Apple yanks watchOS 3.1.1 update following user complaints

Comments

• Reply 21 of 53
    Restart your phone?
  • Reply 22 of 53
    Last time when I upgraded from iOS 10.0.3 to iOS 10.1 on my iPhone 7 (Verizon 128MB model with AT&T SIM), I lost 40% of download throughout. I was fortunate enough that Apple was still signing iOS 10.0.3, so I was able to downgrade back to iOS 10.0.3 and restore my original download throughput. 

When i was testing download throughout, I was comparing iPhone 7 to iPhone 6s Plus (which was still on iOS 10.0.2 and also on AT&T) and the phones were next to each other in my living room. I saw a dramatic loss of download throughout on iPhone 7 with iOS 10.1, the loss was consistent and occurred for two straight days until I downgraded back to 10.0.3 on iPhone 7. At the same time, iPhone 6s Plus was consistently getting the same throughput as it always did from the same location in my living room. 

Now that Apple is no longer signing iOS 10.0.3, I'm afraid to upgrade from iOS 10.0.3 to iOS 10.2. If I do upgrade and see the same dramatic loss of download throughout on my iPhone 7 as I saw with iOS 10.1, what are my options? Can I call Apple support and have them on the phone before I start the upgrade? And if the download throughput suffers a dramatic drop after the upgrade, can I get them to ship me a replacement phone with iOS 10.0.3?

These are my concerns in the post-Steve era. I've lost trust in Apple's software quality. 
    edited December 2016
  • Reply 23 of 53
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member
    This doesn't happen on Android.
    (I'm talking about updates).
    lenachiawatto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 53
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,302member
    What's the rush?  Simply wait 24 hours before installing any new update.
    freshmaker
  • Reply 25 of 53
    My Apple Watch Series 0 updated without incident.
    Apparently this is just impacting Series 2.
  • Reply 26 of 53
    twa440 said:
    I can't recall any products being bricked when Steve was around but, maybe so. I know I've never seen six updates in two years that caused products to be bricked.
    There was one early update to OS X 10.0 that deleted the entire hard drive of anyone who'd named it with a leading space (a common "trick", back in the day). That wasn't exactly bricking (you could boot off CD) but it didn't do much for your data.

elijahg
  • Reply 27 of 53
    Interesting. 

No no issues here. 

But Apple is wise to pull the update for review to be on the safe side. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 53
    jrg_uk said:
    twa440 said:
    I can't recall any products being bricked when Steve was around but, maybe so. I know I've never seen six updates in two years that caused products to be bricked.
    There was one early update to OS X 10.0 that deleted the entire hard drive of anyone who'd named it with a leading space (a common "trick", back in the day). That wasn't exactly bricking (you could boot off CD) but it didn't do much for your data.

That was an EXTERNAL drive. Correct? I remember it. And it was specifically over a FireWire connection?

that was a crazy Jobs era mistake. But it was also rare. 

MS and Google have had more than their share of errors and Samsung doesn't even need introduction here. So, the lesson is, if it's man-made, it has potential for error. 

It it does help though, that Apple spends an inordinate amount of effort in reducing that potential. 

The company deserves props props rather than criticism for how good they usually are. And they are also extremely good at fixing errors and helping those who are affected. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 53
    aknabiaknabi Posts: 211member
    lkrupp said:
    Trust gone. Goodwill revoked. Wallet less loose. 
    Have fun with your Samsung Gear then.
    What a ridiculous response. Just because the choice is viewed by the poster as being between something not top-tier and something second-tier, he should opt for the latter because he's unhappy the former I s not top-tier like it used to be?

How lame. Hold Apple to higher standards. It's not like they're not capable of it. You really want to settle for Apple being mediocre because the competition is crap?
    That and the "I don't have any problem... you're in some screwed up universe".... No we're in the same one and some have problems. Even if you need Apple to do well for your retirement portfolio, you should still be up in arms about these slips... a major part of their premium brand value is quality
    edited December 2016
  • Reply 30 of 53
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,564member
    grangerfx said:
    Sure OK but here is the thing: Apple has yanked a LOT of updates lately for this exact reason. It points to a systemic problem in their quality control and testing. Apple may need to go to a slow rollout rather than an all at once update system. They are just not good enough to make that kind of update reliable.
    Yeah, that iTunes update that completely wiped all attached external drives with a "space" character in their name was really the last straw. 

Back in 2001.

http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/OSX/itunes2_erased_drives.html
  • Reply 31 of 53
    sirozha said:
    Last time when I upgraded from iOS 10.0.3 to iOS 10.1 on my iPhone 7 (Verizon 128MB model with AT&T SIM), I lost 40% of download throughout. I was fortunate enough that Apple was still signing iOS 10.0.3, so I was able to downgrade back to iOS 10.0.3 and restore my original download throughput. 

When i was testing download throughout, I was comparing iPhone 7 to iPhone 6s Plus (which was still on iOS 10.0.2 and also on AT&T) and the phones were next to each other in my living room. I saw a dramatic loss of download throughout on iPhone 7 with iOS 10.1, the loss was consistent and occurred for two straight days until I downgraded back to 10.0.3 on iPhone 7. At the same time, iPhone 6s Plus was consistently getting the same throughput as it always did from the same location in my living room. 

Now that Apple is no longer signing iOS 10.0.3, I'm afraid to upgrade from iOS 10.0.3 to iOS 10.2. If I do upgrade and see the same dramatic loss of download throughout on my iPhone 7 as I saw with iOS 10.1, what are my options? Can I call Apple support and have them on the phone before I start the upgrade? And if the download throughput suffers a dramatic drop after the upgrade, can I get them to ship me a replacement phone with iOS 10.0.3?

These are my concerns in the post-Steve era. I've lost trust in Apple's software quality. 

Were ya around for the "Steve era"?

http://www.iphonefaq.org/archives/97665?page=1

Perspective, folks. 

• Reply 32 of 53
    aknabi said:
    lkrupp said:
    Trust gone. Goodwill revoked. Wallet less loose. 
    Have fun with your Samsung Gear then.
    What a ridiculous response. Just because the choice is viewed by the poster as being between something not top-tier and something second-tier, he should opt for the latter because he's unhappy the former I s not top-tier like it used to be?

How lame. Hold Apple to higher standards. It's not like they're not capable of it. You really want to settle for Apple being mediocre because the competition is crap?
    That and the "I don't have any problem... you're in some screwed up universe".... No we're in the same one and some have problems. Even if you need Apple to do well for your retirement portfolio, you should still be up in arms about these slips... a major part of their premium brand value is quality

The only thing drifting here is your memory.

http://www.toptechnews.com/article/index.php?story_id=023001BYC3TC

https://www.google.ca/amp/appleinsider.com/articles/09/10/12/snow_leopard_guest_account_bug_deletes_user_data/amp/?client=safari

I can post more from the Steve Jobs archives. Let me know.
    edited December 2016 StrangeDayspatchythepirate
  • Reply 33 of 53
    My Apple Watch Series 0 updated without incident.
    ... And mine too.

While I'm glad to hear Apple is standing behind their product and its update, I hope they use this as a learning experience and improve their quality control.   While I am always leery of Microsoft updates I have never been worried about Apple updates.  Maybe I should start?   One of the chief advantages of having a closed system & environment is the ability to change and update it with high quality and success rates.   Too me, a single failure is too many.
  • Reply 34 of 53
    bluefire1 said:
    What's the rush?  Simply wait 24 hours before installing any new update.
    Exactly!  Never ever upgrade immediately.  I always wait a day or two and avoid crap like this.
  • Reply 35 of 53
    plankton said:
    macOSx and iOS have fairy large external seed and public beta test teams who do report hundreds of bugs during the OS development cycle. Even so a few bugs still get through, which is the nature of software.
    tvOS and watchOS have no such external seed and beta test teams—there is only internal testing and a little testing by people with developer accounts.  Consequently, it is not surprising there are a few more problems with tvOS and watchOS. The problem will be fixed but that is little consolation for those who got bit this time.
    No, that's the nature of crappy software and crappy quality.   Don't use Microsoft as a standard.
  • Reply 36 of 53
    doggone said:
    Hey.  I have 3.1.1 queued up to install on my phone.  If I charge my watch tonight it will update.  I can't find a way to disable or remove the update on the phone?  Anyone got any ideas.  I may put the watch in airplane mode whilst charging.
    Power down the phone overnight while the watch charges?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 53
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    sirozha said:

Nice rant. So, is your grand plan to stay on 10.03 forever? You want to waste Apple support's time by making them wait on the phone WHILE you upgrade (which can sometimes take 1/2hr+) and then ship you another, downgraded phone if its not to your liking? That sounds rational. I haven't had this issue, nobody I know has had this issue, and out of the millions and millions and millions of iPhone 7s sold, I haven't heard of this issue. But hey, let's chalk this up to "post-Steve era" instead of what is most likely a problem with you specific phone, or your wifi setup. Because, that's more trollish. There isn't a shred of quantifiable evidence that Apple software quality has gone down in any way after Steve- the opposite is true. But, if you haven't noticed, the userbase has increased exponentially, people are much larger whiners and attention seekers, (ie. every bug is made into a dramatic video by attention-seeking youtubers, with hundreds of thousands or millions of subscribers, which are then shared on a shitload of social media networks, and picked up by blogs who need the clickbait). There were MORE issues and bugs in the Steve era, but these weren't pounced upon and exploited in such a cynical fashion in order to shit on Apple. And yet, we have gullible, intellectually lazy people like you that buy into the whole "Post SJ" narrative in the face of these facts and differences. 
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 38 of 53
    spheric said:
    grangerfx said:
    Sure OK but here is the thing: Apple has yanked a LOT of updates lately for this exact reason. It points to a systemic problem in their quality control and testing. Apple may need to go to a slow rollout rather than an all at once update system. They are just not good enough to make that kind of update reliable.
    Yeah, that iTunes update that completely wiped all attached external drives with a "space" character in their name was really the last straw. 

Back in 2001.

http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/OSX/itunes2_erased_drives.html
    Yeah I'm sure that really matters to Series 2 owners who had their device bricked. A real fan of the company should have the highest expectations and honestly is it really expecting that much to assume when you update software it won't brick your device?  
  • Reply 39 of 53

plankton said:
    macOSx and iOS have fairy large external seed and public beta test teams who do report hundreds of bugs during the OS development cycle. Even so a few bugs still get through, which is the nature of software.
    tvOS and watchOS have no such external seed and beta test teams—there is only internal testing and a little testing by people with developer accounts.  Consequently, it is not surprising there are a few more problems with tvOS and watchOS. The problem will be fixed but that is little consolation for those who got bit this time.
    No, that's the nature of crappy software and crappy quality.   Don't use Microsoft as a standard.
    One good thing of the 10.2 update is because of the software bug in the TV app I found a really good 3rd party video player. So the TV app has be relegated to a junk folder. Maybe one day Apple will realize not every iOS device owner buys their media on iTunes or subscribes to Apple Music.
  • Reply 40 of 53
    luism1023luism1023 Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    Im mad they took of the lock button of the contro center.