Samsung said to be following iPhone 7 by courageously omitting headphone jack in 'Galaxy S8'

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 53

seankill said:
    Anyone else wonder if Apple will make the switch to USB-C for the 2017 iPhone? It only makes sense to help consolidate Apple's ports.   
    Lightning is probably better technology than USB-C, but Betamax was better than VHS. I'm going wireless to avoid having expensive orphaned headphones or adapters. 

Mmm... Isn't USB-C faster and more flexible in connecting/adapting to other interfaces like Thunderbolt, HDMI, etc?

There was some geopolitical pressure from the EU a while back to require all smart phones to use a common charging/data interface -- AIR, MicroUSB was the proposed standard.

If the above are true, it would seem that USB-C is best solution available... And it would be to Apple's benefit to implement it on all their devices.

gatorguybaconstangavon b7
  • Reply 42 of 53
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

seankill said:
    Anyone else wonder if Apple will make the switch to USB-C for the 2017 iPhone? It only makes sense to help consolidate Apple's ports.   
    Lightning is probably better technology than USB-C, but Betamax was better than VHS. I'm going wireless to avoid having expensive orphaned headphones or adapters. 

Mmm... Isn't USB-C faster and more flexible in connecting/adapting to other interfaces like Thunderbolt, HDMI, etc?

There was some geopolitical pressure from the EU a while back to require all smart phones to use a common charging/data interface -- AIR, MicroUSB was the proposed standard.

If the above are true, it would seem that USB-C is best solution available... And it would be to Apple's benefit to implement it on all their devices.

I agree with you. Seems sensible enough from both a business and consumer perspective.
    edited December 2016
  • Reply 43 of 53
    baconstangbaconstang Posts: 1,108member
    wood1208 said:
    airnerd said:
    So how long will it be before fAndroids start claiming iPhone didn't phase the 3.5 out first?
    Well, in fact Apple was not the first. Apple was the first major OEM to get rid of the jack but they were not the first phone.
    Apple was the first one who got rid of 3.5mm jack all together from their phone lines. Other(android) phone manufacturers, removed on one or two from their lineup. than couple of them even went back adding 3.5mm jack in next update.
    The 6s & SE still have the 3.5mm jack...
    And, of course, all the iPods.
    Oh yeah, plus all the Macs.
    edited December 2016 Macsplosionsingularity
  • Reply 44 of 53
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    Isn't this just an example of the race to the bottom? I mean, if Apple can drop that connector without suffering actual consequences other than some media backlash, then so can every other maker of such devices. It's cheaper to leave out a part, even if it's a cheap part. The question is, how long will adapters come with the devices? Will Apple provide a 3.5mm adapter in the NEXT iPhone package? Probably not. Samsung doesn't even need to include one on the first go, since their phone comes after someone else initiated the third-party adapter rush.
  • Reply 45 of 53
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    dysamoria said:
    Isn't this just an example of the race to the bottom? I mean, if Apple can drop that connector without suffering actual consequences other than some media backlash, then so can every other maker of such devices. It's cheaper to leave out a part, even if it's a cheap part. The question is, how long will adapters come with the devices? Will Apple provide a 3.5mm adapter in the NEXT iPhone package? Probably not. Samsung doesn't even need to include one on the first go, since their phone comes after someone else initiated the third-party adapter rush.
    iPhone update cycles are typically every 2 years for the average user, so I wouldn't be surprised if they do the adapter for another year, but I also wouldn't be surprised if they drop it.

Samsung et al. have less reason to include an adapter and will have less backlash, because they are moving to USB-C. Unlike Lightning, a move from the antiquated 3.5mm jack to USB-C is at least a move to a standard that is available to every smartphone maker. While I'm glad Apple finally made what I believe is a long overdue move, their use of a proprietary port from a common port is a negative. That isn't to say that Apple should abandon Lightning for USB-C as that would be disastrous, just that from an objective standpoint it does make wired headphone buying slightly more complicated or limiting for an Apple user or potential Apple user, even if the pros far outweighs the cons. It's like saying that adding an election to an element increases its mass, but we know the mass is so slight that it's foolish to worry about it being too heavy to lift.
  • Reply 46 of 53
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    tzeshan said:
    macxpress said:
    Rayz2016 said:

seankill said:
    Not sure. I'm thinking that for the iPhone they'll keep the lightning port until the have no ports at all. Lightning allows them to detect when a dodgy cable has been used to charge the phone. I'm not 100% sure if they'd get away with that with USB-C. 
    I wouldn't be surprised if a completely wirelessly phone doesn't come soon. The only real sticking point now is charging. As soon as Apple gets wireless charging down to where it works good, is reliable and just as fast as plugging in (if not faster) I don't see any reason why Apple needs to keep the lightning jack. There are other ways today to get your content to and from your phone and anything missing will either be oh well, or Apple will have a solution for you. And once Apple does this and takes the initial hit for doing so it won't be long before others follows suit. 
    Does wireless charging work when the phone is powered off?  If not, how can you get rid off physical charging? 

No reason it shouldn't. Induction doesn't need an active "listener" to "receive" a current.

Solicornchip
  • Reply 47 of 53
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,337member
    airnerd said:
    So how long will it be before fAndroids start claiming iPhone didn't phase the 3.5 out first?
    Well, in fact Apple was not the first. Apple was the first major OEM to get rid of the jack but they were not the first phone.
    Wasn't it the Moto Z earlier this year ?
  • Reply 48 of 53
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    dysamoria said:
    No race to the bottom as Apple provides alternative connections (Lightning and Bluetooth). Sammy can't use Apple's adapters as they have different connections. 

It's moving on from older technology. Was it race to the bottom when Apple excluded the floppy drive or cd/dvd rom drive?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 49 of 53
    seankill said:
    As much as I wish they would, I seriously doubt it. The Lightning connector allows Apple to keep MFi suppliers on a short, tight, leash. Using a non-proprietary connector would make it possible for any schlub to produce sub-standard iDevice accessories.
    Solicornchip
  • Reply 50 of 53

jbdragon said:
    adrayven said:
    Don't miss the 3.5mm jack in the least. heh.
    I've never used the headphone port on my iPhone 6 which I've had for 2+ years now. Before that on my iPhone 4 that I had for 4+ years, I only used wired headphones for the first couple years. So really it's been 4+ years since I've used wired headphones. I just can't stand the dangling wire. These days you can get Bluetooth headsets from Amazon for around $20.

That's great! It's good to know that wireless is a viable alternative.

Of course, it isn't necessary to remove the headphone jack to enjoy the benefits of wireless. Like you said, you were using wireless even with the iPhone 4, and it still had a headphone jack.

I have nothing against wireless headphones. I just don't see them as a reason for "needing" to remove the headphone jack. It will be kind of a nuisance to not be able to connect my next iPhone to the myriad places I do now (the console at work, aux jacks in cars, etc.) like I do now unless I happen to be carrying the adapter in my pocket. It's not the end of the world, but it is an unwelcome nuisance.

Audio outputs are used for more than just headphones. Most of those uses are not going to be wireless, and certainly are not going to be "takes two seconds to quickly play something on a whim" simple to use. Like I jump into your car or show up at your house and want to play you a bit of Greg and Scott's new song. Instead of "Hey, that sounds good!" it'll be "How do I beam this to... um, oh never mind..." Like I said, I won't die or lose a toe over it, but my life will be somewhat less media social as a result.
    pscooter63
  • Reply 51 of 53
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,950member
    This can't really come as a surprise to anyone, can it?
  • Reply 52 of 53
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    cornchip said:
    This can't really come as a surprise to anyone, can it?
    Except it's probably not true. More recent "leaks" suggest the headphone jack will be there afterall.