't remember Apple ever saying Photos was meant to replace Aperture, at least not the first version. If that's what people were expecting then I think they had unrealistic expectations.

You're right, Apple never said it was a replacement for Aperture.

• Reply 79 of 127
    rfrmac wrote: »
    The only thing that I need now is to see is a comparison between Aperture and Photos features. While I understand the need for a comparison with iPhoto, this is a replacement for Aperture too. I, and I think many others, are Aperture users and we need to know more about that. We are losing our product too. There wasn't any information about that except mentioning the tools.

Just because Apple stopped development on Aperture doesn't mean they're considering the Photos app to be its replacement. If you did a side by side feature comparison you'd be disappointed as the Photos app does not have feature parity with Aperture. Maybe someday it will, all depends on what Apple's intentions are. Maybe they're perfectly fine with professionals/prosumers going to Adobe.
  • Reply 80 of 127
    blah64blah64 Posts: 993member
    1983 wrote: »
    However, would anyone in their right mind entrust all their beloved photos to iCloud without storing them locally on their Mac as well? Seems foolhardy to me. 
    1983 wrote: »
    ... I hope I don't have to use iCloud with this though.

Totally agree on not wanting to use iCloud. I don't want any of my personal stuff like photos sitting in the cloud. Foolish stuff.

Separately from personal preferences, back to a factual/objective question:

Assuming that one does not (will not) use iCloud for anything (no account, no appleID, etc), is this strictly a step down in functionality? In other words, assume that I never want to do any hosting/sharing/publishing of my personal photos online, how does this new app compare with "local" iPhoto.

Just spent the night playing with it. Sadly this is iPhoto gone to the cloud

This ^^ is my worry. Without breaking your NDA ("DNA" above, haha), what are your thoughts on the above?