Review: Apple's new wireless AirPods put a smile on 2016

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 87
    These things suck. They won't stay in my ear for more than 2 minutes before falling out....
  • Reply 82 of 87
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,564member
    These things suck. They won't stay in my ear for more than 2 minutes before falling out....
    Bummer. Return them. 
  • Reply 83 of 87
    JacobVRJacobVR Posts: 11member
    Have you used it in places where there is no or bad internet connectivity? Hearing reports that for example in subways(generally no connection) you cannot change the volume on the earpods themselves..
  • Reply 84 of 87
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,360member
    I finally got my AirPods a week ago, having ordered them third-party out of state to save $16 sales tax. What a mistake.

I should have ponied up much sooner. That $16 would have been long forgotten. These are great! Better sound than I expected, amazing fit, and no frikken' cords!

The comfort and freedom of not only no cords but no band is incomparable to any headphone experience I've had in years. Decades even.

On occasion I'll use a single headphone when driving (duals are illegal) and it drives me a little crazy as I'm only getting one channel unless I switch to mono. I could dig up one of my old Radio Shack stereo-to-mono plug adapters. But using one AirPod is a more convenient and elegant solution.

One other thing that was immediately noticeable was the BT connectivity. So many BT headsets have lost connection (momentarily, but still...) when I move my head or phone. Sometimes I'd have to change the pocket I keep it in depending on the headphones I used (cord/or BT). No such problem and the range is much better than average (my LG Tones are the all time champ).

Shame on me for waiting so long. 

Soli
  • Reply 85 of 87
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    macgui said:
    I finally got my AirPods a week ago, having ordered them third-party out of state to save $16 sales tax. What a mistake.

I should have ponied up much sooner. That $16 would have been long forgotten. These are great! Better sound than I expected, amazing fit, and no frikken' cords!

The comfort and freedom of not only no cords but no band is incomparable to any headphone experience I've had in years. Decades even.

On occasion I'll use a single headphone when driving (duals are illegal) and it drives me a little crazy as I'm only getting one channel unless I switch to mono. I could dig up one of my old Radio Shack stereo-to-mono plug adapters. But using one AirPod is a more convenient and elegant solution.

One other thing that was immediately noticeable was the BT connectivity. So many BT headsets have lost connection (momentarily, but still...) when I move my head or phone. Sometimes I'd have to change the pocket I keep it in depending on the headphones I used (cord/or BT). No such problem and the range is much better than average (my LG Tones are the all time champ).

Shame on me for waiting so long. 
    1) Excellent, succinct write up.

2) What state doesn't allow for headphones in both ears? Since people who are deaf can legally drive I figured that this was allowed in every state.

3) The only complaints about them dropping the connection has been on this forum and by only a couple people, but my experience was like yours (except that I unfortunately had to return mine because the earbud design isn't comfortable for my ears, but they stayed in perfectly fine and were otherwise perfect—I hope we see an in-ear option in the future with the W1 chip).
  • Reply 86 of 87
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,360member
    When it comes to ears, there's no such thing as one size fits all. It's too bad these didn't work for you because they're GREAT!

These are similar but not the exact same shape as EarPods, and I'd occasionally drop one (same ear every time) so I was concerned about the AirPod fitment. Being close to three Apple Stores it was easy to try a demo pair. 

[Interesting note: I got there when the store was opening and no AirPods were available. The associate called back and a tray of maybe 20 demo units was brought out, with a seal on each case. They're probably wiped down at the end of the day. The set I demoed wasn't put back in the tray but in space behind the tray in the drawer.]

Putting in a pair, I shook my head hard, several times trying to shake them out and couldn't do it. They didn't even wiggle, unlike the one EarPod that would sometimes fall out. Be it the improved (for me) shape or the lack of the weight of a cord, these were and are very stable.

So anybody expecting a perfect fit is kidding themselves. They may in fact get one, but expecting it from a non-flexible design, is on it's face, imprudent.

There are third-party companies making accessories to help them fit more people. That make work for some.

These things are GREAT and I regret waiting so long to get mine.
  • Reply 87 of 87
    racerhomie3racerhomie3 Posts: 1,264member
    After using them for almost a month, I agree with every part Daniel says. Even the VOIP integration from iOS 10,helps with hanging up after a phone call.
    edited March 2018