Apple replaces iPad Air 2 with A9-equipped 9.7-inch iPad starting at $329

Comments

• Reply 21 of 44
    retrogustoretrogusto Posts: 1,112member
    I hope this means that the Pro models will be less expensive too, and they moved this one down to help retain the distinction between the lines. I was using my iPad constantly until OS "upgrades" ruined it, so I'm tempted to spend a little extra for the fancy one.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 44
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    macxpress said:
    I don't think price was the issue.
    Oh yes it was. The iPads- especially the "Pros" are grossly overpriced.
    No, they're not overpriced. The problem is that many people around the world are just using their cheap tablets for e-mail, messaging, browsing and low quality video watching. For that, a cheap tablet is often good enough. That doesn't mean that high quality tablets that are able to do much more are overpriced. And these cheap tablets have no backing by the manufacturer, or Google. If they break, you throw them away. The new Samsung Tab S3 costs $499 in its lowest cost version. The performance almost, but not quite matches the iPad of a year ago. I'm not sure if it even runs the latest Android version. How long will Samsung support it with updates? Maybe for 12 more months, but maybe not. How long does Apple support theirs? 4 years.
    StrangeDayscalipatchythepirateronnration albrucemcwatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 44
    sog35 said:
    melgross said:
    sog35 said:
    This cheaper iPad and SE really show that Apple has moved the needle.

The Needle between Profits and Market share. Its pretty obvious that Apple is willing to sacrifice some profits to increase market share. Of course they won't get ridiculous and sell $99 tablets and phones like Android POS builders.

But why this move to increase market share?

Services. Services. Services. Services.

I think internally Apple has set a goal of increasing the amount of active iOS devices by 75% in the next 4 years.
    Cook has said that they want to double services by 2020. That would be to $50 billion a year, putting the highly profitable services unit in the Fortune 100, sizewise.
    And since services are recorded as Net sales (Apple only counts the 30% commission they get on App sales, not the entire sale) the actual gross sales will be closer to $100 billion. That's bigger than Google's total sales right now.

It really is mind boggling how massive Apple services revenue can become in the next decade.
    It's one reason the stock is driving higher. Usually, the financial markets don't look at service in a hardware company. But Apple is pushing it.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 44
    Eric_WVGG said:
    The Pencil situation is maddening. 

Technically, I get it, the Pencil requires a screen that runs twice as fast for motion accuracy. If the hardware necessary to make that work is expensive to manufacture, that makes sense.

As a user, it's absurd that only professionals doodle or buy moleskine notebooks.
    Ok, I don't get your post. Perhaps you would care to expand on it.

so you understand these more sophisticated tablets cost more to develop and produce, but you think that non pros also doodle, so the prices should be lower? I'm sorry, but I don't get that.

canon and Nikon produce a number of cameras. The top pro models with the extra features and ruggedness working pros need cost about $6,000 sans lens. So you think that since non pros take snapshots, those cameras should be cheap enough for them to buy? That would be consistent with your statement.
    StrangeDayscalironnration albrucemc
  • Reply 25 of 44
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Eric_WVGG said:
    The Pencil situation is maddening. 

Technically, I get it, the Pencil requires a screen that runs twice as fast for motion accuracy. If the hardware necessary to make that work is expensive to manufacture, that makes sense.

As a user, it's absurd that only professionals doodle or buy moleskine notebooks.
    Just spend the extra money and get an iPad Pro. You won't regret it.
    cali
  • Reply 26 of 44
    They should have called it "iPad Air 3: Back In The Thick Of It"
  • Reply 27 of 44
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    macxpress said:
    There's not much reason to buy a iPad Pro if you are not an artist.   Apple should include mouse support for when you are using the keyboard.   And they should add Mult-user support.  Size amounts should be 64, 256, and 512GB.   That would be impressive along with faster charging using USB Type C to lightning.
    cali
  • Reply 28 of 44
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    No rose gold? :(

how does this compare to the iPad Air 2? Spec/price wise?
    edited March 2017
  • Reply 29 of 44
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    The fact that nothing was mentioned about the Pro models, makes me think this is a run-up to an event in April in a few weeks where we'll see new Pro models. They will finally bring them up to feature parity and make the move to the A10 Fusion and a 3D Touch display... A new Apple Pencil w/Eraser and possibly a new keyboard case with a Pencil holder. (Why they didn't do that with the first keyboard I have no idea?)
  • Reply 30 of 44
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    sog35 said:
    macxpress said:
    So basically, they've done very little to try and get more iPad sales. I don't think price was the issue. Unless there's a new regular iPad coming at some point but this sounds like just that.
    Price is a huge issue.

165 million tablets were sold last year. There is still a huge chunk of tablet sales that Apple is missing because of price.

The drop to $329 and probably sub $299 during the holiday season should boost new iPad users.

Later this year we will see a high priced iPad for hardcore users like you
    I doubt price was a large issue...the main issue is. If I have an iPad 2 or hell even an iPad Air there's absolutely no reason to buy anything new because these iPads don't do anything new today than an iPad did yesterday. I still wouldn't sell out $329 for an iPad that doesn't do anything different. 
  • Reply 31 of 44
    did a quick compare with iPad pro.  am i correct to believe that the key differences between this and the pro is 

-slightly thicker
    -no true tone
    -no pencil support
    -no smart connector, hence no keyboard

??

if so, this might be my first iPad.  none of the differences seems to justify forking a few extra bucks for.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 44
    jdgazjdgaz Posts: 404member
    Still going to wait for a revised pro. I do want to use the pencil. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 44
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    sog35 said:
    macxpress said:
    sog35 said:
    macxpress said:
    So basically, they've done very little to try and get more iPad sales. I don't think price was the issue. Unless there's a new regular iPad coming at some point but this sounds like just that.
    Price is a huge issue.

165 million tablets were sold last year. There is still a huge chunk of tablet sales that Apple is missing because of price.

The drop to $329 and probably sub $299 during the holiday season should boost new iPad users.

Later this year we will see a high priced iPad for hardcore users like you
    I doubt price was a large issue...the main issue is. If I have an iPad 2 or hell even an iPad Air there's absolutely no reason to buy anything new because these iPads don't do anything new today than an iPad did yesterday. I still wouldn't sell out $329 for an iPad that doesn't do anything different. 
    These are marketed for:

1. iPad2, iPad3, and iPad4 users - You can't get iOS10 with iPad2 and iPad3. And iPad4 probably can't get iOS11 this fall

2. Brand new tablet buyers. Coming from Android crap tablets. 

These are not made for iPad Air upgraders. That path is the iPad Pro.
    I know what its marketed for...but the bottom line is many are still content with their iPad 2 or even iPad 4. People don't care about speed. How many people come in here and other forums bitching about their iPad being slow? I can't really recall anyone ever doing that. Its never about the specs. Why do you think Apple never says it has this fast of CPU, this much RAM, etc. 

There's nothing in this update that makes someone want to go out and get an iPad. It does the same thing every other iPad does. 
  • Reply 34 of 44
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    sog35 said:
    k2kw said:
    macxpress said:
    There's not much reason to buy a iPad Pro if you are not an artist.   Apple should include mouse support for when you are using the keyboard.   And they should add Mult-user support.  Size amounts should be 64, 256, and 512GB.   That would be impressive along with faster charging using USB Type C to lightning.
    Kinda agree that iPad Pro is only for artist. But the bigger Pro has more uses. 

I hope the next generation of iPad Pro offers another killer feature that seperates it from the iPad
    I have an iPadAir2 which i love for safari, tv, podcasts, and movies,    If they add mouse support to the big Pro I'll buy it because then I could RDP into my company's systems and use it as a laptop replacement.    If they don't then I'll be buying a Surface Pro5.    I can't image that the iPadPro can't support a mouse since they already support the pen.

I really think that Apple should make an iOSBook.   An iOS Laptop.    While most here are probably macOS users, there are over 500 million users who know and probably love iOS and would find it a more appropriate platform for a laptop as its simpler.    Would like to see a premium 12.9 model and a budget friendly 9.7 model aimed at young kids/school using the Polycarbonate body material they developed for the 5C. 
  • Reply 35 of 44
    I'm curious if the "iPad" vs "iPad Air#" name change is a indication that iPhone will also drop the numbers come September? I hope so. It's kind dumb at this point. I can't think if they named each MacBook by each generation. The only distinction will be pro v. Non-pro models for the highest end hardware.
  • Reply 36 of 44
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    mjtomlin said:
    The fact that nothing was mentioned about the Pro models, makes me think this is a run-up to an event in April in a few weeks where we'll see new Pro models. They will finally bring them up to feature parity and make the move to the A10 Fusion and a 3D Touch display... A new Apple Pencil w/Eraser and possibly a new keyboard case with a Pencil holder. (Why they didn't do that with the first keyboard I have no idea?)
    Given how one holds and uses an iPad vs. IPhone, I am not sure if 3D Touch adds much to an iPad.  I haven't ever seen Apple do "feature parity" across different devices just because. 
  • Reply 37 of 44
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    k2kw said:
    sog35 said:
    k2kw said:
    macxpress said:
    Kinda agree that iPad Pro is only for artist. But the bigger Pro has more uses. 

I hope the next generation of iPad Pro offers another killer feature that seperates it from the iPad
    I have an iPadAir2 which i love for safari, tv, podcasts, and movies,    If they add mouse support to the big Pro I'll buy it because then I could RDP into my company's systems and use it as a laptop replacement.    If they don't then I'll be buying a Surface Pro5.    I can't image that the iPadPro can't support a mouse since they already support the pen.

I really think that Apple should make an iOSBook.   An iOS Laptop.    While most here are probably macOS users, there are over 500 million users who know and probably love iOS and would find it a more appropriate platform for a laptop as its simpler.    Would like to see a premium 12.9 model and a budget friendly 9.7 model aimed at young kids/school using the Polycarbonate body material they developed for the 5C. 
    Mouse support?  No doubt along with the user exposed file system, general USB ports (at least 4), ability to drive an external monitor, and user upgrade-able storage. 
    tallest skil
  • Reply 38 of 44
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    brucemc said:
    mjtomlin said:
    Given how one holds and uses an iPad vs. IPhone, I am not sure if 3D Touch adds much to an iPad.  I haven't ever seen Apple do "feature parity" across different devices just because. 

By "feature parity" I meant between the two iPad Pro models. They both have features missing from the other model. For instance, the larger model supports USB 3, the smaller is stuck at USB 2. The smaller has a much better camera and display. Etc.

And whether any feature adds anything to a device, that's up to an individual to decide. I for one, would definitely like to see it added. 
  • Reply 39 of 44
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    hattig said:
    This is a far better price for an iPad, and the A9 is still a stellar SoC.

I still don't know why Apple insists on charging so much more for the mobile data enabled model. 5 years ago $130 was reasonable, but today that should be a bit more reasonable.
    And now with all the major carriers offering free tethering I imagine the cellular equipped iPad to sell in less quantities. 
  • Reply 40 of 44
    hattig said:
    This is a far better price for an iPad, and the A9 is still a stellar SoC.

I still don't know why Apple insists on charging so much more for the mobile data enabled model. 5 years ago $130 was reasonable, but today that should be a bit more reasonable.
    And now with all the major carriers offering free tethering I imagine the cellular equipped iPad to sell in less quantities. 
    I don't know what the difference in sales is between the cell and non cell models is. I've always bought the cell equipped models. This has nothing to do with tethering, which is a pain, quite frankly. I'd just rather be able to not drain my phone in order to use LTE on my iPad, which I do quite a lot.