New iPad Pro models with larger screens are under development

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 60
    Sanctum1972Sanctum1972 Posts: 112unconfirmed, member
    tmay said:
    polymnia said:
    Please, bigger tablets! At 15-16” there will be few reasons for artists to select a MacBook Pro now that the software is beginning with to catch up. I’m in that camp. I’d love an iPad with the screen size of an MBP with the pencil and all that unlocks creatively. 
    A 16:9, 16 inch iPad Pro to match a future 16 MBP would be very well received in the creative community, and given the rumored timeframe, perhaps Apple will employ micro LED technology into both screens. 
    Exactly this! What I've been saying for a long time to friends in the last few years due to a missing gap. Should've been done a long time ago. The 15.9 or 16.9 iPad Pro would be much more appropriate for the creative industry from storyboarding, comic illustration, industrial design, page layout design and so on. The 12.9 is not bad for what it offers but I keep finding myself pinching and zooming to see the entire image and it's not always to scale at 100% for print based illustration work. I do mostly work on 11 x 14 or 11 x 17 ( the latter is the industry standard for comic book illustrators ) and the 12.9 inch can't let you see the whole thing all at once in 'real time'. 

It would certainly compete with Wacom or XP-Pen which is already ahead of that curve for larger tablets. I'm not knocking Wacom and have used their products for years so I really appreciate the old school Intuos models for practical reasons as the current versions have multi-touch, bluetooth and toothy surface. Best part? Their stylus does not need recharging at all. The battery in the Intuos tablet drains very little over time ( in my case ) when I work on my 2019 iMac hooked to a second LG 4K screen. It gets the job done.

My 12.9 iPad ( original model ) gets more use due to portability but lacks a larger screen estate and the Pencil needs recharging. Most drawing apps drain the iPad when I use them. I've tried to do vector graphic design on the iPad Pro but it didn't feel 'right' so using Affinity Designer or Publisher for logo work or page layout on my iMac was much more natural and easier to manage for precision purposes. If one wanted to do a page layout spread of a magazine in tabloid ( 11 x 17 ), you can't do it on the 12.9 which means you have to zoom out to view it entirely. A 11 x 17 or 16.9 inch iPad Pro would fit the tabloid document size perfectly in 'real time' for CMYK or RGB work. 

I find that disturbing that Apple would take this long to realize that point since releasing the original iPad Pro. 
  • Reply 42 of 60
    charlesncharlesn Posts: 876member
    jcc said:
    No, you already forgot what Jobs’ first task when he returned to Apple? He drastically cut the numerous models of everything down to a handful. He mantra was focus. There’s a complete lack of focus now. Instead of a couple of iPhone sizes, there are now 5. Instead of a couple of iPad sizes, they’re going for 4. This is the actions of incompetence, not customer choice. Instead of showing the customers what they need, Cook has no clue and thus needs to throw crap into the market to see what sticks.

When we talked about bringing innovation back, we’re talking about what’s next. What’s next beyond the iPad? Beyond the window dressing of bringing different sized devices and calling it innovation?

So, for those of you that are as clueless Cook, here’s something for you to ponder. This is a quote from Jobs and is posted on the wall of the Apple campus near the entrance. Cook needs to figure out the answer to this question. What’s next Cook? A decade after Steve’s death, we’re still waiting.

Ah.... a quote from the Sacred Scripture. Let's all bow our heads. Now remind me again how many different iterations of the iPod were released under Steve? (And no shade toward Steve for doing so... Apple is a BUSINESS... but let's not pretend he was averse to milking the crap out of a product with different sizes and colors when the opportunity presented itself.)

ALSO: if you're still waiting for "What's next, Cook?" I highly suggest you read an Apple quarterly report sometime for the answer. There are two entire categories of revenue--Wearables and Services--that didn't exist until years after Jobs's death. Taken together, they now account for about 50% MORE revenue than Mac and iPad revenue COMBINED, plus they generate about half the revenue of the iPhone category. But yeah, Cook hasn't done anything. 
    muthuk_vanalingamtmayroundaboutnowAppleZuludewmefastasleepFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 43 of 60
    davgreg said:
    rcfa said:
    firelock said:
    If Apple offers this it will be essentially a “desktop” iPad aimed at artist studios, designers, architects, etc.
    Yeah, at which point it simply should run macOS.
    If you want to run iPad apps, there’s Catalyst and full-screen-mode.
    The whole point of the restrictive touchUI is gone once screen sizes go up.
    No, there is a niche that it would fill nicely.
    The Surface Studio from MS is there. 

I would love an iPad OS desktop device that can tilt down for pencil use or be upright with all the proper connectivity and a regular power supply.

I would not mind that if that were to happen. I would rather they remove the camera from the iPad Pro, block all games, and make it 'creator' edition only for visual art/design, photography, etc. That would be a nice counter to the Surface Studio. If one wants to shoot images or videos, use the iPhone or actual camera and transfer the images to it. Not that hard. 
  • Reply 44 of 60
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,362member
    MplsP said:
    tmay said:
    jcc said:
    tmay said:
    jcc said:
    What a joke. This is turning that mime into reality. For those who don't know what I'm talking about, back when they first released the iPad, there was a running joke that Apple will "innovate" by introducing larger and larger-sized iPads with no other new features. Well, sounds like it's becoming true. Welcome to the Cook era folks.

This. Apple has become scared to bring anything new to market
    ...and yet Apple brought the iPad Pro 12.9 with the M1, including an XDR screen and USB 4.0, to market, thereby redefining the iPad, again...
    JinTech said:
    jcc said:
    What a joke. This is turning that mime into reality. For those who don't know what I'm talking about, back when they first released the iPad, there was a running joke that Apple will "innovate" by introducing larger and larger-sized iPads with no other new features. Well, sounds like it's becoming true. Welcome to the Cook era folks.

Why would it be a joke? As stated by Tmay, it would be well received. It will probably start at $1499 but it would be a true beast of an iPad!
    AppleZulu said:
    jcc said:

Having read these boards for a few years now, it’s hilarious to see the same myopic commentary cycle around over and over again. 

Apple brings many new things to market. First they’re chided as pointless or useless. Then after a year or two when those same devices have become ubiquitous, the peanut gallery bellyaches about the incremental updates that aren’t earth-shattering brand new products. Then, eventually, the complaints start rolling in that older versions of devices are slow and are the victims of conspiracies of planned obsolescence. Lather, rinse, repeat. 

On June 29, it will be all of 14 years ago when the original iPhone was released. Fourteen years. Prior to that, there was no iPhone, MacBook Air, iPad, Apple Watch, AppleTV, Apple Pencil, Apple App Store, HomePod, AirPod, M1 Apple Silicon, Airtag, etc. Kids in high school now were all born before any of these things existed. 

So sure, you keep believing Apple is scared to bring anything new to market. 
    No, you already forgot what Jobs’ first task when he returned to Apple? He drastically cut the numerous models of everything down to a handful. He mantra was focus. There’s a complete lack of focus now. Instead of a couple of iPhone sizes, there are now 5. Instead of a couple of iPad sizes, they’re going for 4. This is the actions of incompetence, not customer choice. Instead of showing the customers what they need, Cook has no clue and thus needs to throw crap into the market to see what sticks.

When we talked about bringing innovation back, we’re talking about what’s next. What’s next beyond the iPad? Beyond the window dressing of bringing different sized devices and calling it innovation?

So, for those of you that are as clueless Cook, here’s something for you to ponder. This is a quote from Jobs and is posted on the wall of the Apple campus near the entrance. Cook needs to figure out the answer to this question. What’s next Cook? A decade after Steve’s death, we’re still waiting.

Shorter post;

"Company that sells projected 230 M to 240 M iPhones this year in 5 different models, is proof positive that Apple has lost its focus, and it's all Cook's fault"

I think you should re-read the post and respond to what was said rather than changing the meaning to something you can slam. 
    Why do I need to reread it?

That poster made many statements that were inaccurate or contradictory; I responded with a statement the mirrors that posters sentiment.

Maybe, I should have added;

"What has Tim Cook and Apple done for us lately"

But of course, this is a rumors site, so we have many rumors of future Apple products, with rumored delivery timeframes. Meanwhile, we await the last year of the Apple's ARM transition, so maybe the poster's complaints would be better delivered a year from now.

I would also note that invoking a selected Steve Job quote is almost always a straw man argument, and it certainly is this case. It's almost like the poster doesn't believe that Apple is actually working on other things.
    williamlondonroundaboutnowfastasleep
  • Reply 45 of 60
    tmay said:
    polymnia said:
    Please, bigger tablets! At 15-16” there will be few reasons for artists to select a MacBook Pro now that the software is beginning with to catch up. I’m in that camp. I’d love an iPad with the screen size of an MBP with the pencil and all that unlocks creatively. 
    A 16:9, 16 inch iPad Pro to match a future 16 MBP would be very well received in the creative community, and given the rumored timeframe, perhaps Apple will employ micro LED technology into both screens. 
    Exactly this! What I've been saying for a long time to friends in the last few years due to a missing gap. Should've been done a long time ago. The 15.9 or 16.9 iPad Pro would be much more appropriate for the creative industry from storyboarding, comic illustration, industrial design, page layout design and so on. The 12.9 is not bad for what it offers but I keep finding myself pinching and zooming to see the entire image and it's not always to scale at 100% for print based illustration work. I do mostly work on 11 x 14 or 11 x 17 ( the latter is the industry standard for comic book illustrators ) and the 12.9 inch can't let you see the whole thing all at once in 'real time'. 

It would certainly compete with Wacom or XP-Pen which is already ahead of that curve for larger tablets. I'm not knocking Wacom and have used their products for years so I really appreciate the old school Intuos models for practical reasons as the current versions have multi-touch, bluetooth and toothy surface. Best part? Their stylus does not need recharging at all. The battery in the Intuos tablet drains very little over time ( in my case ) when I work on my 2019 iMac hooked to a second LG 4K screen. It gets the job done.

My 12.9 iPad ( original model ) gets more use due to portability but lacks a larger screen estate and the Pencil needs recharging. Most drawing apps drain the iPad when I use them. I've tried to do vector graphic design on the iPad Pro but it didn't feel 'right' so using Affinity Designer or Publisher for logo work or page layout on my iMac was much more natural and easier to manage for precision purposes. If one wanted to do a page layout spread of a magazine in tabloid ( 11 x 17 ), you can't do it on the 12.9 which means you have to zoom out to view it entirely. A 11 x 17 or 16.9 inch iPad Pro would fit the tabloid document size perfectly in 'real time' for CMYK or RGB work. 

I find that disturbing that Apple would take this long to realize that point since releasing the original iPad Pro. 
    It seems to me that the iPad can grow out of a 4:3 format in a larger size since that transition will primarily be about portability over mobility.
  • Reply 46 of 60
    AppleZuluAppleZulu Posts: 2,029member
    MplsP said:
    AppleZulu said:
    tedz98 said:
    What Apple has been avoiding for years but is the absolute solution is a MacBook Pro with a touch screen on an articulated hinge which would allow it to be used as a tablet. There is a convergence occurring between the Mac book and the iPad, especially with the M1 chip. So maybe a large iPad with a keyboard is the solution but you can’t run Mac apps on an iPad. Seems like the best solution is a touch screen Mac book pro.
    And yet, Apple has said repeatedly and recently they’re not going to do that.

MacOS is not designed for a touchscreen interface, and Mac Pro users would probably be peeved if MacOS was dumbed down to run tablet computers (which are iPads and already have an operating system).
    Steve Jobs also panned styluses when he introduced the iPhone yet Apple introduced tha Apple Pencil a few years ago. Apple has its philosophy with its products, but it’s also not blind to the market. If they think there’s a market they’ll develop the product. 
    Yes, sure, but this isn't just a position that Apple took years ago. They've repeated it this year. They're not merging iPad and MacBook. They don't develop a product for every market. They develop products for markets they're interested in. 

Also, Jobs panned the stylus as a requirement for the touch UI. When iPhone was introduced, Palm had PDAs that required a stylus to use, and Blackberry had phones that required a physical keyboard to use. Jobs ditched both in favor of the original digital UI, human fingers. Currently, iPhone still doesn't work with an Apple Pencil, and iPad does not require you to have one. In fact, its use is still completely about handwriting and drawing. It's awkward to use one to tap through normal touch UI interactions. So Apple Pencil's existence is still very much in alignment with Jobs' original position about the stylus. 
    edited June 2021 williamlondonfastasleepDetnator
  • Reply 47 of 60
    davgreg said:
    rcfa said:
    firelock said:
    If Apple offers this it will be essentially a “desktop” iPad aimed at artist studios, designers, architects, etc.

I would love an iPad OS desktop device that can tilt down for pencil use or be upright with all the proper connectivity and a regular power supply.

I would not mind that if that were to happen. I would rather they remove the camera from the iPad Pro, block all games, and make it 'creator' edition only for visual art/design, photography, etc. That would be a nice counter to the Surface Studio. If one wants to shoot images or videos, use the iPhone or actual camera and transfer the images to it. Not that hard. 
    Why would Apple look to a competitor's product that isn't remotely as successful as their own iPads and MacBooks and come to the conclusion that they'd like to ditch their approach in favor of that? It seems pretty clear that Apple doesn't see a need to "counter" a less successful product.

Also, you don't have to use the camera or install any games on your iPad if you don't want to. What purpose would it serve for Apple to remove features from their pro model that are available on their less expensive devices? I can only imagine the mocking internet chatter if Apple released a "creator" edition iPad Pro while claiming that removing the camera from it is a special feature for artists and photographers. That makes a lot of sense.
    edited June 2021 tmaywilliamlondonfastasleep
  • Reply 48 of 60
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,864member
    There is also the advice that such tablets may never actually get released at all. 

Don't you love how Gurman always says this? It's like after the fiasco of The Big Hack (which they would like us all to forget) he and Bloomberg figure that when they make stuff up they should include a disclaimer so when it turns out not to happen or be true they can point to it and say, "see, we said it might not happen."

Apple might release larger iPads, or different iPads, or even notebook form iPads, sometime in the future, but don't take anything Gurman or Bloomberg say as predictive of, well,  anything.
    dewme
  • Reply 49 of 60
    jccjcc Posts: 327member
    tmay said:
    jcc said:
    tmay said:
    jcc said:

...and yet Apple brought the iPad Pro 12.9 with the M1, including an XDR screen and USB 4.0, to market, thereby redefining the iPad, again...
    JinTech said:
    jcc said:

Why would it be a joke? As stated by Tmay, it would be well received. It will probably start at $1499 but it would be a true beast of an iPad!
    AppleZulu said:
    jcc said:

Having read these boards for a few years now, it’s hilarious to see the same myopic commentary cycle around over and over again. 

Apple brings many new things to market. First they’re chided as pointless or useless. Then after a year or two when those same devices have become ubiquitous, the peanut gallery bellyaches about the incremental updates that aren’t earth-shattering brand new products. Then, eventually, the complaints start rolling in that older versions of devices are slow and are the victims of conspiracies of planned obsolescence. Lather, rinse, repeat. 

On June 29, it will be all of 14 years ago when the original iPhone was released. Fourteen years. Prior to that, there was no iPhone, MacBook Air, iPad, Apple Watch, AppleTV, Apple Pencil, Apple App Store, HomePod, AirPod, M1 Apple Silicon, Airtag, etc. Kids in high school now were all born before any of these things existed. 

Shorter post;

"Company that sells projected 230 M to 240 M iPhones this year in 5 different models, is proof positive that Apple has lost its focus, and it's all Cook's fault"

charlesn said:
    jcc said:

"Welcome" to the Cook era? You mean the one that started ten years ago when Jobs died? And that has led to Apple becoming exponentially more successful than it ever was? THAT era? Cook has innovated two entire categories for Apple that now beat iPad + Mac revenue by about 50%, while totaling about half of iPhone revenue. Those categories are Wearables, which didn't debut until 2015, and Services, which barely drove revenue at all under Jobs. 
    AppleZulu said:
    jcc said:
    tmay said:
    jcc said:

JinTech said:
    jcc said:

AppleZulu said:
    jcc said:

So… once they’ve introduced a product line, you think they’re supposed to check that off the list, discontinue it and move on to the next thing? No, that can’t be it. 
    polymnia said:
    jcc said:
    tmay said:
    jcc said:

JinTech said:
    jcc said:

AppleZulu said:
    jcc said:

Jobs also told Tim Cook to chart his own path. 

Steve’s decision to drastically cut product was informed by a LOT of VERY DIFFERENT business realities. Apple was facing insolvency then, with far too many products that only really had a chance to sell to Apple die hards of the time. Apple is now facing the high expectations of a nearly ubiquitous customer base. It is quite reasonable for Apple to take a different strategy now. 
    If Steve were alive he would be very upset at Cook and would have seen that he made a mistake in telling Cook to do what's right, as clearly, Cook doesn't know. Steve knew that Cook wasn't a product person and yet there was no other alternative for a replacement. He was dying.

So, please think more deeply about Steve's quote above. He was talking about coming up with the next big product, not iterating on existing ones. Steve's decade at Apple was focused on what big products to introduce. Sure, in between that he worked on how to iterate on the existing ones, but his main focus was to find the next tent pole. Other than the Apple Watch and Airpod (remember the bluetooth headset?), two things Steve was already working on, Cook hasn't done a thing.

People keep talking about how great the revenues are, sure, they're supposed to be. These previous tent pole products are cash cows. Do you know what those are? If you don't, look up what that means. Apple back in the 80's also had a cash cow, the Apple II. When they fired Steve for trying to come up with a new tent pole product, the Mac, Sculley was in the same position as Cook. He was also, not a product guy. He iterated on the Apple II until he couldn't iterate on it anymore and the company went down the tubes. Unless Cook is able to "figure out what's next", history will repeat itself. Someone else will come up with the next great product to replace the iPhone and down the tubes Apple will go.

So, once again, coming up with different sized versions of the same products is not innovation, nor is iterating on the same product. You need to come up with something that no one else has. Like the iPod, the iPhone, the iPad when they were introduced.

Finally, I'll leave you all with this: https://www.theregister.com/2013/06/11/tim_cook_disses_android/
    Back when Steve was alive, Cook criticized Android along the same lines as the article above. Back then he had Steve around to find the path forward. Now, he's doing the exact same thing that he accused the Google people of doing, slinging different models and screen sizes because they are clueless about what the customer wants. Steve would have just had 2, big and small. That's it.
    edited June 2021 williamlondon
  • Reply 50 of 60
    jcc said:
    tmay said:
    jcc said:
    tmay said:
    jcc said:

JinTech said:
    jcc said:

AppleZulu said:
    jcc said:

Shorter post;

charlesn said:
    jcc said:

"Welcome" to the Cook era? You mean the one that started ten years ago when Jobs died? And that has led to Apple becoming exponentially more successful than it ever was? THAT era? Cook has innovated two entire categories for Apple that now beat iPad + Mac revenue by about 50%, while totaling about half of iPhone revenue. Those categories are Wearables, which didn't debut until 2015, and Services, which barely drove revenue at all under Jobs. 
    AppleZulu said:
    jcc said:
    tmay said:
    jcc said:

JinTech said:
    jcc said:

AppleZulu said:
    jcc said:

So… once they’ve introduced a product line, you think they’re supposed to check that off the list, discontinue it and move on to the next thing? No, that can’t be it. 
    polymnia said:
    jcc said:
    tmay said:
    jcc said:

JinTech said:
    jcc said:

AppleZulu said:
    jcc said:

Steve’s decision to drastically cut product was informed by a LOT of VERY DIFFERENT business realities. Apple was facing insolvency then, with far too many products that only really had a chance to sell to Apple die hards of the time. Apple is now facing the high expectations of a nearly ubiquitous customer base. It is quite reasonable for Apple to take a different strategy now. 
    If Steve were alive he would be very upset at Cook and would have seen that he made a mistake in telling Cook to do what's right, as clearly, Cook doesn't know. Steve knew that Cook wasn't a product person and yet there was no other alternative for a replacement. He was dying.

So, please think more deeply about Steve's quote above. He was talking about coming up with the next big product, not iterating on existing ones. Steve's decade at Apple was focusing on what big products to introduce. Sure, in between that he worked on how to iterate on the existing ones, but his main focus was to find the next tent pole. Other than the Apple Watch and Airpod (remember the bluetooth headset?), two things Steve was already working on, Cook hasn't done a thing.

People keep talking about how great the revenues are, sure, they're supposed to be. These previous tent pole products are cash cows. Do you know what those are? If you don't, look up what that means. Apple back in the 80's also had a cash cow, the Apple II. When they fired Steve for trying to come up with a new tent pole product, the Mac, Sculley was in the same position as Cook. He was also, not a product guy. He iterated on the Apple II until he couldn't iterate on it anymore and the company went down the tubes. Unless Cook is able to "figure out what's next", history will repeat itself. Someone else will come up with the next great product to replace the iPhone and down the tubes Apple will go.

So, once again, coming up with different sized versions of the same products is not innovation, nor is iterating on the same product. You need to come up with something that no one else has. Like the iPod, the iPhone, the iPad when they were introduced.

Finally, I'll leave you all with this: https://www.theregister.com/2013/06/11/tim_cook_disses_android/
    Back when Steve was alive, Cook was criticizing Android along the same lines as the article above. Back then he had Steve around to find the path forward. Now, he's doing the exact same thing that he accused the Google people of doing, slinging different models and screen sizes because they are clueless about what the customer wants. Steve would have just had 2, big and small. That's it.
    You don't seem to be able to articulate a case based on specifics, instead rather vaguely proclaiming "Apple is doing it wrong".

For a fact, iPhone revenue as a percentage of overall revenue has been consistently dropping, or other revenue rising, depending on your perspective, but selling 230 million iPhones in only 7 actual model variations, in a single year, (12 Pro Max, 12 Pro, 12, 12 Mini, 11, SE, XR) at an ASP of something like $850, is actually the definition of a lean product lineup. 

( Apple Q1, iPhone was 58% of the total revenue of $111 B, and $46 B other).

This is the part where you counter that lineup with your own fantasy iPhone lineup, that would be even more lean. Make your case!

The fact is, that Apple does have potentially disruptive products in the pipeline, specifically wearables,  and these have been more than just vague rumors.
    '
    You have yet to provide any specifics at all, so this is the part where you have yet another opportunity to make your case.

Oh, and your link doesn't actually have anything to do with Apple having too many iPhone models. It is about Android OS fragmentation, ie, too many versions to support, not hardware. Apple doesn't seem to have that problem.

From your link;

"Before CEO Tim Cook handed over the iOS 7–introduction chores to other Apple execs at the company's Worldwide Developer Conference, he took a moment to slag Android and its OS fragmentation in an appeal for the hearts and minds of developers.

"This version fragmentation is terrible for developers, as many of you know," he told the devs attending his WWDC keynote presentation in San Francisco on Monday."

edited June 2021 fastasleepwilliamlondon
  • Reply 51 of 60
    polymniapolymnia Posts: 1,080member
    jcc said:
    tmay said:
    jcc said:
    tmay said:
    jcc said:

JinTech said:
    jcc said:

AppleZulu said:
    jcc said:

Shorter post;

charlesn said:
    jcc said:

AppleZulu said:
    jcc said:
    tmay said:
    jcc said:

JinTech said:
    jcc said:

AppleZulu said:
    jcc said:

polymnia said:
    jcc said:
    tmay said:
    jcc said:

JinTech said:
    jcc said:

AppleZulu said:
    jcc said:

So, please think more deeply about Steve's quote above. He was talking about coming up with the next big product, not iterating on existing ones. Steve's decade at Apple was focused on what big products to introduce. Sure, in between that he worked on how to iterate on the existing ones, but his main focus was to find the next tent pole. Other than the Apple Watch and Airpod (remember the bluetooth headset?), two things Steve was already working on, Cook hasn't done a thing.

Back when Steve was alive, Cook criticized Android along the same lines as the article above. Back then he had Steve around to find the path forward. Now, he's doing the exact same thing that he accused the Google people of doing, slinging different models and screen sizes because they are clueless about what the customer wants. Steve would have just had 2, big and small. That's it.
    Just because you disagree with the path Tim is taking doesn’t mean Steve wouldn’t approve. And further, Steve told him not to worry about what he would think, thereby immunizing Tim from an needs for approval divined from beyond the grave by Steve loyalists. 

You might very well be right about “what Apple should do” & even “Steve would be so disappointed” but Steve specifically told Tim not to worry about that. If Steve was okay with that, I don’t see why any of the rest of us should try to co-opt Steve’s words to make a point he told Tim not to concern himself with. 
    tmayfastasleepmuthuk_vanalingamwilliamlondonDetnator
  • Reply 52 of 60
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,426member
    jcc said:

You have no idea what Jobs would say or do if he were alive today, and to suggest you do is an insult to his memory. You're either completely omitting or waving away so many of Apple's accomplishments over the past decade since his death, it's impossible to take you seriously. In the next year or so, we'll have an entire Mac lineup transitioned to Apple Silicon, a little further and their entries into VR and AR, more advances in health, and possibly transportation a few more years down the road. And that's just the stuff we know about. If you can't connect all the dots that are lining up for these technologies and where they're leading, that's your problem. 
    tmaywilliamlondonroundaboutnow
  • Reply 53 of 60
    AppleZulu said:
    davgreg said:
    rcfa said:
    firelock said:

Why would Apple look to a competitor's product that isn't remotely as successful as their own iPads and MacBooks and come to the conclusion that they'd like to ditch their approach in favor of that? It seems pretty clear that Apple doesn't see a need to "counter" a less successful product.

Also, you don't have to use the camera or install any games on your iPad if you don't want to. What purpose would it serve for Apple to remove features from their pro model that are available on their less expensive devices? I can only imagine the mocking internet chatter if Apple released a "creator" edition iPad Pro while claiming that removing the camera from it is a special feature for artists and photographers. That makes a lot of sense.
    The idea is that a larger iPad Pro that's 17 inches works better for creatives due to large screen estate while the Surface Studio is about 25 inches ( screen size ) because one can view an entire document all at once and with better multi-tasking. An iPad mini wouldn't cut it, not even a 9.7 iPad. 11 inches or 12.9 is close but needs to go bigger. And the reason I suggest removing the camera is to keep the cost down and make the iPad more 'focused' and less distracting in terms of workflow. It doesn't make sense to shoot videos or images from an iPad camera when in most cases the iPhone lens appear to be better. So why bother? The only very few people I've seen who dared use an iPad to shoot videos are parents at the local fencing tournaments, based on my experience. The others used their phones or actual camera gear, even a GoPro. 

There's nothing 'less successful' about the competitor's products because they're already out in the market and I know a professional artist who uses an XP-Pen has a 16 inch screen ( Wacom competitor ) which is cheaper and does get the job done. It doesn't make it 'less successful'. It just has its specialized use which works for him. Have you ever seen comic book artists in conventions? I have and they draw from 11 x 17 illustration boards which is the industry standard. It's old school but they still use them. And yes, I'm aware some are already working with digital tools between Wacom, Apple, XP-Pen, Huion, etc. I used the same board myself and even worked on Clip Studio Paint app on the desktop and iOS platform with custom page settings. 

Could you actually draw an 11 x 17 ( or larger ) illustration without pinching and zooming on a 12.9 inch iPad Pro? Some people might be able to do it if they turned off pinching/zooming and only to switch to another viewing angle for previewing. Pinching and zooming, say on Procreate, can screw up with your sense of scale on a project when you do that. The only way you can do that is with a larger screen.

If the iPad Pro had a 16.9 screen size, they wouldn't have to worry about pinching/zooming so much to see the entire document because the image would be in 'real time' viewed exactly how it would look. And in terms of graphic design, 12.9 size isn't practical if you try and use it for a large book or magazine page layout because one would want to view a full bleed or trimmed in actual size and how it would look exactly in print. But anything smaller like 8 x 10 or down to a business card, that's not an issue for any iPad of similar size. However, if one were to work with a document that's bigger than 15 inches or more, that's going to be an issue and one reason why I use the desktop screen to view the whole thing. 

I have never used the iPad Pro cameras for anything let alone the iPhone for photos/videos or scanning in images. And I use the Sketchboard Pro to attach the iPad for a better drawing experience on a flat surface and it works far, FAR better than holding it with your hands. And yes, the pros use them for good reason. 

williamlondon
  • Reply 54 of 60
    Makes sense to me. Artists would love it. Anyone who wants to use it like a laptop would love it. The iPad is great as a laptop for users that don’t want to learn how to maintain a PC.

A 16” would need a Smart Keyboard or a stand that swings down like Microsoft’s desktop to tablet mode for touch and drawing. I don’t think something this large would work well as a tablet outside of a creative workstation unless they can shed a lot of weight.
  • Reply 55 of 60
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,345member
    There is also the advice that such tablets may never actually get released at all. 

Don't you love how Gurman always says this? It's like after the fiasco of The Big Hack (which they would like us all to forget) he and Bloomberg figure that when they make stuff up they should include a disclaimer so when it turns out not to happen or be true they can point to it and say, "see, we said it might not happen."

Apple might release larger iPads, or different iPads, or even notebook form iPads, sometime in the future, but don't take anything Gurman or Bloomberg say as predictive of, well,  anything.
    Revive iBook brand for folding iPads. 
    Dual screen device with seamless joint between the screens. Fold flat for big iPad fold in half for bedtime readings or stand up. Half open with cover that folds to up give a better screen typing experience in laptop mode. 
    tmay
  • Reply 56 of 60
    AI_liasAI_lias Posts: 435member
    tmay said:
    AI_lias said:
    Ah, was looking forward to Apple finding a new reason of increasing the device prices with features nobody really needs. How about making a decently priced laptop with 16” screen instead. 
    FFS,

There's obviously a 16 inch MBP on the horizon, which should arrive with the next generation M2, likely by September, and I doubt that the price is going to be any more extravagant than current models.
    I said decently-priced, not $2400 (and even that with only 512 GB.)
  • Reply 57 of 60
    I for one would love to see something along the lines of a 14.5” iPad Pro. About 12% heavier and larger screen than the current 12.9”, it would also be 1/3 the weight of my 16” MacBook Pro while only giving up 10% of the screen size. Which would make handing it to someone to see what I’m looking at much easier than it is now. And eliminate the frustration of them trying to scroll by swiping on the MBP screen. The keyboard could easily be the same size as on my MBP. And I’m sure a functional iPadOS/macOS hybrid isn’t far off. 
  • Reply 58 of 60
    AI_lias said:
    tmay said:
    AI_lias said:
    Ah, was looking forward to Apple finding a new reason of increasing the device prices with features nobody really needs. How about making a decently priced laptop with 16” screen instead. 
    FFS,

There's obviously a 16 inch MBP on the horizon, which should arrive with the next generation M2, likely by September, and I doubt that the price is going to be any more extravagant than current models.
    I said decently-priced, not $2400 (and even that with only 512 GB.)
    Value is subjective, so "decently priced" is in the eye of the beholder.

Fair enough.

mattinoz
    said:

Revive iBook brand for folding iPads. 
    Dual screen device with seamless joint between the screens. Fold flat for big iPad fold in half for bedtime readings or stand up. Half open with cover that folds to up give a better screen typing experience in laptop mode. 

That is an astute observation, that I would hope Apple has made as well. The rumors of a haptic keyboard integrated into one of the screens would be a welcome addition.
    edited June 2021
  • Reply 59 of 60
    jcc said:
    tmay said:
    jcc said:
    tmay said:
    jcc said:

JinTech said:
    jcc said:

AppleZulu said:
    jcc said:

Shorter post;

charlesn said:
    jcc said:

AppleZulu said:
    jcc said:
    tmay said:
    jcc said:

JinTech said:
    jcc said:

AppleZulu said:
    jcc said:

polymnia said:
    jcc said:
    tmay said:
    jcc said:

JinTech said:
    jcc said:

AppleZulu said:
    jcc said:

If Steve were alive he would ...
    I'm going to stop you right there. Steve Jobs is dead. He isn't here to defend himself against people who employ his name in an appeal to authority fallacy. 

If there's anything anyone should know about Steve Jobs, it's that he tended to chart his own course. As such, if Steve Jobs were alive, even the people who knew him personally would not be able to predict what he would think or do now, given current inputs. 

If anyone knows anything about carrying on after someone has died, it's that you shouldn't try to ossify that person's perspective at some point in their life and use that as the gospel for what you should do for years to come. 

Whether it's Steve Jobs or any other intelligent person who has given up the ghost, if they were alive now, they'd want you to live your own life, not theirs.
    edited June 2021 tmaymuthuk_vanalingamwilliamlondonroundaboutnow
  • Reply 60 of 60
    thttht Posts: 5,494member
    steveald said:
    I for one would love to see something along the lines of a 14.5” iPad Pro. About 12% heavier and larger screen than the current 12.9”, it would also be 1/3 the weight of my 16” MacBook Pro while only giving up 10% of the screen size. Which would make handing it to someone to see what I’m looking at much easier than it is now. And eliminate the frustration of them trying to scroll by swiping on the MBP screen. The keyboard could easily be the same size as on my MBP. And I’m sure a functional iPadOS/macOS hybrid isn’t far off. 
    A little nitpick is that 14.5" display is 25% larger, and therefore about 25% heaver, than the current 12.9". Area scales by the square of the ratio of diagonals. Since it is assumed the thickness will stay the same, the weight scales about the same as the area. A 14.5" iPad will be about 1.9 lb.

As a software keyboard only user, I'd like to see: 11.5", 13.5" and 15.5" 5:4 aspect ratio iPad Pros. At those diagonals and a 5:4 aspect ratio, it means the long edge of the display can have 12, 14 and 16 keys respectively. Moreover, I'd like Apple to add an ortholinear keyboard option, with fixed key location and sizes. No morphing.

Apple still needs to drive the pricing on the iPad Pro models down though. It really needs to be something like $700, $900 and $1100 for those sizes. If iPadOS had more PC like features (page file, arbitrary app view sizes, backgrounding, terminal, VMs, extended external display support), a 15" class model can probably sustain a $1500 starting price point, but I don't think there will be a lot of buyers with current iPadOS 15 features.

There can be a lot that can be done in the tablet category. They can have iPads at something like 8" and 10" 18:9 aspect ratios that would be a little more suited to watching video. Something of a nice middle ground between a 21:9 movie and 16:9 TV aspect ratio. With it being so wide, people will be able to thumb type along the short edge. And, they should have a 6" iPad too. They used to advertise them as iPod touch devices. ;) But the world is awash in iPhones and really no need anymore. Or perhaps have an iPad mini lineup with multiple display sizes.
    muthuk_vanalingam