New supply chain reports lend weight to 'wraparound' 5.8-inch 'iPhone 8' with embedded sen...

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 25
    adm1 said:
    "wrap around screen" - can't think what benefit this brings at all. I've tried a colleague's galaxy edge and didn't "get it" at all.
    "bezel-less" - again, for what benefit, the side bezel is hardly gargantuan. If it went right to the edges your palm/fingers would obstruct some of the readable screen when holding it.
    "facial recognition" - for what purpose, apple does things to better the end user experience. If it's to unlock a device then that's not more intuitive nor quicker than simply holding your thumb on the homebutton or raising to wake which it already does.
    "gesture recognition" - can't see any benefit in a phone, it's already in your hand why wave your other hand to do things when you can already tap the screen with that same hand

the other two mentioned;
    "wireless charging" - to be useful it has to be better than current form which is not really wireless at all.
    "TouchID in the screen" - I can envisage being useful for detecting who is using the phone at any time / security in general, but the tech barely seems ready for 2018 let alone a 2017 iPhone.
    I always laugh at that term, facial recognition. The ability to detect that a person has recently been to a spa. 😂

Spa? At least you have a much cleaner mind than I do....
  • Reply 22 of 25
    misamisa Posts: 827member
    wood1208 said:
    Three(5.8,5.5,4.7) larger iPhones in 2017. This makes iphone SE+ release in 2018 with trickle down iPhone 7 components. Looks like Apple covered most wanted sizes in smartphones.
    There's only two sizes people want.

The 4.7 and the 5.5. This is similar with the DSi/3DS, there IS a market for a larger device, but it's for older/bigger people who can't deal with the smaller UI elements. That's it. Some people prefer that larger size. I'm not one of them. I would rather have something that fits in a pocket, which the smaller iPhone and 3DS can do, but the larger phablet designs do not. Also people using tablet-sized phones look absolutely silly using them.
  • Reply 23 of 25
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    adm1 said:
    "wrap around screen" - can't think what benefit this brings at all. I've tried a colleague's galaxy edge and didn't "get it" at all.
    "bezel-less" - again, for what benefit, the side bezel is hardly gargantuan. If it went right to the edges your palm/fingers would obstruct some of the readable screen when holding it.
    "facial recognition" - for what purpose, apple does things to better the end user experience. If it's to unlock a device then that's not more intuitive nor quicker than simply holding your thumb on the homebutton or raising to wake which it already does.
    "gesture recognition" - can't see any benefit in a phone, it's already in your hand why wave your other hand to do things when you can already tap the screen with that same hand

the other two mentioned;
    "wireless charging" - to be useful it has to be better than current form which is not really wireless at all.
    "TouchID in the screen" - I can envisage being useful for detecting who is using the phone at any time / security in general, but the tech barely seems ready for 2018 let alone a 2017 iPhone.
    I always laugh at that term, facial recognition. The ability to detect that a person has recently been to a spa. 😂
    Yeah, I was worried where you were going with that. 
  • Reply 24 of 25
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    misa said:
    wood1208 said:
    Three(5.8,5.5,4.7) larger iPhones in 2017. This makes iphone SE+ release in 2018 with trickle down iPhone 7 components. Looks like Apple covered most wanted sizes in smartphones.
    There's only two sizes people want.

The 4.7 and the 5.5. This is similar with the DSi/3DS, there IS a market for a larger device, but it's for older/bigger people who can't deal with the smaller UI elements. That's it. Some people prefer that larger size. I'm not one of them. I would rather have something that fits in a pocket, which the smaller iPhone and 3DS can do, but the larger phablet designs do not. Also people using tablet-sized phones look absolutely silly using them.
    Seems unbelievable but market research has shown that women tend to buy phablets, so hardly matching the claim that they're only for old, big people. There's also many usability advantages to larger screen smartphones. 
    http://www.phonearena.com/news/Big-phone-or-small-phone-8-reasons-to-convince-you-in-the-superiority-of-large-phones_id77450