Apple Pay under scrutiny by EU for possible anti-competitive payment practices

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 40
    john f.john f. Posts: 111member
    How large is Apple's iPhone EU marketshare anyways? Android is so large in marketshare (75%) that one can hardly call any practice of Apple anti-competitive. Choice is given by going Android. How else is a small player like Apple ever going to go against the larger market forces if they can't offer iPhone exclusive stuff? It becomes their competitive edge.
    edited October 2019 juan_siltaanantksundarambshank
  • Reply 22 of 40
    I think the desire for EU companies to have direct access to NFC chip is twofold. 1) they don’t want to pay Apple to be included in the Wallet app.  But more importantly 2) they want access to data!!!  They don’t like that the transactions are tokenized and that they can’t build a profile of their customers. That’s the real reason why they’re raising such a stink. 
    chiacornchipbshank
  • Reply 23 of 40
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,703member
    It's only consultation at the moment. No formal investigation has been launched. Some comments are a bit premature. The EU is simply doing what it has to do.
  • Reply 24 of 40
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    The EU is complete garbage, and it's only getting worse and they're getting more bold as their little experiment continues to fail and to implode.

The UK is doing the right thing in separating from those lunatics, if the UK is actually successful in tearing away from them.
    SpamSandwichcornchipanantksundaramseanjbshank
  • Reply 25 of 40
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    apple ][ said:
    The EU is complete garbage, and it's only getting worse and they're getting more bold as their little experiment continues to fail and to implode.

The UK is doing the right thing in separating from those lunatics, if the UK is actually successful in tearing away from them.
    World government will never happen as it goes against human nature. We are tribal, we are territorial, we are warlike. The fracturing of the EU is proof of that. But the termite hill dwellers will never give up trying to install the hive mentality in their fellow humans.
    apple ][
  • Reply 26 of 40
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,096member
    g3. said:
    Limiting usage of NFC for 3rd parties is clearly anti-competition behavior. 
    You are of course entitled to your opinion, but that doesn't mean your opinion doesn't reek of ignorance.

iPhone users stick with Apple because of the the trust that Apple worked hard to establish with its user base.  Folks like you feel entitled to take someone else's work and use it for your own and not pay for it.

The banks that work with Apple Pay have the best of both worlds.  Apple handles all the security of the transaction while the banks deal with the financial part of the transaction.  How much are the banks saving every year due to the reduction in fraud?  How often does one hear in the news about some financial institution getting hacked?  Do you hear that about Apple?  No.

There are plenty of alternatives out there if you want NFC access.  In terms of device penetration, Apple is a small-time player compared to the Android world.  The ONLY reason people like you raise a stink about Apple's walled-garden is that even with all the countless Android devices capable of NFC payments, Apple is the only ecosystem where money can be made.  

Let Android deal with the mess that is their payment system.  Apple's solution is simple and elegant.  Last thing iPhone users need are 3rd-party people creating security holes.  If one thing has been proven time-and-time again is that banks have zero knowledge in securing anything.  Thanks but no thanks.

cornchipanantksundarambshank
  • Reply 27 of 40
    darkvaderdarkvader Posts: 1,146member
    urahara said:
    g3. said:
    These stupid thumb-twiddlers who can't innovate to save their asses, going after US tech again...

Payments now. Pathetic. And ridiculous.
    Limiting usage of NFC for 3rd parties is clearly anti-competition behavior. It’s like to say you will use only Safari at your iPhone because of security. It will not go like that forever. It can’t. Apple is just milking NFC payments and keep all generated on iPhone for themselves. 
    More to say, apple pay didn’t improve “payment culture” in Europe much. When US was using swipe and sign, EU was doing chip and pin payments (more secure) and contactless payments were pretty common long before apple pay. In general, acquiring and payment services as such are more developed in EU - that’s for the innovations.
    Main point is that Apple is really limiting developers to make use of NFC and deliver additional services on top of apple pay...
    Apple spends money to build NFC into iPhones. I would say it’s just wrong to request them to give it away go free. 
    If I build a house, I am not going to keep the door open so that everyone could stay overnight. At least I will be taking money for that. But... that would limit the developers....
    That's idiotic.  First, NFC predates Apple Pay.  Second, they're hardly giving it away for free, have you seen the price of an iPhone? 

It's not Apple's iPhone.  It's MY iPhone.  I bought it, I paid for it, I should be able to use it how I want, not how Apple wants. 

Apple builds some great stuff.  But once Apple sells that stuff, it's not Apple's stuff any more.  Locking it down is not reasonable.
  • Reply 28 of 40
    darkvader said:
    urahara said:
    g3. said:
    These stupid thumb-twiddlers who can't innovate to save their asses, going after US tech again...

Limiting usage of NFC for 3rd parties is clearly anti-competition behavior. It’s like to say you will use only Safari at your iPhone because of security. It will not go like that forever. It can’t. Apple is just milking NFC payments and keep all generated on iPhone for themselves. 
    More to say, apple pay didn’t improve “payment culture” in Europe much. When US was using swipe and sign, EU was doing chip and pin payments (more secure) and contactless payments were pretty common long before apple pay. In general, acquiring and payment services as such are more developed in EU - that’s for the innovations.
    Main point is that Apple is really limiting developers to make use of NFC and deliver additional services on top of apple pay...
    Apple spends money to build NFC into iPhones. I would say it’s just wrong to request them to give it away go free. 
    If I build a house, I am not going to keep the door open so that everyone could stay overnight. At least I will be taking money for that. But... that would limit the developers....
    That's idiotic.  First, NFC predates Apple Pay.  Second, they're hardly giving it away for free, have you seen the price of an iPhone? 

It's not Apple's iPhone.  It's MY iPhone.  I bought it, I paid for it, I should be able to use it how I want, not how Apple wants. 

Apple builds some great stuff.  But once Apple sells that stuff, it's not Apple's stuff any more.  Locking it down is not reasonable.
    I think you'll find that the EULA you agreed to when you first set up your phone, states otherwise...
  • Reply 29 of 40
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    darkvader said:

It's not idiotic, it makes perfect sense.

Nobody forced you to buy an Apple phone if you wish to have it fully open and be able to do whatever you want with it. Go buy yourself some Android piece of trash instead, if that's how you roll.

Many Apple users use Apple products, including the iPhone, specifically because it's locked down in certain areas and more secure than other phones out there. You sound like you would be better off with some other kind of company, because I would venture to guess that the vast majority of Apple users disagree with you. 

Apple keeps a tight control over its products and what it allows to be done with them, and that's a good thing. Having a Wild West like chaotic situation like Android, with a bunch of lunatics and criminals running around and doing whatever they please does not sound very appealing or secure.
    edited October 2019 cornchipanantksundaram
  • Reply 30 of 40
    g3. said:

Wow. That’s a rather stupid set of arguments. Security matters. The EU milks it to death for all of its digital policies (and more often than not, uses it as an excuse).

More importantly: if Apple is not terribly relevant since the Europe “payment culture” is already developed — as you claim — what’s the need for this silly boondoggle?

These are the types of arguments that will leave you permanently in the digital backwaters. Enjoy it.
    apple ][
  • Reply 31 of 40
    urahara said:
    I am from EU. And I am ashamed of this news. WTF, really. 
    We need EU commissioner Margrethe Vestager  to resign!
    She’s overreaching. I don’t think this — along with the planned digital revenue taxes — will end well for the EU.
    edited October 2019 apple ][
  • Reply 32 of 40

g3. said:

To other comments: Contactless payments (NFC) was in EU before apple pay and terminals were pretty common. Which made the adoption much smoother than in the us where nfc terminals were not available that much... blah blah
    Nonsense. Half the retailers and restaurants I encountered in France, Italy, and Germany — all countries where I traveled post-AppleCard — have not enabled ‘contactless’. Not by a long shot.

You’re badly exaggerating.
    apple ][
  • Reply 33 of 40
    Don't worry.  The EU will be gone soon. I'm trying my best to make that happen :)
  • Reply 34 of 40
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    It’s not even a formal investigation, just some pre-feedback. The sky is not falling yet. 
  • Reply 35 of 40
    seanjseanj Posts: 318member
    apple ][ said:

Another example of why us Brits are trying to leave the undemocratic meddlesome clutches of the EU.
  • Reply 36 of 40
    xyzzy01xyzzy01 Posts: 134member

When you're using a dominant position in one market to gain market share in another, it's no surprise that you will get looked at.
  • Reply 37 of 40
    jbdragon said:
    If I have to load up some other company app so that I can then pay using it and NFC, why bother? I just want to hold the phone over the terminal, or for my mostly my Watch and BAM, just pay. So if Apple opened NFC access up for others in this area, it changes nothing.

Now if Apple opened it up for other type of things, great. This is typical EU sticking there nose into yet another American Company to steal more money. Seems the EU just can't innovate on their own. I guess it's rolling back to Apple's turn once again.

Here's a idea, you BANKS go out and release your own phone for people to buy and do whatever YOU want with your own product!! Oh wait, you want someone else to do all the word, and Innovate and spend tons on R&D and then just benefit from it.
    I don't necessarily agree that Apple should be forced to open up NFC but what you are describing isn't what would happen. If it works like on Android, you could set the default app to be your bank rather than Apple Pay.

Considering the UK is leaving the EU and most continental markets are 80% Android, I doubt this will go beyond an investigation.
  • Reply 38 of 40
    bshankbshank Posts: 255member
    darkvader said:
    urahara said:
    g3. said:

Go choose to buy something else if you don’t like it. You do not own iOS so your individual opinion cannot change what Apple owns and implements for millions of customers.
  • Reply 39 of 40
    g3.g3. Posts: 2member
    g3. said:

Me: let me add a bolt and a few locks to my store’s doors and windows FOR MY SECURITY and to keep my business safe, and thieves out
    EU: that is anti-competitive because it doesn’t allow other store owners to use your store to sell their stuff
    Me: *slap forehead*
    Nice analogy, I would see it as... I invent highway, then I rush to make it open for all kinds of cars on top of my model, so as many people can use it as possible. Every driver is  happy and paying tolls for the highway, because it so great and better than country roads. After few years when highway is already very popular SUVs are invented. I wait a year and develop shiny nice Escalade SUV.

me: From now on, only my Escalade SUV is allowed on my highway...
    you: all kinds of cars can, but now only yours SUV?
    me: yeah... sure... my highway, if you don't like it, use country road again or don't drive SUV. ...
    you: but, it's not fair, I want to have Durango, it's cheaper and its ok for me
    me: .... nah ... Escalade is much more safer for you... use it... I know what is best for you and your Durango could damage the highway and what is worse, you can get injured...
    you: but i know how to drive... it's my responsibility
    me: .... nah
    So is this ok? Who will be the biggest producer of SUVs no matter the price or later maybe quality?