BlackBerry phones could be gone for good as last major firm stops making them

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 45
    spheric said:
    razorpit said:
    1st said:
    to my knowledge, the BB phone does have multi-language KB and OS to match up.  you can buy the unit in the respected region and OS came from the local carrier with corrected version (usually 3 to 5 month late than the NA OS release).  I still has Arabic/English dual KB for BBOS7.  However, I only uploaded english OS to save space.  To say BB was not world phone is not accurate.  IMHO.  
    That’s like saying a VW is a pickup truck with a built in hard cover. Look when I fold the back seats down I have a flat load bed. I can put bags of cement back there...
    Blackberries came with various localised keyboard layouts internationally, just like every other computing device. 
    So I would have to have four blackberries then? So that I could have the buttons that match the languages I use. Again, I do not see a world phone in one that has one language printed on the keyboard. I do not doubt they had other languages printed after the English ones were out, I am talking about using another language with the device with PHYSICAL keys that had ONE language printed on it (maybe two?). All my Czech friends had English keyboards because ... no Czech keyboard. The OS supported that language, but not the physical keyboard. So to my estimation, not a real world phone. 

watto_cobra
  • Reply 42 of 45
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,572member
    revenant said:
    spheric said:
    razorpit said:
    1st said:
    to my knowledge, the BB phone does have multi-language KB and OS to match up.  you can buy the unit in the respected region and OS came from the local carrier with corrected version (usually 3 to 5 month late than the NA OS release).  I still has Arabic/English dual KB for BBOS7.  However, I only uploaded english OS to save space.  To say BB was not world phone is not accurate.  IMHO.  
    That’s like saying a VW is a pickup truck with a built in hard cover. Look when I fold the back seats down I have a flat load bed. I can put bags of cement back there...
    Blackberries came with various localised keyboard layouts internationally, just like every other computing device. 
    So I would have to have four blackberries then? So that I could have the buttons that match the languages I use. Again, I do not see a world phone in one that has one language printed on the keyboard. I do not doubt they had other languages printed after the English ones were out, I am talking about using another language with the device with PHYSICAL keys that had ONE language printed on it (maybe two?). All my Czech friends had English keyboards because ... no Czech keyboard. The OS supported that language, but not the physical keyboard. So to my estimation, not a real world phone. 

Well, yes — or you’d just use the physical layout to type the other language. 

Have you ever used a computer in the last 35 years? Like that. 

I used to type German on my US-localised keyboard for years (the Mac made it easy, of course). I’ve been using German localised keyboards for decades now, but it’s not been a problem typing English or Japanese on them. 

At any rate: if you’re arguing that screen input with varying keyboard layouts is a better option than fixed hardware buttons, then, well — that was literally the FIRST POINT made by Steve Jobs when he introduced the iPhone, to explain why it looked the way it did. 

I thought the point was that BlackBerry had limited international appeal, which is utterly untrue. Every single corporate user here in Germany had one before iPhone was introduced. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 43 of 45
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,528member
    1st said:
    Hmm, anyone in Lost signal admit it is their own fault to lead downturn... few finger pointing observed, but nobody admit he/she contributed land slide (outage was more to blame...etc. etc. timing is bad.. ). I rest my case. - interview only show the willingness to talk on the surface, but not the under the table dirt...
    A lot of it was due to Lazaridis. When he wanted the Storm, he wanted it in 12 moths, but his engineers said that he knew it takes 18 months. When he got the samples, they seemed to work fine, because engineering samples are always hand assembled and adjusted. They’re prototypes intended to show whether the concepts work. But there’s a lot of work after that to actually get them production ready.

in this case that didn’t happen because of the rush, and so it never worked properly. The screen needed, according to Lazaridis, to have feedback. So they put a switch in the middle of the screen, at the back. Press the screen, and the entire screen moved back a bit, and the switch clicked. Problem was that the further you got from the center, the less that center moved. The switch acted as a pivot. At some point, the switch never closed, and no click, no character. That was the biggest disaster RIM had. It directly led to the ouster of RIM at Verizon, to be replaced by the Droid.

also, in the US, the Blackberry had 40% of the smartphone market, which at the time was mostly large organizations. But around the rest of the world, it was mostly Symbian. The Blackberry never was very popular anywhere else to the extent it was here.
    edited February 2020 sphericgatorguywatto_cobra
  • Reply 44 of 45
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,572member
    melgross said:
     in the US, the Blackberry had 40% of the smartphone market, which at the time was mostly large organizations. But around the rest of the world, it was mostly Symbian. The Blackberry never was very popular anywhere else to the extent it was here.
    Huh. I was under the impression that it was higher in the rest of the world, but peak was in 2009 at 20% global market share, so that checks out. 

Interesting. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 45 of 45
    1st1st Posts: 443member