Teardown finds Apple's new iPad largely similar to first-gen iPad Air

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 25
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,907member
    holyone said:
    holyone said:
    They should have called it ( iPad SE - budget device ) and rename the air to ( iPad Light - general purpose "light" use device ) then ( iPad Pro - high end large screen mammoth for .... what ever ) and ( iPad Pro mini [with the 10'' display ] - second largest screen device )

While I understand your thinking with this, it's just too many names and choices. I think they're smart to head in the iPad/iPad Pro, MacBook/MacBook Pro direction for simplicity along their computer lines. Maybe the iMac will head in that direction too. Just Mac/Mac Pro. Who knows, maybe the "i" desgination will be for iOS devices going forward, rather than consumer products as it used to be when the iMac and iBook were first released.
    Agree with you 100% I think that would be fantastic but that's not Tim's Apple, Today's Apple seems less concerned with product line simplicity then profit maximization 
    I think you're over simplifying. Remember, one of the main reasons Jobs cut their product portfolio down to just a few things was because they were months away from going bankrupt. They had to make dramatic cuts, to the essentials. Some people were pissed if you recall the one of the first Jobs keynotes w/ Q&A after. Today Apple is in a much, much stronger position. They can experiment a little more. 

However I still don't subscribe to the narrative that Cook is a bean counter, that Apple is now all about profit alone, product doesn't matter, yada yada. It's just doomsday FUD.
    Soliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 25
    "The first online orders of the new iPad should be shipping today. Prices start at $329, making it the cheapest iPad option outside of refurbished models." Wrong. First online orders shipped days ago - mine was delivered yesterday, a full week before the original stated delivery date.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 25
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member
    zroger73 said:
    I wonder why the return to a thicker, heavier form factor for the iPad? Were there problems with the iPad Air 2's laminated display or structure? My iPA2 has been flawless.
    The iPad Air 2 is a great device. No problems.  Apple just wanted to differentiate between regular iPad devices and iPad Pro to be similar to how Apple markets the MacBook and MacBook Pro.  The iPad is less powerful, thicker and not cutting edge tech.  The iPad Pro will be thin and performant but at the cost of added cost.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 25
    zroger73zroger73 Posts: 787member
    zroger73 said:
    I wonder why the return to a thicker, heavier form factor for the iPad? Were there problems with the iPad Air 2's laminated display or structure? My iPA2 has been flawless.
    Cost, in order to make the new $329 price. 
    I just don't understand how it can be cheaper to retool and return to a previous form factor when the R&D costs for the iPad Air 2 were already finished before October 2014 when it went on sale and tooling was already in place for the iPad Air 2's shell. Why not just add the RAM and A9 to it to create the iPad (2017) instead?

watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 25
    Perhaps we will end up with a new iPad Air and iPad Pro. So mini, iPad, iPad Air, iPad Pro!!??