Apple removes iCloud Activation Lock status tool from website

Comments

• Reply 21 of 54
    Johan.GJohan.G Posts: 11unconfirmed, member
    gatorguy said:
    Johan.G said:
    Johan.G said:
    This move makes sense, since you can no longer wipe an iDevice without logging out of Find My iPhone first. 
    New credo is "if it's not wiped, don't buy it".
    How exactly does this work? Last week I got locked out of my phone because it didn't like my passcode for whatever reason (I know I was entering the right one). Apple support had me use iCloud.com to erase my phone so I could set up a new passcode. When you do that does it automatically log you out of find my iPhone?
    No, it doesn't automatically log you out. We're talking about buying a second-hand iPhone, aren't we? When you do:
    Hold the device, confirm it's wiped, try to activate it … either you can or you'll see the activation lock. 

I can't really think of a way to get duped when buying in person (as opposed to online).
    That's assuming others are even aware of that and most would not be. It's been common knowledge for some time to use Apple's Activation Lock Status page before buying used phones either in person or via eBay. That's the advice you'll find over and over on the web. What you've mentioned is not what used iPhone buyers are accustomed to looking for so it will take some time to get that word out. 
    I'm sympathetic to The Page having been advised, but not to buying a lockable expensive device off eBay. Too many ways to set yourself up for a big bag o' hurt. 
    Get that word out? Yes, absolutely. 
  • Reply 22 of 54
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Johan.G said:
    gatorguy said:
    Johan.G said:
    Johan.G said:
    This move makes sense, since you can no longer wipe an iDevice without logging out of Find My iPhone first. 
    How exactly does this work? Last week I got locked out of my phone because it didn't like my passcode for whatever reason (I know I was entering the right one). Apple support had me use iCloud.com to erase my phone so I could set up a new passcode. When you do that does it automatically log you out of find my iPhone?
    No, it doesn't automatically log you out. We're talking about buying a second-hand iPhone, aren't we? When you do:
    Hold the device, confirm it's wiped, try to activate it … either you can or you'll see the activation lock. 

I can't really think of a way to get duped when buying in person (as opposed to online).
    That's assuming others are even aware of that and most would not be. It's been common knowledge for some time to use Apple's Activation Lock Status page before buying used phones either in person or via eBay. That's the advice you'll find over and over on the web. What you've mentioned is not what used iPhone buyers are accustomed to looking for so it will take some time to get that word out. 
    I'm sympathetic to The Page having been advised, but not to buying a lockable expensive device off eBay. Too many ways to set yourself up for a big bag o' hurt. 
    It will make it a bit tougher on owners who want to sell their old phones if they can only sell with assurance to someone local to them and not online to a larger market.
    netmage
  • Reply 23 of 54
    Evets said:
    Bad move by Apple. Making it difficult if not impossible to determine if an iOS device is activation locked. I hope to hell that they have something better planned that will roll out soon.
    Don't buy a used iOS device online. That's where fraud is possible and I believe it's the reason for Apple to take down the tool. 
    If you buy face-to-face, you can easily check the device's lock status and decline to purchase. 
  • Reply 24 of 54
    Johan.G said:
    Evets said:
    Bad move by Apple. Making it difficult if not impossible to determine if an iOS device is activation locked. I hope to hell that they have something better planned that will roll out soon.
    Don't buy a used iOS device online. That's where fraud is possible and I believe it's the reason for Apple to take down the tool. 
    If you buy face-to-face, you can easily check the device's lock status and decline to purchase. 
    Apparently you're also saying don't try to sell your old iPhone online either? 
    netmage
  • Reply 25 of 54
    gatorguy said:
    Johan.G said:
    gatorguy said:
    Johan.G said:
    Johan.G said:

It will make it a bit tougher on owners who want to sell their old phones if they can only sell with assurance to someone local to them and not online to a larger market.
    Person A physically handing the iPhone over to Person B so Person B can then check out the device, has always been the only way to sell with assurance. 
    Whether or not you trust the dude on eBay is still up to you. I just feel Apple is trying to eliminate the online fuckery – which I'd support. 
    ericthehalfbeewatto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 54
    gatorguy said:
    Johan.G said:
    Johan.G said:

No it's not common knowledge. Complete and utter BS. I've literally bought and sold dozens of iPhones and iPads. And I never knew this tool existed until today. The typical scenario goes like this:

- Arrange to meet the person in a public place (THIS is common knowledge).
    - Examine the phone for proper operation (insert SIM and make calls and check if data access works).
    - Examine phone for scratches and condition.
    - Check if Find My iPhone is off, or better yet have seller turn it off proving they know the password.
    - Check the bill of sale the seller should have. Or proof that they've paid out their carrier contract and the phone is clear.
    - Reset/erase phone once you've both agreed on final price.

The reason I know this is common is not just from my own experience but from looking at others ads to see what going prices are and what their terms are. People always add the same "notes" to their ads. Things like: "will not ship iPhone, only local buyers in person" or "have original packaging and receipt".

Heres 3 random ads I clicked on Craigslist in my area:

iPhone 7 Rose Gold 128 GB
    Locked to Rogers/Fido/Chatr
    with Receipt
    ID can be shown so buy in Confidence.

For Sale
    Factory Unlocked Matte Black iPhone 7 128gb
    9/10
    Can provide proof of purchase

Iphone 6splus plus 
    Rose gold colour
    Condition 9/10
    Factory Unlocked to all carriers worldwide.
    16gigs memory.
    Very good condition. Please see pictures.
    Have original bill.
    No shipping or PayPal. Only cash.

Only an idiot would buy an iPhone online sight unseen. How do you even know if the IMEI they give you is real? It could be for a "good" phone, but they ship you a different phone. Further, there's a popular scam where a person gets a free phone on contract, sells it and never makes payments. Carrier blocks the IMEI after a few months of missed payments and you're stuck with a brick.

IMEI checks are useless since they don't protect you against any of the common scams. You need a bill of sale to prove the seller is the owner of the phone and you need them to turn off Find My iPhone. That's the only way to be sure the phone is safe to buy.
    Johan.GlostkiwiSpamSandwich
  • Reply 27 of 54
    gatorguy said:
    Johan.G said:
    Johan.G said:

No it's not common knowledge. Complete and utter BS. I've literally bought and sold dozens of iPhones and iPads. And I never knew this tool existed until today. The typical scenario goes like this:

- Examine the phone for proper operation (insert SIM and make calls and check if data access works).
    - Check if Find My iPhone is off, or better yet have seller turn it off proving they know the password.
    - Check the bill of sale the seller should have. Or proof that they've paid out their carrier contract and the phone is clear.

The reason I know this is common is not just from my own experience but from looking at others ads to see what going prices are and what their terms are. People always add the same "notes" to their ads. Things like: "will not ship iPhone, only local buyers in person" or "have original packaging and receipt".

with Receipt

For Sale
    9/10

Iphone 6splus plus 
    Rose gold colour
    Condition 9/10
    16gigs memory.
    Have original bill.

Only an idiot would buy an iPhone online sight unseen. How do you even know if the IMEI they give you is real? It could be for a "good" phone, but they ship you a different phone. Further, there's a popular scam where a person gets a free phone on contract, sells it and never makes payments. Carrier blocks the IMEI after a few months of missed payments and you're stuck with a brick.

IMEI checks are useless since they don't protect you against any of the common scams. You need a bill of sale to prove the seller is the owner of the phone and you need them to turn off Find My iPhone. That's the only way to be sure the phone is safe to buy.
    Heck, I guess perhaps I gave some Apple users more credit than I should have. I knew about it from some time ago, and when my grandson sold his old iPhone two weeks back (on OfferUp) several people who were seemed interested asked for the IMEI before going further. Just because you didn't know doesn't mean it wasn't relatively common knowledge. 

But of course just because I know about it and know of instances where several others presumably know about it doesn't prove "common knowledge" I'll admit. Your limited personal experiences don't prove yours either, which kinda makes your claim that my opinion is "utter BS" well... "utter BS".  So my opinion would still be it is relatively common knowledge for used iPhone buyers but I'm not arrogant enough to claim it for a fact. Surely you aren't either. 

Suffice to say that buying online isn't uncommon and if potential buyers are accustomed to Apple's iCloud Activation Lock as pre-sale assistance before proceeding very far, and some sellers knew to point them that direction to assure them they were legit they'll need to find a different way. No biggie as I'm not selling one and not actively looking to buy for the time-being either. (I actually was looking around several months ago)

edited January 2017
  • Reply 28 of 54
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,886member
    Johan.G said:
    You're suggesting iOS sometimes ignores valid password entries, and it wasn't your mistake? I've never heard of this issue. 
    dysamoriapscooter63watto_cobranetmagecornchip
  • Reply 29 of 54
    gatorguy said:
    gatorguy said:
    Johan.G said:
    Johan.G said:

with Receipt

For Sale
    9/10

Iphone 6splus plus 
    Rose gold colour
    Condition 9/10
    16gigs memory.
    Have original bill.

Heck, I guess perhaps I gave some Apple users more credit than I should have. I knew about it from some time ago, and when my grandson sold his old iPhone two weeks back (on OfferUp) several people who were seemed interested asked for the IMEI before going further. Just because you didn't know doesn't mean it wasn't relatively common knowledge. 

But of course just because I know about it and know of instances where several others presumably know about it doesn't prove "common knowledge". Neither of our positions can be proven to be "utter BS" as you would claim unless you have some proof beyond personal experience. My opinion would still be it is relatively common knowledge for used iPhone buyers but I'm not arrogant enough to claim it for a fact. Surely you aren't either. 

The fact that not a single buyer/seller I've dealt with knew about this is why it's not common knowledge. Everyone asks for receipts to prove you're the owner or that you've paid out your contract. Many buyers don't even know what Activation Lock is, and seem happy/surprised when I explain it to them (I've commented on this before several times at AI in the past). If they don't know what Activation Lock is, how would they know about an IMEI tool to check it?

However, lots of buyers know about the IMEI blacklist checkers. And several have told me they don't trust them because it takes too long for a device to hit the blacklist. And sellers can report their phone stolen AFTER they sell it (another popular scam) so they can get a new phone. This is why everyone wants to see a bill of sale.

I regularly get asked for my IMEI and/or serial number when people respond to my ads. I tell them they can see them in person on the device so they know I'm not giving them a fake number. They never answer back. Gee, I wonder why a person asking for device info never responds? Because they're running some sort of scam, which is why they ask for those numbers. Serious buyers always agree to meet in person. I get requests for IMEI numbers as often as I get asked "I'm in Toronto for a week and wonder if you can ship it to me" even when my Ad clearly states "local buyers only".

People are complaining about Apple removing this tool just so they can continue to bitch about Apple. Just like the haters trying to slam the MBP because it doesn't have 32GB RAM by fabricating bizarre use cases, we now have people fabricating stories how this will make it hard for people to buy "safe" iPhones.
    pscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 54
    ireland said:
    Johan.G said:
    You needed your iCloud Apple-ID login details to do this however. And perhaps you were not entering the right password? Did you change it recently?
    No. Actually I had entered my passcode just hours earlier. How come on the phone erasing the device requires the passcode but it can be done on iCloud with just Apple ID login information?
  • Reply 31 of 54
    Johan.G said:
    You're suggesting iOS sometimes ignores valid password entries, and it wasn't your mistake? I've never heard of this issue. 
    Me either but I had used that same passcode 6 hours earlier no problem. Wasn't the end of the world as I'm backed up of course but it was still a pain in the ass.
  • Reply 32 of 54
    ericthehalfbee said: we now have people fabricating stories how this will make it hard for people to buy "safe" iPhones.
    Of course it won't be hard to buy a safe phone, but it won't be as easy as it was before the page was removed for some buyers and sellers. If you were being honest you wouldn't disagree. You're trying to turn this into a "hater" thing? It's not.

More than one current Apple user has wondered aloud why a useful tool was removed and they're not all "haters", but it doesn't make buying used iPhones all that much harder if you know what the current proper procedure should be. So yeah, I totally agree with that part.  My post to the OP was meant as a reminder that it wasn't just buyers who might be inconvenienced, not to invite a personal vendetta.  If my assumption that the Activation Lock status tool was known and used by many is off-base then no big deal. Opinions are very often wrong. And very often right. 

My guess is either Apple will comment on why or offer a different solution in short order. It's removal got noticed right away so it's obviously used (or was).
    edited January 2017
  • Reply 33 of 54
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    ireland said:
    Johan.G said:
    You needed your iCloud Apple-ID login details to do this however. And perhaps you were not entering the right password? Did you change it recently?
    No. Actually I had entered my passcode just hours earlier. How come on the phone erasing the device requires the passcode but it can be done on iCloud with just Apple ID login information?
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but erasing the device in hand also requires your Apple-ID iCloud login info to be entered.
  • Reply 34 of 54
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    gatorguy said:
    ericthehalfbee said: we now have people fabricating stories how this will make it hard for people to buy "safe" iPhones.
    Of course it won't be hard to buy a safe phone, but it won't be as easy as it was before the page was removed for some buyers and sellers. If you were being honest you wouldn't disagree. You're trying to turn this into a "hater" thing? It's not.

More than one current Apple user has wondered aloud why a useful tool was removed and they're not all "haters", but it doesn't make buying used iPhones all that much harder if you know what the current proper procedure should be. So yeah, I totally agree with that part.  My post to the OP was meant as a reminder that it wasn't just buyers who might be inconvenienced, not to invite a personal vendetta.  If my assumption that the Activation Lock status tool was known and used by many is off-base then no big deal. Opinions are very often wrong. And very often right. 

My guess is either Apple will comment on why or offer a different solution in short order. It's removal got noticed right away so it's obviously used (or was).
    Seems to me it's the difference between those who buy things on Craigslist -- I don't -- and those who buy things on eBay. I've purchased several iphones on eBay from "reputable" sellers. PayPal covers me 100% in the event of a scam. I've never had a problem, and I don't know anyone who has.
    netmage
  • Reply 35 of 54
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Johan.G said:
    If that wasn't always the case then how did activation lock work before if you could wipe the device at will?
    netmage
  • Reply 36 of 54
    Soli said:
    Johan.G said:
    If that wasn't always the case then how did activation lock work before if you could wipe the device at will?
    Before, you could wipe and not activate anew if locked. Now (iOS 10.2.1) you can't wipe without first unlocking. 
    edited January 2017 Solicornchip
  • Reply 37 of 54
    gatorguy said:

My haters comment is directed at the general response to this on multiple forums, not just here or to specific individuals. It's a tool that was MARGINALLY useful, yet the removal of it is making people act like it's the only way people can check an iOS device. The most common comments I've seen everywhere are: "Apple just trying to force people to buy only new iPhones to line their pockets" or "Now how am I supposed to see if a device is safe to buy" or "The resale value of used iPhones just plummeted since we can no longer check them". All lies. This will have next to no impact.

- People who buy & sell in person (a large number do this) will continue to rely on existing methods to keep them safe (bill of sale, turning off Find My iPhone, meeting in public place or police station, actual physical inspection of the device, swapping drivers licenses/ID).
    - People who buy & sell online from reputable companies (like Gazelle) aren't affected by this. You won't buy a device that's locked or blacklisted and if you send in one locked to try and sell they'll refuse it).
    - People who buy & sell online from individuals or unknown companies have no protection regardless if this tool is available or not. It does nothing to help them avoid being scammed.

About the only use I can see for this is to check an IMEI of a phone before you meet someone in person to make sure you don't waste your time going to look at a locked iPhone. And what benefit would there be to a seller to trick you into a fake meeting to sell something that didn't match what they said?
    StrangeDayscornchip
  • Reply 38 of 54
    Johan.G said:
    Soli said:
    Johan.G said:
    Before, you could wipe and not activate anew if locked. Now (iOS 10.2.1) you can't wipe without first unlocking. 
    Thanks.
  • Reply 39 of 54
    gatorguy said:

My haters comment is directed at the general response to this on multiple forums, not just here or to specific individuals. It's a tool that was MARGINALLY useful, yet the removal of it is making people act like it's the only way people can check an iOS device. The most common comments I've seen everywhere are: "Apple just trying to force people to buy only new iPhones to line their pockets" or "Now how am I supposed to see if a device is safe to buy" or "The resale value of used iPhones just plummeted since we can no longer check them". All lies. This will have next to no impact.

- People who buy & sell in person (a large number do this) will continue to rely on existing methods to keep them safe (bill of sale, turning off Find My iPhone, meeting in public place or police station, actual physical inspection of the device, swapping drivers licenses/ID).
    - People who buy & sell online from reputable companies (like Gazelle) aren't affected by this. You won't buy a device that's locked or blacklisted and if you send in one locked to try and sell they'll refuse it).
    - People who buy & sell online from individuals or unknown companies have no protection regardless if this tool is available or not. It does nothing to help them avoid being scammed.

About the only use I can see for this is to check an IMEI of a phone before you meet someone in person to make sure you don't waste your time going to look at a locked iPhone. And what benefit would there be to a seller to trick you into a fake meeting to sell something that didn't match what they said?
    Good post. I did not realize  you had come across so many kinda over-the-top complaints. 
  • Reply 40 of 54
    ericthehalfbee said:
    And what benefit would there be to a seller to trick you into a fake meeting to sell something that didn't match what they said?
    They could rob you of the cash. They can do that anyway, but if they messaged you their IMEI before the sale to show that activation lock is disabled and it's their personal phone the authorities could use it to track them down, which means a half-way intelligent thief wouldn't give you their personal IMEI.