Apple Music Volume Control

Posted:
in Genius Bar
I am looking at streaming music through a traditional stereo system from my iPhone. The source is Apple Music. I would stream to a Airport Express --> digital/optical out-->DAC (probably Schitt Mod3)-->Amp-->speakers.

Will I be able to control volume on my phone. I'm not going into a pre-amp or integrated receiver that might have a separate volume control. I have searched everywhere I can think, and I cannot figure out how volume is controlled in a stream.

I have two Homepods and of course I can control volume, but that may be some other code sent along with the music signal. All answers welcome, but a technical one would be great.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,874administrator
    non_sense said:
    I am looking at streaming music through a traditional stereo system from my iPhone. The source is Apple Music. I would stream to a Airport Express --> digital/optical out-->DAC (probably Schitt Mod3)-->Amp-->speakers.

Will I be able to control volume on my phone. I'm not going into a pre-amp or integrated receiver that might have a separate volume control. I have searched everywhere I can think, and I cannot figure out how volume is controlled in a stream.

I have two Homepods and of course I can control volume, but that may be some other code sent along with the music signal. All answers welcome, but a technical one would be great.
    Yup. The HomePlay receiver selection screen has discrete volume controllers for each AirPlay 2 device. While I can't group the items close together on this screenshot, here's what I'm talking about.

non_sense
  • Reply 2 of 4
     Thanks for the reply.  Are you playing through the mini-Toslink optical out or through the DAC built into the airport express on “Mike’s Airport express”?

I can understand how volume can be adjusted digitally.  I just want to make sure that that’s what’s getting done. 

It sounds like the Apple Music stream comes in as bits, it gets processed by some DSP  system (that can mathematically lower the volume), and is then sent to the DAC within the airport express for analog conversion . 

If you use the mini Toslink output, the bitstream just gets sent to your external DAC (which is what I’m trying to do).  

That little 3.5 MM Jack on the AE is pretty brilliant.   I hope Apple comes out with an AE replacement Airport 2 bridge soon.  I don’t know how long my circa 2012 device will last. 
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,874administrator
    non_sense said:
     Thanks for the reply.  Are you playing through the mini-Toslink optical out or through the DAC built into the airport express on “Mike’s Airport express”?

I can understand how volume can be adjusted digitally.  I just want to make sure that that’s what’s getting done. 

It sounds like the Apple Music stream comes in as bits, it gets processed by some DSP  system (that can mathematically lower the volume), and is then sent to the DAC within the airport express for analog conversion . 

If you use the mini Toslink output, the bitstream just gets sent to your external DAC (which is what I’m trying to do).  

That little 3.5 MM Jack on the AE is pretty brilliant.   I hope Apple comes out with an AE replacement Airport 2 bridge soon.  I don’t know how long my circa 2012 device will last. 
    This is through the DAC. I'll break out my mini-TOSlink cable a bit later in the weekend.