Investor survey suggests massive demand for AirPods, growth potential for Apple Watch

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 37
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Anyone who says these won't sell are media sheep.

Should Apple bring these back?

edited September 2016
  • Reply 22 of 37
    So this is why the stock was down over 1% today...
  • Reply 23 of 37
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,038member
    So this is why the stock was down over 1% today…
    It's inline with market today.
  • Reply 24 of 37
    sog35 said:
    but, but, but, but, no one wants Airpods.
    but, but, but, but, they look like ear wax hanging out.
    but, but, but, but, sound quality sucks.
    but, but, but, but, so rip off 
    but, but, but, but, you will lose them

LOL. Apple trolls are really running out of material. Fact is these will be HOT sellers. 

The most interesting thing is trolls may have helped Apple unintentionally. Listened to Gruber podcast he said much more people got curious about his AirPods than the original iPhone or original Apple Watch, because of all the trollings on internet I guess.
    I know for a fact that I got interested in iPhone because of all the hatred in Engadget comments, and I was someone who had never cared for Apple products before. 
    edited September 2016 watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 37
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,171member
    Out of interest I had a look on the Apple Australia store on ship dates for earstuff with a W1 chip
    Is this an inadvertent admission that w1 earstuff will be available from 17 October?

edited September 2016 watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 37
    sog35 said:
    flaneur said:
    I for one can't wait to get rid of the wires. 
    Me too! :)

Me Three!!

Ever since the Airpods were announced I've been cursing at my headphone wires everytime they pull out and cause problems.

Its going to be so awesome to go wireless:

1. No more messing with tangled wires. So irritating. 
    2. Ability to use 1 ear piece discreetly. I love listening to podcasts at work and now I can do it without wires and full hearing with my other ear
    3. Walk around the house/work without my phone on person!  Also great when I'm washing my car! No more wires! No more lugging my phone in my pocket
    4. No more pulled ear from wires

My only reservation is if these cause cancer. But IMO they are a very small risk. But I waited till Apple made them, because I know they have the best information on this type of stuff. If Tim Cook thinks they are safe then I'm okay
    Aye aye. Can't wait to get one. Just hope the situation won't be like last year's Pencil roll out when for almost a month there is just impossible to get one.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 37
    sog35 said:
    flaneur said:

Me Three!!

Ever since the Airpods were announced I've been cursing at my headphone wires everytime they pull out and cause problems.

2. Ability to use 1 ear piece discreetly. I love listening to podcasts at work and now I can do it without wires and full hearing with my other ear
    3. Walk around the house/work without my phone on person!  Also great when I'm washing my car! No more wires! No more lugging my phone in my pocket

My only reservation is if these cause cancer. But IMO they are a very small risk. But I waited till Apple made them, because I know they have the best information on this type of stuff. If Tim Cook thinks they are safe then I'm okay
    Aye aye. Can't wait to get one. Just hope the situation won't be like last year's Pencil roll out when for almost a month there is just impossible to get one.
  • Reply 28 of 37
    entropys said:
    Out of interest I had a look on the Apple Australia store on ship dates for earstuff with a W1 chip
    Is this an inadvertent admission that w1 earstuff will be available from 17 October?

Fellow Aussie. I finally decided to pull the trigger on iPhone 7+.

No iPhone7+ of any colour/storage configuration available until November through Telstra. I'll just have to wait.

4.7" iPhone7 available but not in Jet Black until November for my fiancee.

I really like the idea of these Airpods. W1 chip is shaping up to be something special, like everything else Apple does. They will have to wait too I guess.
  • Reply 29 of 37
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,364member
    sog35 said:
    macgui said:
    schlack said:
    what about the category of people who don't think their existing headphones are sufficient, are willing to spend significant $$ on headphones, but think the Apple AirPods have terrible ergonomics/design? I bet that's significant. Likely >12%.

The big thing will be the audio quality. For $160 I want them to sound good. Sounding as good as $29 EarPods won't cut it. 
    You are expecting the impossible my friend.  Its simple limitations of battery life (you do realize how small the battery in the Airpods are?) and the crazy small physical size of the airpods. 

If you are expecting sound quality as good as headphones that weight 10x more you are fooling yourself.
    I'd have to say you're the fool. I'm not sure how you came to misinterpret or mischaracterize my statements. For the moment I'll be generous and chalk it up to poor reading comprehension. 

If you are expecting sound quality as good as headphones that weight 10x more...

How far up your ass did you have your head to come to that conclusion? I implied nothing of the kind nor gave you any basis from which to make such a ridiculous inference. 

Do you realize you have had NO experience with the AirPods and I doubt you have either the training in electrical or audio engineering or are privy to Apple's designs to do any more than GUESS at their performance? Do you have some secret graph that purports to reveal the universal relationship between battery size and audio quality? I think not.

How much greater is the battery drain from Apple's $80 earbuds compared to their included EarPods? Can you tell me that in mAh or even just run times. Are they 10x the weight? I have a pair of Shure 535 earbuds that look to be only slightly larger, and sound fantastic. They are certainly not 10X times the weight without the cords. When I want great sound, I'll use the Shures. They're pricey and I wouldn't expect the AirPods to come anywhere near them in audio quality.

As I said, I want the AirBuds to sound better than the included earphones and your claim is- that's impossible. BS. That I have no right to expect better audio quality than the included EarPods. More BS.

It sounds as though you're already making an excuse for mediocre sound for a product you haven't even heard yet. I don't care why your or anyone else buys or doesn't buy these. If someone wants to pay the price solely for the convenience that's fine by me. Who am I to complain.

And if I choose to base my decision on audio quality, that's my choice. Don't try to manage my expectations when you clearly have no idea what they are.

Simply put, all the tech in the AirPods (and yes, I understand every nuance) is not worth $130 to me for $30 sound quality. Apple certainly can and may have made these sound better than EarPods. If that's the case, I'm in. If not, I'm not. 

More simply- it's the steak I want. Charge me over 5x more for extra sizzle, a nicer plate and the same steak? No thanks.
  • Reply 30 of 37
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,364member
    mac_128 said:

That is pretty freakin' funny.
    kudu
  • Reply 31 of 37
    sog35 said:
    flaneur said:

Me Three!!

Seriously? You've been actually cursing at your wires since the Airpod announcement? What is wrong with you?

• Reply 32 of 37
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    macgui said:
    mac_128 said:

That is pretty freakin' funny.
    That's what I thought. I like the concept of the AirPods and will likely get a pair at some point. I've never had a problem with the EarPods, though I don't really care for how the APs look -- I wish Apple had tried a little harder on the design.

i also like this parody ad from Conan too ... Even though I doubt there's going to be a huge problem with this for most people. But I can imagine maybe someone will make some silicon gels that slip over them to better grip the ear for a more secure feeling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_wImaGRkNY
  • Reply 33 of 37
    sog35 said:
    Soli said:
    sog35 said:

Still waiting for all those examples of true wireless headphones with better battery life than the airpods................ 

here are your exact words:

"There are plenty of others on the market which fare better than the examples you gave."
    Yes, those are my words, but your lack of reading comprehension is still letting you down, or do you not recall posting a shitload of other BT headphones with discreet ear pieces as examples of why AirPods have the best battery life bar none? Those were the examples to which I'm clearly referring—not AirPods, which aren't an example, but the subject of this thread. 

But if you want single-use battery life that exceeds AirPods, I'll be glad to point out a few that pass your myopic view of only looking at battery life since you're being an obnoxious dick.

Onkyo :: "up to 12 hours for music, 15 hours for talktime"

Altec Lansing ::"have a six-hour battery life"

AXGIO :: "8 hours talk or music playing time"

Kanoa :: "lasting up to six hours"
    Perhaps in the future you will try to use a little critical thinking to understand that 1) single use battery life isn't the only factor worth considering (which I previously mentioned in favor of AirPods with the W1 chip), and 2) that battery life can be affected by adding more size and weight, which on wireless headphones can make them less effective accessories, hence a need to balance all technical aspects for the best experience, not just focus on a single tech spec. If that's your philosophy, you need to go get yourself an Android phone and an Alienware PC.
    Dude, you need to do more research.

The Onkyo's have 12 hours......when using the charging case 4 times. The actually battery life of the earpods without the case is 3 hours. Plus they cost $300

The Altec Lansing's are absolutely horrible. Go read the reviews. Most say your phone has to be 5 feet at the farthest from you. And the sound constantly gets cut off. And the 6 hour battery life? Bull. More like 3 hours according to the reviews. They are so horrible you can't even find them online for purchase or anywhere.

Axgio also has fake battery life claim. It says up to 8 hours with 50% volume. LOL. So at full volume you get up to 4 hours, maybe. Most reviews on Amazon say 3 hours.  What you expect from a cheap POS China brand. Go read the reviews on Amazon. The only ones who actually said they last anywhere near 8 hours were given free headphones for their 'honest unbiased review'. Sure.

And finally the Kanoa. They won't be out till 2017. Ridiculous. People made deposits on these in 2015 and they STILL HAVE NOT COME OUT. Pretty sure these are vapor ware and will never see the light of day. Plus they cost $200, with no guarantee they actually come out.

Why do I know all this? Because I've been researching true wireless earbuds for a while. And all of them sucked. Crappy battery life.

And all those earbuds you linked are friken MASSIVE compared to the Airpods. They weigh at least double or triple. Plus none of them have confirmed 5+ hour battery life by a professional reviewer. None of them.

So my comment stands there is nothing for $159 that has better battery life and true wireless like the Airpods
    Holy fuck, you're full of shit. Just admit you made a ridiculous claim and only pulled the weakest competition for your examples. You've now changed the parameters of your original argument 3(?) times, made an unsubstantiated claim that the company is lying despite having no evidence, and then said another pair "doesn't count" because it's not yet on the market even thought AirPods are also not on the market.

If you're going to be a myopic fanboy who is incapable of being objective about technology, go right ahead, but at least keep your ignorant, inane rants to yourself.
    edited September 2016 singularity
  • Reply 34 of 37
    Soli said:
    Holy fuck, you're full of shit. Just admit you made a ridiculous claim and only pulled the weakest competition for your examples. You've now changed the parameters of your original argument 3(?) times, made an unsubstantiated claim that the company is lying despite having no evidence, and then said another pair "doesn't count" because it's not yet on the market even thought AirPods are also not on the market.

If you're going to be a myopic fanboy who is incapable of being objective about technology, go right ahead, but at least keep your ignorant, inane rants to yourself.
    Maybe he has gone overboard, but can you tell me why I might choose one of these others over the AirPods or the PowerBeats 3 in-ear with the W1?

Axgio: $59.99
    Long battery life
    Delivers up to 8 hours of playing time (at 50% of full volume)
    No charging case
    Is that normal? BT battery depends on volume? I've never seen that anywhere else.
    ----
    Onkyo: $299.99
    Playtime
    Up to 3 hours music/talk time
    Up to 40 hours standby time
    With charging case which allows for 5 recharges:
    - additional 15 hours music/talk time
    So kinda the same for an extra $100-140
    ----
    Altec Lansing: 149.99 (are these available yet? I can't find them, even their own site)
    They are quite big.
    Average Battery Life: UP TO 6 HOURS + 3 HOURS WITH CHARGING CASE
    They have a 2 minute video about pairing. It's like normal BT pairing but with another extra step for the right earphone, which may take another 45 seconds all by itself (per the video)
    ----
    Kanoa: preorder for Spring 2017 $199 for now, $300 list price

Earphones hold about 4 hours of playtime
    Case holds 4 extra charges per earphone
    Fully charged headphones in 1.5 hours
    Charge earphones to 80% in 40 minutes (so that's 3 hrs for 40 min)
    ----
    Apple: $159
    5 hrs playtime
    3 more hrs on 15 min charge
    ~4 extra full charges from case (24 hrs total)
    Automatic pairing setup
    ----
    Beats $199
    12 hrs playtime
    1 more hr on 5 min charge
    no case
    Auto pairing

For me, Kanoa and Onkyo are out from price, Lansing can't be bought (nor can Kanoa, actually), so Axgio is the only possible choice if I want something before Christmas which was my goal (or even Spring) besides the Apple/Beats ones. On the C/Net 11 other, only 1 matches the Apple price point, the Bragi ones ($140), which get 6 hrs and have no charging case.

I'm not quite sure how anyone has a competitive advantage over Apple, unless one of these has such a better sound quality that the average listener would notice. Can you point out where one of these may excel? I'm being quite genuine, I hope it cam across that way.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 37
    mrboba1 said:
    Soli said:

Maybe he has gone overboard, but can you tell me why I might choose one of these others over the AirPods or the PowerBeats 3 in-ear with the W1?

Axgio: $59.99
    Long battery life
    Delivers up to 8 hours of playing time (at 50% of full volume)
    No charging case
    Is that normal? BT battery depends on volume? I've never seen that anywhere else.
    ----
    Onkyo: $299.99
    Playtime
    Up to 3 hours music/talk time
    Up to 40 hours standby time
    With charging case which allows for 5 recharges:
    - additional 15 hours music/talk time
    So kinda the same for an extra $100-140
    ----
    Altec Lansing: 149.99 (are these available yet? I can't find them, even their own site)
    They are quite big.
    Average Battery Life: UP TO 6 HOURS + 3 HOURS WITH CHARGING CASE
    They have a 2 minute video about pairing. It's like normal BT pairing but with another extra step for the right earphone, which may take another 45 seconds all by itself (per the video)
    ----
    Kanoa: preorder for Spring 2017 $199 for now, $300 list price
    Earphones hold about 4 hours of playtime
    Case holds 4 extra charges per earphone
    Fully charged headphones in 1.5 hours
    Charge earphones to 80% in 40 minutes (so that's 3 hrs for 40 min)
    ----
    Apple: $159
    5 hrs playtime
    3 more hrs on 15 min charge
    ~4 extra full charges from case (24 hrs total)
    Automatic pairing setup
    ----
    Beats $199
    12 hrs playtime
    1 more hr on 5 min charge
    no case
    Auto pairing

For me, Kanoa and Onkyo are out from price, Lansing can't be bought (nor can Kanoa, actually), so Axgio is the only possible choice if I want something before Christmas which was my goal (or even Spring) besides the Apple/Beats ones. On the C/Net 11 other, only 1 matches the Apple price point, the Bragi ones ($140), which get 6 hrs and have no charging case.

I'm not quite sure how anyone has a competitive advantage over Apple, unless one of these has such a better sound quality that the average listener would notice. Can you point out where one of these may excel? I'm being quite genuine, I hope it cam across that way.

I never made any claim that AirPods aren't the best option, except for my comment about not being a fan of their EarPod design which is pushing me toward BeatsX in-earphone, which also will have the W1 chip. I also started that I will refrain from purchasing BeatsX until I can test AirPods since several reviews say they are more comfortable than EarPods (yet that was also said about EarPods over their previous earbuds).

I also made many arguments as to why AirPods beat every other wireless headphone option. I mentioned single use battery life in relation to size and weight (efficiency of W1), total use battery life with the charging case, ease of setup, intelligence with the built-in sensors to know when they are in use, a more competitor price for the technology due to economies of scale, even the design making the antenna bettter and pulling the weigh closer to the face and below the ear thereby resulting in a better design than the ones that jump everything into clump that sticks out from your ear, -

Sog simply pulled the weakest options and only compared battery life as the sole qualifition for his argument; that is, until I mentioned those many reasons as to why AirPods and headphones with the W1 chip have a major advantage in the market, then he latched onto my comments as his own.

As for your battery question, yes, absolutely. Just like with a display (which I seem to recall Apple measures at 70% max), the higher it is the more power it uses. There is no "BT battery," there is one battery for each earpiece that is used for the BT, the chipset, the DAC, amp, and all other HW. You'all see that I mentioned that Apple's design over others could allow for a better antenna that allows the BT radio to more effective will less of a power boost, but only time will tell.
    edited September 2016
  • Reply 36 of 37
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    I wonder how many of the respondents realise that there are no physical controls apart from invoking Siri.  That's a dealbreaker for me, I'm not using Siri to change the volume or skip tracks, I find the idea ludicrous.

Sticking with my BackBeats.  Pro for normal use, Fit for when exercising or it's particularly hot.

I actually prefer having the band between the phones anyway.  Means I have some where to hang them when I take them off to speak to someone.
    singularity