Early reviews peg Samsung's Galaxy S7 as a serious contender for best smartphone

Comments

• Reply 61 of 121
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member

vision33r said:
    Most folks here are too young to remember that Apple once enjoyed almost a decade lead in processing power on the RISC based PowerPc platform over Intel's x86.  It wasn't until the late 00' when AMD and Intel made significant increases in processing power at much lower prices.  A few years late Steve Jobs had no choice but to join x86 as IBM and Motorola could not compete against Intel.  It's very possible that apple will lose their custom ARM SOC to another company this decade.  Intel could compete with them directly if they wanted to.  But it seems Samsung or Qualcomm have made lots of process and have eroded the Apple processing power.  All they really need is more work with Google to optimize the platform better.

If anyone has owned the S6 Edge+ and iPhone 6S+ can  tell the Samsung device is simply amazing. It has a much higher screen resolution and usable surface than the iPhone 6S+.  The camera is amazing in low light and resolution.  The curved screen is a thing of beauty.  iPhone just looks so dated and ordinary next to it.

I do think Apple will maintain some lead over Qualcomm. Apple's semi team is good.

But Apple has degraded in design IMO. The 4/4s IMO, was the best looking iPhone. Then the 5/5s. Then the 6/6s. Then the 3G/GS. Even the original looked better than the 3G/GS.

Maybe Apple will come back around.

I ordered a SS7 Edge. Partly as I am agitated with Cook and partly out of sheer curiosity. I am on T-Mobile so I can do another upgrade by the time the iPhone 7 hits. Not commited to Samsung but am going to give the S7 a spin. I got one of their plasma TV's which I love.
  • Reply 62 of 121
    msantti said:

The reviews I've read state the S7 is pretty fast but they still have the occasional hiccup/lag.

Then there's that Reddit user who ran AnTuTu back to back 3 times and got scores of 124, 93 and 95. Sure looks like the SD820 is a sprinter and not a marathon runner (starts to throttle). Which means its GPU advantage isn't really an advantage at all, unless you only play games for a couple minutes at a time. 
    I have read where single core tasks were faster on the 6s while multi-core tests were faster on the S7. Also read that the GPU was faster on the S7.

Need to find where I saw tht yesterday.

Single core is far more important considering how few Apps actually utilize multiple cores. Faster GPU is useless if it throttles after a few minutes.
    jony0radarthekatcornchip
  • Reply 63 of 121
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,311member
    levi said:
    sog35 said:
    Samsung does some things right:

1. Nice overall design. I like the small bezel. I hope iPhone7 has smaller bezel's than iPhone6
    2. Great screen

But iPhone is still superior because:

1. Better Privacy. No Google, Samsung, and Carrier spying on you. 
    2. Much less bloatware. Google, Samsung, and Carrier bloat.
    3. Better operating system
    4. Much more secure digital payments
    5. Much better resale value
    6. Much better customer service
    7. Faster real world performance
    8. Better ecosystem, services, and Apps

I don't see this phone making much of a dent in iPhone sales.  Samsung needs to do something really spectacular to steal iPhone sales. They did this 4 years ago by selling phones with big screens. Samsung really needs to bring out a foldable screen to stand any chance against Apple.  If they could make a 6 inch screen that folds in half (so its as pocketable as a 5s) then they could steal sales. They won't do it with this iPhone clone.
    The list is spot on. 
    1. Sadly the carriers still do a fair amount of tracking for ad (and perhaps "other") purposes. Verizon was just fined for their "supercookies" for instance. Look it up if you aren't familiar with what those are. Carriers also generally know who you are, where you are, who you text, who you call, and a plethora of other data points on their subscribers. That's true whether you own an iPhone, Android, Blackberry or Winphone. Google or DDG "mobile carriers track users" to learn more about how the carriers fit in the tracking picture. Here's a very short summation for those that don't have time to do the research themselves.
    https://www.helpnetsecurity.com/2015/08/18/does-your-mobile-carrier-track-you-online/

4. As far as "secure" digital payments all of them adhere to the same standards as set up by the payment industry and all use tokens in place of your real CC number so your actual card credentials are never shared with the seller. I think many folks misunderstand the transaction security of Apple Pay as compared to Android Pay or Samsung Pay. 
    http://www.phonearena.com/news/Apple-Pay-vs-Samsung-Pay-vs-Android-Pay-comparison_id77632
    edited March 2016 jony0cnocbui
  • Reply 64 of 121
    msantti said:
    I have read where single core tasks were faster on the 6s while multi-core tests were faster on the S7. Also read that the GPU was faster on the S7.

Need to find where I saw tht yesterday.

Single core is far more important considering how few Apps actually utilize multiple cores. Faster GPU is useless if it throttles after a few minutes.
    Oky, faster GPU worthless.

Unless its Apple's.

Got it,
    cnocbuisingularityAI2xxx
  • Reply 65 of 121
    koopkoop Posts: 337member
    msantti said:

vision33r said:
    Most folks here are too young to remember that Apple once enjoyed almost a decade lead in processing power on the RISC based PowerPc platform over Intel's x86.  It wasn't until the late 00' when AMD and Intel made significant increases in processing power at much lower prices.  A few years late Steve Jobs had no choice but to join x86 as IBM and Motorola could not compete against Intel.  It's very possible that apple will lose their custom ARM SOC to another company this decade.  Intel could compete with them directly if they wanted to.  But it seems Samsung or Qualcomm have made lots of process and have eroded the Apple processing power.  All they really need is more work with Google to optimize the platform better.

If anyone has owned the S6 Edge+ and iPhone 6S+ can  tell the Samsung device is simply amazing. It has a much higher screen resolution and usable surface than the iPhone 6S+.  The camera is amazing in low light and resolution.  The curved screen is a thing of beauty.  iPhone just looks so dated and ordinary next to it.

I do think Apple will maintain some lead over Qualcomm. Apple's semi team is good.

But Apple has degraded in design IMO. The 4/4s IMO, was the best looking iPhone. Then the 5/5s. Then the 6/6s. Then the 3G/GS. Even the original looked better than the 3G/GS.

Maybe Apple will come back around.

I ordered a SS7 Edge. Partly as I am agitated with Cook and partly out of sheer curiosity. I am on T-Mobile so I can do another upgrade by the time the iPhone 7 hits. Not commited to Samsung but am going to give the S7 a spin. I got one of their plasma TV's which I love.

I have to agree. The iPhone has gotten progressively more unattractive with every release. The 6/6s is some ways looks like they started to design a good looking phone and never completed it. The Galaxy S6/7 is one of the sexiest phones I've ever seen, and that crown used to belong to Apple.
    AI2xxx
  • Reply 66 of 121
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    clemynx said:
    donth8 said:
    And yet the S7 is still slower CPU wise even though it is 6 months newer:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/10120/the-samsung-galaxy-s7-review/3

Oh and it seems to overheat after high usage:

That's the kind of stuff that drives fandroids crazy.

The battery on the iPhone seems to be better too even if it's smaller !

That said, it only took Samsung 7 years to make an OS that is almost devoid of hiccups.
    This is one area that Apple can really take advantage over Android but failed.  Apple is too obsessed with thinness that it chooses to use smaller battery.  If iPhone battery is as big as Android phones, the battery advantage will become noticeable which will deal a pretty big blow to Android phones. 
  • Reply 67 of 121

msantti said:

Unless its Apple's.

Got it,
    It's also a misunderstanding the design. the GPU doesn't "throttle" it spikes. It has a turbo mode because games themselves spike in GPU processing power depending on what is going on. In Final Fantasy IX, the GPU can manage at a normal clock rate when you're running around a city or dungeon, and then burst into a faster rate during a more complex battle sequence. The peaks and valleys of video games allow for a GPU design like this to be very effective. 
  • Reply 68 of 121
    So it's got 'extra fizz' - big f deal! Better camera - BS! Amoled screen - who cares? Let's face it, it's just another steaming pile of gimmicky rip-off shite!!!!
  • Reply 69 of 121
    donth8donth8 Posts: 29member
    koop said:

msantti said:

Unless its Apple's.

Got it,
    It's also a misunderstanding the design. the GPU doesn't "throttle" it spikes. It has a turbo mode because games themselves spike in GPU processing power depending on what is going on. In Final Fantasy IX, the GPU can manage at a normal clock rate when you're running around a city or dungeon, and then burst into a faster rate during a more complex battle sequence. The peaks and valleys of video games allow for a GPU design like this to be very effective. 
    On non demanding games that may be true but when you have to run a game in 1440p resolution the GPU will have to throttle since it can't reach Vsync even on max power. My question is why put a 1440p screen on a phone when your GPU can't handle it at 30fps? My guess is because they wanted to mitigate the problems associated with Pentile displays and raising the PPI is the only solution. Also, even though they offer a higher resolution the UI doesn't offer more content. If you load a web page on the 6s and the s7 they will show the exact same content. I just don't see the point of having these ultra high resolution displays on phones.
    ericthehalfbeeradarthekat
  • Reply 70 of 121
    donth8 said:
    koop said:

On non demanding games that may be true but when you have to run a game in 1440p resolution the GPU will have to throttle since it can't reach Vsync even on max power. My question is why put a 1440p screen on a phone when your GPU can't handle it at 30fps? My guess is because they wanted to mitigate the problems associated with Pentile displays and raising the PPI is the only solution. Also, even though they offer a higher resolution the UI doesn't offer more content. If you load a web page on the 6s and the s7 they will show the exact same content. I just don't see the point of having these ultra high resolution displays on phones.
    Would you be saying this if Apple released a higher resolution screen tomorrow?
    singularity
  • Reply 71 of 121
    Does anyone else think the iPhone 6 copied the HTC one m7. And also I see many saying the design of the S7 copied the iPhone which I don't see. Also the iPhones have smaller batteries so how could battery life be better on iPhone. All I see is a bunch of people who can't accept something superior to their iPhone. 
    The iPhone 5 released in 2012 already had an all aluminum body with curved edges, if anything it was HTC who copied Apple. The only thing you can say apple copied was put the antennas on the back of the phone like HTC did. Regarding the s7 (more so the s6 last year) it was an obvious copy of Apple design with the metal "premium" feel and the glass back like the iPhone 4 had in 2010... 
  • Reply 72 of 121

Does anyone else think the iPhone 6 copied the HTC one m7. And also I see many saying the design of the S7 copied the iPhone which I don't see. Also the iPhones have smaller batteries so how could battery life be better on iPhone. All I see is a bunch of people who can't accept something superior to their iPhone. 
    Apple has never copied in their life.
  • Reply 73 of 121
    msantti said:
    donth8 said:
    Would you be saying this if Apple released a higher resolution screen tomorrow?
    Yes because that just makes no sense, when Apple released the iPad 3 with the retina display it had the exact same problem, that's why the iPad 4 was released shortly after and featured a way better GPU.
  • Reply 74 of 121
    msantti said:

Unless its Apple's.

Got it,

It's not faster if it can't sustain that performance. it's like a Tesla Model S. Smoking fast in 0-60 for a couple runs, but soon overheats and loses that performance. Makes for great advertising but it gets its ass handed to it on the track.
  • Reply 75 of 121
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    donth8 said:
    koop said:

I think Samsung have such a high PPI for the sake of use with the Gear VR.
    6Sgoldfish
  • Reply 76 of 121
    cnocbui said:
    donth8 said:
    I think Samsung have such a high PPI for the sake of use with the Gear VR.
    Can't wait to see what kind of performance the Gear VR gets after using it past 30 minutes if it has to run at 1440p. They always rush half baked technology just to say they were first to do it and how Apple is copying them. Apple is all about the experience, if some cool new feature is not ready for prime time they will not release it and risk getting backlash from their customers. Since too many android makers have to differentiate themselves from each other they just throw whatever at the wall and wait to see what sticks.
  • Reply 77 of 121
    donth8 said:
    koop said:

I could be wrong, but I don't believe mobile games that utilize 3D engines run at 1440p. Most of them run at 1080p or 720p. I think you're probably on the mark about masking pentile pixel arrangements  at least that was a large benefit of using these super high resolution displays.

I actually think that Samsung S7/Note 1440p panels looks objectively better than iPhone 6s Plus 1080p panel. So I think Samsung probably made a good trade off sacrificing some general performance for the display they have. That's just my opinion of course, and many, many people here share a different one.

• Reply 78 of 121
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    sog35 said:
    And the HTC one copied the original iPhone. Give me a break. iPhone is the creator of the modern smartphone and its design.

Superior than iPhone? Give me a break.  The iPhone has been the best selling phone for almost a decade despite having the highest price.  Apple will sell about 250 million iPhones this year. Samsung will be lucky to sell 25 million S7 phones. So if the S7 is superior and CHEAPER why the hell are 10x more people buying iPhones? LOL.
    Are you sure about the Samsung sales number?  I always got the impression from the press that the Galaxy Sx phones are strong iPhone competitor.  With sales like this how could the media say this?  
  • Reply 79 of 121
    koop said:
    donth8 said:
    I could be wrong, but I don't believe mobile games that utilize 3D engines run at 1440p. Most of them run at 1080p or 720p. I think you're probably on the mark about masking pentile pixel arrangements  at least that was a large benefit of using these super high resolution displays.

I actually think that Samsung S7/Note 1440p panels looks objectively better than iPhone 6s Plus 1080p panel. So I think Samsung probably made a good trade off sacrificing some general performance for the display they have. That's just my opinion of course, and many, many people here share a different one.

OLED screens do offer great battery savings, pure blacks and infinite contrast ratio among it's advantages. I think the burn in issue is a big one and also the fact that every pixel will eventually become yellow over time. The organic material used has a finite life. I am pretty sure thats why Apple is waiting on the technology the mature even more before migrating to it.
    radarthekat
  • Reply 80 of 121
    maxxe2maxxe2 Posts: 11member
    Thank you AppleInsider for an overview without sticking your own massively biased opinion into the article, unlike in those horrible "Opinion" articles. I see the S7 being improved from the S6 but lacking true innovation. Basically, this is what the S6 should have been from the very beginning. I agree with comments that say that this phone at most has only closed the gap - but with a phone at 50% of it's lifespan, or 75% of its lifespan if you consider iPhone 6 and 6S as one generation with a facelift. This is too bad, because even Apple needs good competition.