iPhone SE, iPad Air, MacBook Air, more - what to expect from Apple's spring event

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited March 2022
Apple's spring event is on March 8, and is rumored to feature a 5G iPhone SE among several product launches. Here's what you can expect to see during Apple's first event of 2022.

iPad Air, iPhone SE 5G, MacBook Air, 13-inch MacBook Pro, Mac mini

Apple typically holds some form of special event in the spring, as the first event of its kind for the year. While fall's event typically features the flagship iPhone line, and the mid-year WWDC focuses on Apple's operating systems and software, the early event can end up covering many different areas of Apple's hardware empire.

Rumors have already put forward guesses and speculation about what Apple's next generation of products will be like as they arrive throughout 2022. This is what AppleInsider believes will be making an appearance at the March 8 Apple event.

iPhone SE

An updated iPhone SE is one of the most likely items to be included in the special event, with numerous rumors since October 2021 claiming it will be arriving sometime in spring 2022. Naturally, it would be a main feature of a spring special event, and listings at the EEC regulatory database certainly indicate it could be on the way soon.

There has also been a claim it is being actively tested in India.

The iPhone SE (Second Generation) from 2020 could gain 5G in 2022.
The iPhone SE (Second Generation) from 2020 could gain 5G in 2022.

The chief change for the model is thought to be 5G connectivity, making it a value-based option for consumers wanting to use the faster carrier networks. Rumors certainly insist on 5G support, but not if the high-speed mmWave element will be included.

Aside from 5G, rumors point to the iPhone SE as mainly a specifications bump in nature. That could entail being equipped with the A15 SoC, changes in storage, and some other internal features of the current-generation iPhone models.

As for the appearance, it seems that the smartphone will retain its existing appearance and 4.7-inch display. There has been some talk of a design update with a larger screen, but in a future release.

On March 4, analyst Ming-Chi Kuo outlined expectations for the iPhone SE, including its 64, 128, and 256GB storage capacities, A15, 5G support, similar form factor, and white, black, and red colorings.

iPad Air

The "iPad Air 5" is also a strong contender for a spring event, with it too appearing in rumors about a potential spring launch. Like the iPhone SE, it too has seemingly surfaced in EEC database listings, hinting at a potential launch in the near future.

Apple's iPad Air could have a spec bump in 2022.
Apple's iPad Air could have a spec bump in 2022.

Current speculation about the fifth-generation model includes upgrades to enable 5G support, along with an upgrade to the A15 Bionic chip. It's also tipped to include a 12-megapixel FaceTime HD camera with Center Stage support, though there was some early talk from July 2021 about using a dual-camera system on the back, a 10.9-inch Liquid Retina display, and the continuing use of Touch ID.

Rumors have also been indecisive about the display's technology. While some rumors said an OLED iPad Air was out of the question, there has also been the suggestion OLED for iPad use is also being worked on, which may or may not include the iPad Air.

However, this is still unlikely, as Apple is unlikely to include a display technology that will out-perform the mini LED display used in the iPad Pro range.

Mac mini

A major update to the Mac mini has been rumored for some time, with claims from mid-2021 including a radical redesign of the smallest Mac Apple currently sells.

While retaining the same general square puck shape, the design of the Mac mini is thought to include a metal rim and a polycarbonate top, along with rubber feet instead of a circular base.

An AppleInsider render of the rear of an updated Mac mini
An AppleInsider render of the rear of an updated Mac mini

Around the back are thought to be considerably more ports than the first M1 Mac mini, with four Thunderbolt ports accompanied by two USB-A ports, Ethernet, and HDMI. Borrowing the idea from the 24-inch iMac, it is also speculated that the Mac mini could inherit the magnetic charging connection.

A report earmarked the model for a spring event launch due to it being among the first Apple Silicon models to ship, which makes sense considering the timeframe and later Apple Silicon developments. M1 Pro and M1 Max versions have been offered in rumors, though it could use a further-developed M1 chip, or an M2 release.

Two days before the event, Mark Gurman reiterated expectations of a Mac mini launch, one that could use an M1 Pro or M2 chip.

MacBook Air

Another of the earliest Apple Silicon releases, the MacBook Air could probably get an update in the spring event.

Much like the Mac mini, the updated MacBook Air is anticipated to undergo a significant redesign. The most obvious is a color change, with the 24-inch iMac possibly inspiring that front, as speculated since mid-2021.

An AppleInsider render of an updated MacBook Air
An AppleInsider render of an updated MacBook Air

Along with the color, the 13.3-inch display could be updated to include mini-LED backlighting like the 14-inch MacBook Pro and 16-inch MacBook Pro. A notch in the display has also been posited, to make the screen fill up more of the displayable surface while still providing webcam functionality.

That webcam is expected to be a 1080p component with an ultra-wide lens, providing Center Stage support. MagSafe support has also been touted in rumors.

On the inside, the MacBook Air is thought to sport the M2 chip, which will apparently be better than the M1, but not necessarily the M1 Pro nor M1 Max.

13-inch MacBook Pro

There have been relatively few rumors about a refresh of the 13-inch MacBook Pro, but it too could appear at the spring event. As part of the initial Apple Silicon trio of releases, it has been identified as one of the models that stands a good chance of an update soon.

As a similar device to the MacBook Air, it will probably have the same internal updates, such as the M2 chip and a new FaceTime camera.

A current-generation 13-inch MacBook Pro
A current-generation 13-inch MacBook Pro

However, one report from February 6 claims that the 13-inch MacBook Pro won't have the same overhaul as the 14-inch and 16-inch counterparts. It apparently won't have the same mini LED ProMotion-equipped display as the larger models, and it will have lesser storage and processing capabilities to keep the price low as an entry-level model.

The lack of significant changes could be due to Apple intending to introduce a 14-inch MacBook Pro variant later in 2022 that could become the new entry-level MacBook Pro model, a leaker claimed on January 17.

Despite the potential replacement, it seems that Apple wants to progress with a 13-inch model update soon. On February 8, a report said Chinese component suppliers worked through the country's Lunar New Year holiday to meet a March release for a MacBook Pro update.

Mark Gurman also said in a newsletter on February 20 that the 13-inch MacBook Pro update would form part of the event.

Apple External Monitor

One of the more outside-chance items to appear, Apple has been rumored to be working on a successor to the Pro Display XDR for a while. This included claims of multiple monitors in development, and even a cheaper alternative to the Pro Display XDR itself.

Up until February, there was no indication of when it could launch, but pre-event rumors in March went into overdrive.

Apple's Pro Display XDR could be joined by a second monitor.
Apple's Pro Display XDR could be joined by a second monitor.

On March 4, Apple was claimed to be working on an "Apple Studio Display," one that would have a high 7K resolution. This would be higher than the Pro Display XDR's 6K screen, though it is unknown if the new screen would be any bigger or be the same 32-inch size with a higher pixel density.

That monitor, allegedly referred to as the J327, would have a dedicated Apple Silicon processor to handle the image.

Two days later on March 6, Mark Gurman offered that a new "next-generation external display" could turn up at the event, as he was "told Apple actually completed work on it months ago." However, Gurman didn't offer any specifications about the display to indicate if it was the Apple Studio Display or another output device.

One day before the event, on March 7, renders surfaced claiming to show Apple's new display that would allegedly appear in the presentation. The image seems to show a 27-inch monitor inspired by the Pro Display XDR, albeit lacking the circular hole pattern in the rear casing and having a stand design similar to the 24-inch iMac.

Mac Studio

A very late render of the so-called
A very late render of the so-called "Mac Studio"

While a new Mac mini is a firm favorite for the event, Apple may introduce another Mac, in what is being tentatively called the "Mac Studio."

Rumors from January said that Apple was working on a smaller version of the Mac Pro that runs on Apple Silicon. The device was said to have a chip with up to 40 CPU cores and a GPU with up to 128 cores.

Going back to January 2021, very early rumors said the small Mac Pro would be a G4 Cube-like concept, one that initially looked like a taller than normal Mac mini.

In March, in the days before the event, speculation about the device spiked, starting with a March 4 report using the name "Mac Studio." Said to slot in between the Mac mini and Mac Pro, it was claimed to be mostly based on the Mac mini design, with two versions using either an M1 Max or a more powerful chip.

On Monday, renders surfaced for the "Mac Studio," depicting it as being roughly the same height as two stacked Mac minis, or roughly four inches tall.

The render showed it as having silver sides and a separate white top, matching previous Mac mini design rumors, with the unit also having a vented stand section.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,917member
    If Apple's anticipated products announcement is March 8th and the start of Spring is March 20th than it is not a Spring event but pre-spring event.
    fred1williamlondon
  • Reply 2 of 22
    davgregdavgreg Posts: 1,038member
    iPad Pro?
    They are due for an upgrade.

I have a MacBook Pro 14” that mostly stays home as a desktop and my iPad Pro goes everywhere. Ready to see the iPad Pro’s next act.
  • Reply 3 of 22
    davgreg said:
    iPad Pro?

I have a MacBook Pro 14” that mostly stays home as a desktop and my iPad Pro goes everywhere. Ready to see the iPad Pro’s next act.
    Not without significant improvements to iPad OS. They are already overpowered for running iPad OS in the last 2 generations (A12X/Z, M1 generations), Apple has to focus on improvements to iPad OS before launching the M2 version of iPad Pros.
    PrometheuwilliamlondonJapheyentropyscornchip
  • Reply 4 of 22
    Where's the iMac Pro? My guess is 30" ProMotion MiniLED Display with M1 Pro/Max processors.
    jas99
  • Reply 5 of 22
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,405member
    I’m expecting nothing. That way, no matter what they announce, I will be surprised. 
    bala1234jas99bandits1
  • Reply 6 of 22
    Mac Minis in multiple colors would be sweet. 
    jas99bandits1diamondblue22
  • Reply 7 of 22
    The 24" iMac is more likely to be updated than the MacBook Air. The MacBook Air is getting a redesign, which we've heard from numerous sources is not scheduled until late 2022 at the earliest. The 13" MacBook Pro is simply getting a speed bump with the M2. The baseline Mac mini may also get a bump with the M2. And the iMac is next to get a bump with the M2.

We've not heard a single rumor to indicate that the redesigned MacBook Air is coming next month. We would have.

At this moment, the rumors say:

- iPad Air 5
    - iPhone SE with 5G
    - Mac mini with M1 Pro/Max
    - 13" MacBook Pro with M2

Anything else lacks sufficient sources.

• Reply 8 of 22
    davgreg said:
    iPad Pro?

Not without significant improvements to iPad OS. They are already overpowered for running iPad OS in the last 2 generations (A12X/Z, M1 generations), Apple has to focus on improvements to iPad OS before launching the M2 version of iPad Pros.
    Not really sure what those improvements could entail though. The iPad is not becoming a Mac, and it's a long, long way away from being one. Apple seems very happy with where iPadOS is today, mostly because they know how iPad gets used. Despite all their marketing and things they've added to iPad over time, it is still largely used for watching videos. While the Mac is still used for real work.

I actually think we're starting to see the potential of iPad max out. I don't share some people's idealistic notions that it could be something that it is not.
    williamlondonjas99
  • Reply 9 of 22
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,521member
    davgreg said:
    iPad Pro?

I don’t agree. That’s something that some people say without actually having used the device, either at all, or for anything for which it’s best at.

‘’I find my iPad Pro 12.9”, m1 version to be pretty damn useful. It excels at apps that require power, RAM and storage. I do photo editing, video editing, drawing and CAD. It works very well with all.

if you’re doing work that requires the sort of complex file management that the iPad isn’t best at, then yes, it can be cumbersome. But when people just regurgitate the files nonsense, it’s annoying.
    thtPrometheubestkeptsecret
  • Reply 10 of 22
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,677member
    davgreg said:
    iPad Pro?

Apple might be limited in what devices they can stick the M2 in at the moment, as they may not have enough stock. Putting it in a single device - the 13” MBP - might be plausible now while they continue to hoard them for an all out release in the Fall.

And to the iPad “doubters”… an iPad with a keyboard and pencil is just as useful as a “computer” with a trackpad/mouse and keyboard. And can even be used without either of those peripherals if you want ultra mobility. The real limitation is the scope and depth of apps. Some developers get it and have created some truly awesome apps for the iPad. Unfortunately, most just see it as a glorified iPhone.
    tht
  • Reply 11 of 22
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,677member
    My guess…

For sures…
    the iPad Air; needs to be brought on par with the iPad mini
    high end Mac mini with M1 Pro variants, to final replace the Intel model

More likely than not…
    colorful 27” iMac with M1 Pro and M1 Max

Definite possibility…
    iPhone SE, with an A13 Apple may decide it needs to move to A15, however, it could still go another year.

Not sure…
    13” MacBook Pro with an M2… Yeah, I still don’t think M2 will be released until later in the year after all M1 Mac models have been at least announced. However, Apple may have decided to be more aggressive in the transition and based the M2 on A15 gen. cores. and want to upgrade M1 systems sooner rather than later. This MBP could be the first of them to help clear out any TouchBar components still in stock? As I’ve mentioned before, in the Fall I expect the re-release of the MacBook in two colorful versions; a small fanless model to replace the Air and a larger actively cooled model to replace this MBP.
    thtJaphey
  • Reply 12 of 22
    thttht Posts: 5,484member
    If the AR goggles are coming this Fall, and if Apple is going to make an announcement 6mo ahead of time, you'd think that Apple will want to clear the runway for WWDC to primarily concentrate on the AR goggles. Lots of features, hardware, and software for Apple to talk about for that. So, it's possible they have this Mar 8 event and, say, have an Apr 26 event.

A 2022 iPhone SE, 2022 iPad Air and a M1 Pro/Max Mac mini is going to be a pretty boring affair. It may not even go for 30 minutes. I still don't get this M2 MBP13 rumor. The 2-port MBP13 is upsell fodder. It's not enough of a benefit over the MBA, and for another $500, you get a much better machine in the MBP14.

The M2 MBA with new industrial design, the 27" iMac with new industrial design, new external monitors, M2 iPP, an Apple Silicon Mac Pro with new industrial design, the new AirPod Pro with new industrial design are going to be press event highlight fare, in addition to the so far clockwork releases of Watch and iPhones in September.
  • Reply 13 of 22
    Prometheu said:
    davgreg said:
    iPad Pro?

Not really sure what those improvements could entail though. The iPad is not becoming a Mac, and it's a long, long way away from being one. Apple seems very happy with where iPadOS is today, mostly because they know how iPad gets used. Despite all their marketing and things they've added to iPad over time, it is still largely used for watching videos. While the Mac is still used for real work.

I actually think we're starting to see the potential of iPad max out. I don't share some people's idealistic notions that it could be something that it is not.
    Apple has designed the iPad to have features in-between that of an iPhone and a Macbook. It's an artificial segmentation and Apple can implement many more features and enable people to use iPads in more ways. Here's a list of things they could do:

1. Turn background multitasking timers off or set them for much longer. An app is downloading some file but if it takes to long it will be killed if it is in the background. Let it run in the background until completion. This or that app is doing something that can take awhile, don't kill it while it is in the background.
    2. Turn on the page file so that apps can allocate larger amounts of memory. Instead of killing apps when memory is running low, these apps memory footprint would go into the page file. When you come back to it, it won't need to restart, and the state of the app will be where you last left it. A lot of the app freezing methods they have right now aren't implemented that well by all developers, so you are left with situations where an app is killed in background and it has to restart/reopen.
    3. Enable extended display support. Currently with an external monitor, either the iPad display is mirrored on the external display or it's left to an app to use the external display. By extending the display to say 1 monitor, people can have 4 apps simultaneously displayed plus SlideOver.
    4. Enable Split View for all apps. Not all iPad apps support Split View or Slide Over today because the developer doesn't want to. If they can get these apps to support Split View and Slide Over at the system level, I think it would goes a long ways in addressing multitasking complaints, even with iPadOS's windowing system.
    5. Terminal.app. Let users access the unix subsystem and let them install arbitrary unix (macOS) packages.
    6. There's a lot of security stuff limiting audio and video. Like, having a video conferencing app run in the background with video/audio on, while you can work on whatever video/audio stuff that you have.

Just lots of stuff. The only reason an iPad can't do everything a Mac can is because it is designed to be that way. It doesn't have to be that way.  :)
    williamlondonmuthuk_vanalingammelgross
  • Reply 14 of 22
    tht said:
    Prometheu said:
    davgreg said:
    iPad Pro?

Apple has designed the iPad to have features in-between that of an iPhone and a Macbook. It's an artificial segmentation and Apple can implement many more features and enable people to use iPads in more ways. Here's a list of things they could do:

1. Turn background multitasking timers off or set them for much longer. An app is downloading some file but if it takes to long it will be killed if it is in the background. Let it run in the background until completion. This or that app is doing something that can take awhile, don't kill it while it is in the background.
    2. Turn on the page file so that apps can allocate larger amounts of memory. Instead of killing apps when memory is running low, these apps memory footprint would go into the page file. When you come back to it, it won't need to restart, and the state of the app will be where you last left it. A lot of the app freezing methods they have right now aren't implemented that well by all developers, so you are left with situations where an app is killed in background and it has to restart/reopen.
    3. Enable extended display support. Currently with an external monitor, either the iPad display is mirrored on the external display or it's left to an app to use the external display. By extending the display to say 1 monitor, people can have 4 apps simultaneously displayed plus SlideOver.
    4. Enable Split View for all apps. Not all iPad apps support Split View or Slide Over today because the developer doesn't want to. If they can get these apps to support Split View and Slide Over at the system level, I think it would goes a long ways in addressing multitasking complaints, even with iPadOS's windowing system.
    5. Terminal.app. Let users access the unix subsystem and let them install arbitrary unix (macOS) packages.
    6. There's a lot of security stuff limiting audio and video. Like, having a video conferencing app run in the background with video/audio on, while you can work on whatever video/audio stuff that you have.

Just lots of stuff. The only reason an iPad can't do everything a Mac can is because it is designed to be that way. It doesn't have to be that way.  :)
    Pretty much none of that has convinced me that it would change the way anyone uses an iPad today. Even "Terminal.app" doesn't add anything to iPad without a dramatic overhaul of file system access. Going to run servers on iPad? I think not. And neither does Apple.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 15 of 22
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    Prometheu said:
    The 24" iMac is more likely to be updated than the MacBook Air. The MacBook Air is getting a redesign, which we've heard from numerous sources is not scheduled until late 2022 at the earliest. The 13" MacBook Pro is simply getting a speed bump with the M2. The baseline Mac mini may also get a bump with the M2. And the iMac is next to get a bump with the M2.

We've not heard a single rumor to indicate that the redesigned MacBook Air is coming next month. We would have.

At this moment, the rumors say:

- iPad Air 5
    - iPhone SE with 5G
    - Mac mini with M1 Pro/Max
    - 13" MacBook Pro with M2

Anything else lacks sufficient sources.

Actually, rumors for the next Air being released in “early 2022” have been circulating since at least April of last year when the new iMac 24’s came out. 
  • Reply 16 of 22
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    mjtomlin said:
    My guess…

For sures…
    the iPad Air; needs to be brought on par with the iPad mini
    high end Mac mini with M1 Pro variants, to final replace the Intel model

More likely than not…
    colorful 27” iMac with M1 Pro and M1 Max

Definite possibility…
    iPhone SE, with an A13 Apple may decide it needs to move to A15, however, it could still go another year.

Not sure…
    13” MacBook Pro with an M2… Yeah, I still don’t think M2 will be released until later in the year after all M1 Mac models have been at least announced. However, Apple may have decided to be more aggressive in the transition and based the M2 on A15 gen. cores. and want to upgrade M1 systems sooner rather than later. This MBP could be the first of them to help clear out any TouchBar components still in stock? As I’ve mentioned before, in the Fall I expect the re-release of the MacBook in two colorful versions; a small fanless model to replace the Air and a larger actively cooled model to replace this MBP.
    Your list looks pretty spot on, with only one exception. I don’t really see the MBA and MBP being released simultaneously. Apple will most likely stagger them, making a spring release of the Air probable. 

Also, not many people are talking about new HomePod Minis, but the new colors that were released last fall are in short supply pretty much everywhere. That tells me that new spring colored variants might be incoming. 
    edited February 2022
  • Reply 17 of 22
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,521member
    tht said:
    If the AR goggles are coming this Fall, and if Apple is going to make an announcement 6mo ahead of time, you'd think that Apple will want to clear the runway for WWDC to primarily concentrate on the AR goggles. Lots of features, hardware, and software for Apple to talk about for that. So, it's possible they have this Mar 8 event and, say, have an Apr 26 event.

A 2022 iPhone SE, 2022 iPad Air and a M1 Pro/Max Mac mini is going to be a pretty boring affair. It may not even go for 30 minutes. I still don't get this M2 MBP13 rumor. The 2-port MBP13 is upsell fodder. It's not enough of a benefit over the MBA, and for another $500, you get a much better machine in the MBP14.

The M2 MBA with new industrial design, the 27" iMac with new industrial design, new external monitors, M2 iPP, an Apple Silicon Mac Pro with new industrial design, the new AirPod Pro with new industrial design are going to be press event highlight fare, in addition to the so far clockwork releases of Watch and iPhones in September.
    I hope your’re right. It makes sense.
  • Reply 18 of 22
    Prometheu said:
    tht said:
    Prometheu said:
    davgreg said:
    iPad Pro?

Pretty much none of that has convinced me that it would change the way anyone uses an iPad today. Even "Terminal.app" doesn't add anything to iPad without a dramatic overhaul of file system access. Going to run servers on iPad? I think not. And neither does Apple.
    Yes, the vast majority of iPad buyers won't use these features. It's also true of Macs. The vast majority of Mac buyers don't touch Terminal.app, or have multiple monitors, or use its rather large set of features. Most users just use Macs for web stuff. It's also true of iPads. The number of users who use Shortcuts is probably in the near zero single digit percentages. Attaching an external monitor is even lower. Usage with an external keyboard, stylus or mouse is pretty low too.

Low usage doesn't mean Apple shouldn't do it. Look at it from the other way around. Adding more and more features increases the number of people who could use the device and therefore could buy it. Addressing niches will increases sales. I'm hoping Apple changes its mind. This an Apple fan forum. At least half of us here hope Apple goes in this or that direction.

For Terminal.app, I'd be fine if it was just a separate instance of DarwinOS running in a VM, and sandboxed from the rest of the filesystem. Terminal.app can have its own folder, like all the other apps, that can be accessed in Files. It would be similar to Pythonista or Pyto for iPadOS. There's more than one way to do things. With Terminal.app, you are opening up the iPad to run the rather vast number of programs/packages used for all manner of things. The filesystem access isn't the big change with shell access. It's letting people install CLI programs/packages. I imagine that really needs to be walled off for something like the iPad.
    muthuk_vanalingamtenthousandthings
  • Reply 19 of 22
    GeeAyeGeeAye Posts: 39unconfirmed, member
    wood1208 said:
    If Apple's anticipated products announcement is March 8th and the start of Spring is March 20th than it is not a Spring event but pre-spring event.

Does this mean that Australians have to wait until September?
    beowulfschmidtAKApple
  • Reply 20 of 22
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,182member
    Here’s a question. In Australia Apple is running a Back to School promotion with free AirPods with a variety of hardware, ending 7 March. 
    Miss entropy is planning on buying an iPad Air, should she buy on the weekend and get the AirPods, or miss out on the AirPods and wait for the new iPad Air?