Tech shuttle drivers approve Teamsters contract, Apple working with contractors to raise pay

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 51
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    solipsismy wrote: »
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    I just love a good 'go to college, and live happily ever after' story. Going to college isn't a guarantor that someone is going to find a higher paying job. In fact the person might only be able to find a lower paying job once he/she graduates.

I don't have enough data in which state my personal feelings on the subject, but it seems like I've read more articles in the last 5 years about how college is just an expensive waste of time and energy for something that will do most people in the future little to no good. That reads a bit too extreme, for me, but I can see how college may not be as important or as financially advantageous today where even children with a marketable idea can get rich quickly due to anonymity and a worldwide market. Maybe the last brilliant 99¢ app I bought on the App Store was designed by a 14yo who became millionaire overnight, or the last youTube video I was sent had enough page views to support someone for a few years.

True but we all can't be Nguy?n Hà ?ông, PewDiePie, and Cupquake. For every dev, and YouTuber that gets rich there are thousands upon thousands that aren't. How about longevity? How long can these people continue to earn in this fashion?

My nephew studied advertising at FIT (Fashion Institute of Technology) in NYC, and hasn't been able to find work in the advertising rich city. He's spent years jumping from low paying job to low paying job. The longer he isn't able to find work the least likely he'll get hired.
  • Reply 42 of 51
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,099member
    I just love a good 'go to college, and live happily ever after' story. Going to college isn't a guarantor that someone is going to find a higher paying job. In fact the person might only be able to find a lower paying job once he/she graduates.

You obviously have a chip on your shoulder with this subject. I said going to "college" is an option. Hoes about higher learning? Trade school? Heck, if I'm a bus driver, I'll consider night-school and learn to be an electrician and run my own shop. Heck, there are options.

My point is that I would do something else instead of complaining about the status quo.

Please return to your "but...but...but..." because everyone is special and all deserve first-place medals.

I have a best friend that got a degree as an environmental engineer. Couldn't get a job. He realized his degree was useless and moved on. Today, he is an owner of his own plumbing repair business and pulls in a salary of over $250k/yr. because he took the initiative instead of hoping on someone else's generosity and accepting he got a degree in a field that doesn't pay squat.

Maybe tell your nephew that his "degree" was a waste. College is not a guarantee if anything. In my friend's case, there will always be pipes to repair.
  • Reply 43 of 51
    N

I agree that going to college will not guarantee a graduate of being able to find a high priced job. Developing marketable skills pretty much does and college is great at doing that. In fact I would lay odds that most of those "Fat Cats" being driven around in those buses have College Degrees.

Since the 1990's US Census figures continue to show a very high correlation between having a college degree and higher income growth than those without a degree. Is this because a College Degree is a magical piece of paper that make you money. Nope. It just certifies that you have a certain level of competence in a specific field. You still have to market yourself and find the opportunities in the market you have chosen to work (just like everyone else).

Once you have found those opportunities you have to work your butt off to take advantage of them and prove that you are worth your higher wage. It's amazing what people/companies will pay people if they think that person is making far more money for them than what they are being paid.
  • Reply 44 of 51
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    The problem is when you're pay used to afford you a decent living in an expensive part of the country, and now almost overnight it doesn't.

Silicon Valley didn't become what it is today overnight.
  • Reply 45 of 51
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    mrmdavis wrote: »
    Since the 1990's US Census figures continue to show a very high correlation between having a college degree and higher income growth than those without a degree.

Sure, but that isn't the concern. To use an extreme example, say that college costs $500,000, takes 10 years, and the average is only $1 per hour more than a non-college graduate. That fits your narrative, above, but how many years would you have to work in order to 1) make up that college cost, and 2) make more money than the person that jumped into the work force right after high school?

(Please show your work so you can get full credit. This will be on the final exam. :))

Of course that isn't the case today nor has that ever been the case, but there does seem to be a diluting of the value of the college degree along with an increased cost for obtaining one. At what point does the degree become nuetralized compare to other options?

Personally, I am all for college courses which is something I do nearly every semester depart not being degree seeking.
    Is this because a College Degree is a magical piece of paper that make you money. Nope. It just certifies that you have a certain level of competence in a specific field. You still have to market yourself and find the opportunities in the market you have chosen to work (just like everyone else).

Some degrees, especially higher education degrees , yes, but most are just general ed hat afford you no special skills toward your degree. For that reason I would say that a college degree looks good to prospective employees because it shows that you can eat shit. Meaning, you can spend months on a clas doing something seemingly pointless for a teacher (read: boss). Discipline is not an easy skill to teach, nor is it usually worth a company to teach someone, regardless of their other aptitudes, which is why eating shit is such a value trait for a low level employee.
  • Reply 46 of 51
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by techemployee View Post

It's basic arithmetic: if companies want to have bus drivers, they need to pay the bus drivers enough to live in the Bay Area.

Why do they have to live in the Bay Area? In expensive cities many of the public servants such as teachers, police and firefighters commute even up to 2 hours each way so they can have an affordable place to live. Bay Area probably has a decent rail and public transportation system as well. 

• Reply 47 of 51
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    mstone wrote: »

It's basic arithmetic: if companies want to have bus drivers, they need to pay the bus drivers enough to live in the Bay Area.
    Why do they have to live in the Bay Area? In expensive cities many of the public servants such as teachers, police and firefighters commute even up to 2 hours each way so they can have an affordable place to live. Bay Area probably has a decent rail and public transportation system as well. 

Is it because it's affordable or because it's the suburbs, and they can't find work there?
  • Reply 48 of 51

There's barely affordable housing within 2 hours of Cupertino/SF/Oakland, and soon there won't be any.

Also, the people who work for the decent rail and public transportation systems make well over $27K/yr.  It would make sense that Apple and other tech companies would want to pay competitively with those transit systems.

All that said, you're not going to have decent cops/police/firefighters if it requires a 2 hour commute to get there.  Over time, the quality will decline--and we've already seen this happening.

I'll reiterate: anyone who thinks that paying bus drivers a living wage is not a good idea should stop buying our products.  I don't want you to benefit from the work I do.  I don't want your money.  It's gross to take money from people who are this greedy.

• Reply 49 of 51
    igxqrrligxqrrl Posts: 105member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

I don't have enough data in which state my personal feelings on the subject, but it seems like I've read more articles in the last 5 years about how college is just an expensive waste of time and energy for something that will do most people in the future little to no good. That reads a bit too extreme, for me, but I can see how college may not be as important or as financially advantageous today where even children with a marketable idea can get rich quickly due to anonymity and a worldwide market. Maybe the last brilliant 99¢ app I bought on the App Store was designed by a 14yo who became millionaire overnight, or the last youTube video I was sent had enough page views to support someone for a few years.

Nor I, but I do believe I've seen very strong correlations between the degree acquired and the resulting job prospects. There are many English majors struggling at minimum wage jobs. There are very few engineers doing the same.

So yes, a diploma is not a magical document that confers a 6-figure salary. One must put some thought into the program one chooses.

• Reply 50 of 51
    igxqrrligxqrrl Posts: 105member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Well said. Further, the long commute is not exclusive to lower-paid public servants. Many highly paid employees enjoy multiple-hour daily commutes because, like lower-paid employees, the lifestyle they desire requires them to live outside of an expensive metropolitan area.

• Reply 51 of 51
    knowitallknowitall Posts: 1,648member
    Good to hear they got a better deal, that's way better than MS sacking all of Nokia.
    Most of the time people who get paid the most deserve it the least and do even less.
    Managers have very high salaries compared to people who do actual work, like writing software or driving a bus (and you do have to be skilled to drive a bus, I know because once I drove one) and do mostly noting except obstructing the work and securing even more wages.
    So let's fix that: actual work is highly underrated.