Apple's 'iPhone 8' to replace Touch ID home button with 'function area,' start at $1,000

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 50
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    adm1 said:
    ireland said:
    london11 said:

But replacing it with a dead (ie: no active screen) function area makes no sense. They might as well keep the physical button.
    It's about usability and intuitiveness. If the area is not rigid and entirely predictable many or even some users will get confused. And if they get confused, when they do not now, that would be bad design and Apple's fault.
    Apple are not averse to bad design decisions sometimes.
    They are certainly not infallible when it comes to design.
  • Reply 42 of 50
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    I find it highly unlikely the price is going to go up that much...at least not for the whole line.  
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 43 of 50
    While the rest is happy with the next great iPhone. I say: don't worry. Just look at how headphone-jack-gate dissolved into nothingness. 
    If you’re not already prepping for HomeButtonGate, you’re… probably spending your time judiciously since it won’t matter, either.

(I don’t like the iPhone 7’s home button and I doubt I’ll like this, honestly…)
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 44 of 50
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    If they go with this design for the home button, they'll have to do something equally revolutionary with the top bezel, which could prove even more difficult than getting TouchID to work inside the pixels. You've got a camera, earpiece, proximity detector and even the camera module on the back may conflict with thickness of the touch screen layers.
    doozydozen
  • Reply 45 of 50
    sog35 said:
    Love this new design. As long as full screen video is possible.
    You stick to trading stocks and leave the UX decisions to the big boys. Although technically part of the screen the function area wouldn't be meant for what we refer to as content, but for system controls with minor context-aware buttons. The home button should be there in the centre and perhaps will fade away when the user is watching video. No content per se should cover that area.
    edited February 2017 SpamSandwich
  • Reply 46 of 50
    It's going to start at $1000.
    Did we mention it's $1000?
    It's $1000.

Post outrage below.
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 47 of 50
    volcan said:
    If they go with this design for the home button, they'll have to do something equally revolutionary with the top bezel, which could prove even more difficult than getting TouchID to work inside the pixels. You've got a camera, earpiece, proximity detector and even the camera module on the back may conflict with thickness of the touch screen layers.
    My gut feeling is the phone isn't available in a white, front given there's little to no bezel—so it's "all screen"—except for perhaps a 4 mm top portion where in a single line you have all of the above under black glass and the earpiece is either along the top-edge of just cut into the glass like now. So it all blends very well. And if the sides and top are curved with the same shape as the 7 it may be possible to have the top blend to resemble the other three sides to a great degree. Despite the patents I just don't see all or any of those features under the actual OLED portion.
    edited February 2017
  • Reply 48 of 50
    It's going to start at $1000.
    Did we mention it's $1000?
    It's $1000.

Post outrage below.
    Can't afford one.
    tallest skil
  • Reply 49 of 50
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    It would certainly look cool and all.. but the current bottom and top also serves as "touch safe" areas, that at least I'm using for picking up, and holding the phone now and then. If it's all screen it might be even more prone to dropping, when trying to hold it by the frame. But it'll be cool!! Looking forward to it.
    perhaps time they build in an official way to fasten a loop or strap or something to keep it safe in your hand.
    SpamSandwich