Apple's 'iPhone 8' to replace Touch ID home button with 'function area,' start at $1,000

Comments

• Reply 21 of 50
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Soli said:
    I'm not sold on this rumour. I like having a physical indention for the Home Button.
    This design does not preclude an indentation.
    edited February 2017
  • Reply 22 of 50
    london11 said:

But replacing it with a dead (ie: no active screen) function area makes no sense. They might as well keep the physical button.
    It's about usability and intuitiveness. If the area is not rigid and entirely predictable many or even some users will get confused. And if they get confused, when they do not now, that would be bad design and Apple's fault.
    edited February 2017 london11
  • Reply 23 of 50
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,885member
    chasm said:
    Is it really too much to ask that you include the word "Rumor" or similar language in your headline?
    They're just going along with the fake news/alternative facts fad that's been sweeping the nation.
    doozydozen
  • Reply 24 of 50
    That 5.15 inch display would be a disappointment. It would shrink the usable screen from the current iPhone 7+ form factor. If this rumor is correct it is $1000 for a phone with a smaller usable screen.
    The wisdom is we pay more for smaller, faster when it comes to mobile.  the 7+ form factor isn't the win, it's a 5.8" screen that fits in your shirt pocket, like a 4.7" screen.
    why can't the 'virtual buttons' be a 'five button' dock where Touch ID and a 3dTouch home region is reserved.

That said, I'm not yet convinced... I'm waiting for where the ear speaker and camera will be placed on the bezel.   I'm wondering if it's 5.15" because we still need a .6" bezel at the top for a front facing camera and ear speaker.
    pscooter63
  • Reply 25 of 50
    "According to...  analyst..."

But sure. I get that the current headline as it is will get hits. Biz is biz, I know. 

Still love ya, AI.    ;)
    edited February 2017 Solipscooter63tallest skil
  • Reply 26 of 50
    technotechno Posts: 737member
    I'm losing interest with this site because of articles like this. Label it as a rumor and not mislead us with that headline. 
    Rayz2016irelandSpamSandwichdoozydozenStrangeDays
  • Reply 27 of 50
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    So this is how the next iPhone becomes “disappointing.” Nerds and pundits with absolutely no knowledge or understanding of hardware engineering create, in their minds, the perfect device with fantastic features that boggle the mind. They then disseminate these rumors as fact or “reliable” predictions. Then when the actual device appears or facts about it begin to leak the “disappointment” starts to sink in. The new iPhone, in fact, won’t have those mind boggling features that were a “sure thing” a few months ago. Apple has failed once again to release the next big thing and the prophets of doom are vindicated. Do you not see how this works?
    Solipscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 50
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,038member
    lkrupp said:
    So this is how the next iPhone becomes “disappointing.” Nerds and pundits with absolutely no knowledge or understanding of hardware engineering create, in their minds, the perfect device with fantastic features that boggle the mind. They then disseminate these rumors as fact or “reliable” predictions. Then when the actual device appears or facts about it begin to leak the “disappointment” starts to sink in. The new iPhone, in fact, won’t have those mind boggling features that were a “sure thing” a few months ago. Apple has failed once again to release the next big thing and the prophets of doom are vindicated. Do you not see how this works?
    Every. Single. Time.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 50
    lkrupp said:
    I remember when the iPhone 5s came out and it was Apple's new flagship phone with a (gasp) 64-bit A7 chip, new Touch ID, and improved specs all around. The tech media saw the familiar shape and collectively wrote articles claiming how Apple fans were allegedly  "disappointed" that Apple released "another iPhone 5" instead of making a phablet. Then the iPhone 5s sold better than any iPhone before it. Doomed.
    watto_cobraStrangeDayspatchythepirate
  • Reply 30 of 50
    chasm said:
    Is it really too much to ask that you include the word "Rumor" or similar language in your headline? Because that's what this is. Ming-Chi Kuo was *way off* on his last round of predictions, though he has made some good guesses in the past. Please stop stating speculation as fact in headlines. Journalism 101, guys.
    Journalism? You're new here I see. 
    Solidsd[Deleted User]irelandSpamSandwich
  • Reply 31 of 50
    lmaclmac Posts: 206member
    Starting at $1000? Are they kidding?
    tallest skilSpamSandwich
  • Reply 32 of 50
    qwweraqwwera Posts: 281member
    lmac said:
    Starting at $1000? Are they kidding?
    You can connect two cans with a string. Much cheaper. 
    No one is forcing anyone to buy anything. Buy what you think is best for your budget.
    SoliRayz2016pscooter63watto_cobrapatchythepirate
  • Reply 33 of 50
    qwwera said:
    No one is forcing anyone to buy anything. Buy what you think is best for your budget.
    There’s being the Cadillac of telephones and there’s being the Bugatti of telephones. Apple’s success comes from the expansiveness of its install base, not just the profits per device thereon.
    watto_cobrazoetmb
  • Reply 34 of 50
    lkrupp said:
    Yeah, but the "disappointed nerds" fraction is what? 0.00001% of the market? 
    While the rest is happy with the next great iPhone. I say: don't worry. Just look at how headphone-jack-gate dissolved into nothingness. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 50
    robjnrobjn Posts: 283member
    It appears from the diagrams that the "function area" is NOT part of the display. Since these panels are flexible they would allow hardware related to the display and it's integrated technologies to be directly integrated into the one part, this area could then be folded under during assembly. Other possibilities is that the function area replaces Touch ID or integrated the camera/speaker without being a screen.

Early rumers said that it was a 5.8 " display. Kuo has repeatedly said that whilst the part measures 5.8" the display area is closer to 5.1. The diagram is an attempt to explain this.

So this "function area" is not a place for "virtual buttons". Such would be a software feature not a hardware one. Moreover, virtual buttons require a display and the graphic itself indicates the "function area" is not a display area. Otherwise it would have a 5.8" display and this is exactly what Kuo is arguing against.
  • Reply 36 of 50
    ireland said:
    london11 said:

But replacing it with a dead (ie: no active screen) function area makes no sense. They might as well keep the physical button.
    It's about usability and intuitiveness. If the area is not rigid and entirely predictable many or even some users will get confused. And if they get confused, when they do not now, that would be bad design and Apple's fault.
    I know plenty of people that got "confused" when Apple changed swipe-to-unlock to press-to-unlock. Was that bad design? Or when they moved the power button from the top to the side - years later I'm still accidentally pressing power when I'm trying to put the volume up/down. Apple are not averse to bad design decisions sometimes.
  • Reply 37 of 50
    Can we also talk about a larger iPod Touch now please ??  
    Long overdue methinks.  Thank you  :)
  • Reply 38 of 50
    robjn said:
    It appears from the diagrams that the "function area" is NOT part of the display.
    Is it part of the display in the diagrams. But the UX and OS makes it look as they are two separate displays thanks to how dark OLED is when pixels are not used. Case in point: if the iPhone turns out to be like this I bet the boot screen could cover the entire 5.8"
    edited February 2017
  • Reply 39 of 50
    london11 said:
    Can we also talk about a larger iPod Touch now please ??  
    Long overdue methinks.  Thank you  :)
    Yeah I hope they don't go there. Phones should be the focus going forward. Besides, Apple Watch is the new iPod.
    doozydozen
  • Reply 40 of 50

adm1 said:
    ireland said:
    london11 said:

I know plenty of people that got "confused" when Apple changed swipe-to-unlock to press-to-unlock. Was that bad design?
    No because "press to unlock" is written on the fucking screen. Give the phone to an 80-year-old who's never used it before and ask them to unlock it and they'll quickly figure that out.
    edited February 2017 doozydozen