Verizon to redirect calls in last-ditch effort to deter Samsung Galaxy Note 7 users

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 32
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Why on earth would someone still want to use the Note 7? 
    People always believe it will happen to "them"
    not "us". 
    anomewatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 32
    Soli said:
    bunce82 said:
    From what I have read on forums many users are still waiting for their promised alternative devices and a general slowness of the networks to provide non-Samsung alternatives. As some users traded in their old phones and can't afford a new phone, or to be without a phone while their refund processes has led them to hang onto their device. To me it sounds a bit fishy/lazy - why can't these users switch to a temporary phone, and which service providers wouldn't offer this considering the circumstances.
    There is not a suitable replacement on the market yet. Many people including myself burned an upgrade when we purchased the note 7. So, as in my case why would I pay full retail for a device that is a year old? And a $100 credit from sammy just doesn't cut it. I have another device to go back to. Many don't, and many don't want a year old phone. As with Apple customers, we are fiercely to Samsung. Anything short of the note 7 is a downgrade. I wouldn't expect Apple fan boys to understand the loss of features such as spen, Samsung pay, iris scanner, camera, expandable storage, and edge functionality and be happy downgrading. Even to pick up a year old note 5, by the time it's paid off now you have a 3 year old device. Sammy screwed the pooch on this one, and instead of leaving customers in a bad spot they should shift the liability to them if they want to hold out and wait for a viable alternative. 
    It's not that I wouldn't understand brand loyalty...I don't understand brand loyalty to a brand that apparently isn't loyal to you.  They effed up royally and are leaving you all twisting in the wind.

It's not a company worthy of your devotion.
    No brand is loyal to you. No company is worth your devotion.
    In a sense, I understand that.  But there are companies that see the big picture and take care of the customers now, even at tremendous cost and trouble, because they know it will pay off down the road.  They have earned some trust and brand loyalty because of that focus on making their customers happy.  But Samsung is demonstrating they aren't one of those companies.  So when someone says they are "fiercely loyal to Samsung," my immediate question in the aftermath of this is....."why?"
    jroyradarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 32
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,731member
    I just can't begin to imagine what the news headlines would be about Apple had this been an iPhone.  Yet all I see are glowing articles of the next Samsung model.  The screw up in the first place and the financial disaster seem to have rolled off Samsung's back.
    radarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 32
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Can't blame them. The Sammy phone is "packed with innovation"!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 32
    Am I the only one who finds it astonishing that a consumer can buy a device, and that the law allows a third party, or even the seller, to force relinquishment of that personal property?  It matters not why the consumer wants to keep his Note7, it belongs to him!  Using it does not damage the cellular network, so how dare the service provider transmit "poison software" and refuse to properly route calls to the buyer! This seems to me to be a huge trampling on civil rights.
    Kevin33
  • Reply 26 of 32
    retrogustoretrogusto Posts: 1,117member
    Am I the only one who finds it astonishing that a consumer can buy a device, and that the law allows a third party, or even the seller, to force relinquishment of that personal property?  It matters not why the consumer wants to keep his Note7, it belongs to him!  Using it does not damage the cellular network, so how dare the service provider transmit "poison software" and refuse to properly route calls to the buyer! This seems to me to be a huge trampling on civil rights.
    It's a danger to others. I wouldn't want to be on a transatlantic flight with somebody carrying one of these. 

If what they bought was what Samsung thought it was selling and what they thought they were getting, I'd agree with you, but it would have been illegal to sell this device if everyone had known then what we know now. 

In our society, you don't have the right to knowingly put others in danger of bodily harm or death without their consent. This is more important than the right to hang on to a crappy gadget. For most people, this is common sense, but some people lack this basic judgment. 
    icoco3watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 32
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    I agree with this comment in general, however the phone is a public nuisance. Why should we as taxpayers pay for emergency services when the phone user catches their house or car on fire or worse a public facility or transportation service that could be fatal to the general public. Perhaps Verizon is just being proactive to not be named a party in a criminal or civil lawsuit.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 32
    And then there was me. I'm one of the idiots so many of you are talking about. I have Verizon and I have the Note 7 actually 2 of them, one for each line on my account. I'm typing this from my Note 7.
      Now here's the reason why. When the phone was launched I preordered them from Verizon. First new phone I'd had in years. I had an iPhone 4 until the Note 7. Well Verizon got the wrong color in but the rep was nice and told me it would be days before they could get the phones in I wanted. Then he said he had called Best Buy across the street for me and they were holding two of them. I thanked him and we went across the street to get them. I didn't want a higher monthly bill so I paid the full amount for both phones.This is the issue why I still have the phones.
      It was a lot but it was a one time time purchase. A week after that my phone shorted out my car while plugged in. I called and filled an insurance claim and got another Note 7. At this point there were many misconceptions about certain serial numbers and other things causing this, as stated "We must of had the phones from a bad batch". Verizon would refund me a bill credit for the insurance claim on my bill. So I replaced the second one also. They arrived and we activated them. We gave the other two back to Verizon. The next day the 1st recall came out. We waited and the replacements came; we switched them at the Verizon corporate store. Well then the second recall and discontinuation came.
      We tried to return them to Verizon. They said no they only exchanged them, we bought them at Best Buy so we would need to go there. Verizon would let us surrender the phones but give us zero credit. So we went to Best Buy. They can't return them there either. The numbers don't match what we bought there because we had swapped them out. So we called Asurion, the insurance company, and were told it was cancelled out through Verizon they can't give any money back. So we called Samsung and set up a case and have waited and waited. Finally we were called back after Christmas and told that after investigating the matter. We would have to take it to Verizon. Still fighting with Verizon and Samsung. I'm not giving away $850 per phone to Verizon / Samsung for shits and giggles. So until someone will let me return them and give me the money back iI'ven some form, I've been using my phone. I'm fine with even a Verizon gift card for the amount. I'll go back to my old phone and wait till this fall to use the gift cards to purchase 2 of the new phones that came out. No one will work with me. Unfortunately I didn't use a credit card to purchase the phones or I would've filled a dispute. Now you all know why at least two of the Note 7's are still being used. 
    badmonkanome
  • Reply 29 of 32
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    Soli said:
    Mind bogged..isnt it... 
    They'd rather risk it blowing up in their face over being seen with last year's model. No wonder their resale values are low. If Apple had a recall on the iPhone 7 Plus, I'd be fine going back to the iPhone 6 Plus instead of risk or death and personal damage, especially when we're at a point for foolish Samsung users that also makes me culpable if something happens.

If Apple had a recall on the iPhone 7 Plus, they'd have probably fixed the problem. I don't just say that as a fanboy, but because of Apple's culture. They have so much tied up in their product branding, they couldn't afford to have an entire line get pulled, and wait until September for the new one. It might have meant a slight modification to the case, or (more likely) modification to the internals, but they would have an iPhone 7 Plus+ (or Doubleplusgood) out as quickly as possible.

Of course, this would be met with accusations that Apple have lost the plot, they're on a death spiral, Steve would never have allowed this, and so on ad infinitum.

Nevertheless, this is all speculative, since they didn't have any problems with the 7 Plus, and haven't had to recall it. The fact they haven't had anything like this happen is also down to their culture, and more importantly the control they have over the manufacturing process. I don't see a way this problem could have happened to an iPhone (or most other smartphones, really) without multiple failures in manufacturing and quality assurance.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 32
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,038member
    anome said:
    The fact they haven't had anything like this happen is also down to their culture, and more importantly the control they have over the manufacturing process.
    I've never seen this anything like this happen to any other CE maker.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 32
    The device is unsafe.  It could catch fire in a car while the person is driving, on a bus or subway, on a plane if he sneaks it onboard, or burn his house down in the middle of the evening.  So, no, it is not a trampling of anyone's civil rights.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 32
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    Kevin33 said:
    And then there was me. I'm one of the idiots so many of you are talking about. I have Verizon and I have the Note 7 actually 2 of them, one for each line on my account. I'm typing this from my Note 7.
      Now here's the reason why. When the phone was launched I preordered them from Verizon. First new phone I'd had in years. I had an iPhone 4 until the Note 7. Well Verizon got the wrong color in but the rep was nice and told me it would be days before they could get the phones in I wanted. Then he said he had called Best Buy across the street for me and they were holding two of them. I thanked him and we went across the street to get them. I didn't want a higher monthly bill so I paid the full amount for both phones.This is the issue why I still have the phones.
      It was a lot but it was a one time time purchase. A week after that my phone shorted out my car while plugged in. I called and filled an insurance claim and got another Note 7. At this point there were many misconceptions about certain serial numbers and other things causing this, as stated "We must of had the phones from a bad batch". Verizon would refund me a bill credit for the insurance claim on my bill. So I replaced the second one also. They arrived and we activated them. We gave the other two back to Verizon. The next day the 1st recall came out. We waited and the replacements came; we switched them at the Verizon corporate store. Well then the second recall and discontinuation came.
      We tried to return them to Verizon. They said no they only exchanged them, we bought them at Best Buy so we would need to go there. Verizon would let us surrender the phones but give us zero credit. So we went to Best Buy. They can't return them there either. The numbers don't match what we bought there because we had swapped them out. So we called Asurion, the insurance company, and were told it was cancelled out through Verizon they can't give any money back. So we called Samsung and set up a case and have waited and waited. Finally we were called back after Christmas and told that after investigating the matter. We would have to take it to Verizon. Still fighting with Verizon and Samsung. I'm not giving away $850 per phone to Verizon / Samsung for shits and giggles. So until someone will let me return them and give me the money back iI'ven some form, I've been using my phone. I'm fine with even a Verizon gift card for the amount. I'll go back to my old phone and wait till this fall to use the gift cards to purchase 2 of the new phones that came out. No one will work with me. Unfortunately I didn't use a credit card to purchase the phones or I would've filled a dispute. Now you all know why at least two of the Note 7's are still being used. 

That's a specific example I hadn't thought of, but it makes sense. It's easy for the rest of us to make jokes about it, but some people really do get screwed over by things like this, and don't have many options. One of Verizon or Samsung *should* have sorted this out for you, but I can't say I'm terribly surprised they haven't.

Soli said:
    anome said:
    The fact they haven't had anything like this happen is also down to their culture, and more importantly the control they have over the manufacturing process.
    I've never seen this anything like this happen to any other CE maker.
    A lot of CE makers exert similar control, and even  have a similar corporate culture. Samsung is a bit of an outlier, since their corporate culture seems to be anti-customer/pro-corporate in ways other companies aren't.
    watto_cobra