Speakers for iBook?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hi,

I've been using my new iBook for a while now and I've ripped a good chunk of my CD collection onto my hard disk and I have iTunes playing a lot of the time but I've noticed that the sound quality isn't exactly great.

Of course, I didn't expect great audio quality from laptop speakers so I'm now thinking about buying some external speakers (probably with a subwoofer). Does anybody have any experience with adding speakers to the iBook? I've looked at Apple's website and I'm considering the Altec Lansing 2100 system (although the Harmon Kardon Soundsticks look nice they're a little too pricey for me).

Will the addition of this system (or another like it) significantly increase the quality of music playback on an iBook or is there some other limiting factor inherent within the system? Also, are the Apple Pro Speakers worth considering?

Thanks in advance,

Tom

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    xionjaxionja Posts: 504member
    Now I'm not sure about this but. . . I know my when we were looking for better speakers for my sisters iBook, we discovered that the Apple Pro Speakers were not compatible and would not work with the iBook. ??? I think it had something to do with the imput, maybe someone with more knowledge than I can tell us why not, (probly something with the output) And then of course what sorta speaker output would work with the iBook.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    The tower's speakers don't work because of the the input(the tower's have a propriety connection, even though it looks like it would fit in the headphone port). The cube's speakers *will* work, but only up to half volume. The cube's USB ports and the ADC display's all have USB ports that put out twice as much power as the USB spec calls for. That's why you plug them into the display or cube, not keyboard. I have heard that the JBL Creature speakers are good, but I haven't heard them myself.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    Oh yeah, and anything that is USB or plugs into the headphone jack should work.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    The iBook speakers are not to bad, they are just to quite. My old Xp 1ghz Laptop had JBL Pro Speakers that where very good. I went out and bought some external speakers with sub woofer for my ibook. it has a 4.1 with a little sub. Although I can only use 2 of the 4 speakers it doesn't really matter because I don't have a spot to place the 2 other speakers behind me and for only 58$ @ walmart I won't complain. I also have a descent set of JBL Pro speakers that I like a lot but I just wanted a sub. My neighbors like it to :-b.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    OK, thanks for the advice all. I'll probably go ahead and order the Altec Lansing system.

Thanks,

Tom