'iPhone 15 Pro' Face ID tech will be hidden under display

Posted:
in iPhone edited March 2022
Samsung Display is allegedly creating new under-panel technology designed to hide the Face ID module under the display in 2023's "iPhone 15 Pro."

While the iPhone 14 may abandon the notch for the pill and hole-punch design, the "iPhone 15 Pro" may ditch the pill entirely.

Samsung is reportedly developing a new under-panel camera component that would allow Apple to effectively hide the Face ID module behind the screen.

The new technology will first roll out to Samsung's Fold lineup in 2023, according to The Elec.

According to the report, Samsung is collaborating with Canada's OTI Luminotics on the technology, which includes "a metal patterning layer that uses cathode mask materials."

In April 2021, analyst Ming-Chi Kuo stated that he believed Apple would introduce a Face ID system that sits below the display in 2023.

Display supply chain analyst Ross Young says that Apple won't shift to under-display sensors until 2024 in the "iPhone 16." However, development is expected to start with samples submitted soon.

We reconfirmed again that there is not expected to be under panel IR for iPhones until 2024, iPhone 16. Gotta start the development and start submitting samples now though.

— Ross Young (@DSCCRoss)

Face ID isn't the only technology rumored to be moving under-display, either. Many, including Kuo, have suggested that Touch ID will return to iPhone in 2023, but will be placed under-display rather than in a Home Button.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    M68000M68000 Posts: 728member
    Sorry,  not buying the idea Apple would have one year of “pill” and “punch” hole and then just get rid of it in just a year.  The current notch is now smaller on latest phones and most people are used to it.  I was very much against the notch early on when it came out, but have since become used to it.  There is at least a symmetry or balance to how the notch looks.  I don’t think I could say that about a pill and/or punch hole.  In addition,  the notch is now a style cue,  instantly it says iPhone.  They should wait until a full under screen option is ready before getting rid of notch.   To me,  adding the option of under screen Touch ID is more interesting, have both biometric options.
    edited March 2022 lkrupptht
  • Reply 2 of 9
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Already discussed this subject and most people commented Apple would not release both under screen touchid and under screen faceid in same year unless the under screen touchid put in iPhone SE4 and under screen faceid puts in iPhone 15.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member
    Like most I’m used to the notch, that doesn’t mean that it’s not a compromise I’d love to see disappear.

I’d thought about buying a 14 Pro this year to replace my XS Max, but maybe it’s worth holding out another year.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,302member
    Don’t know why Apple is bothering to replace  a notch with a pill and hole punch design. Why not just keep the notch until there’s either just a hole punch or nothing.
    edited March 2022
  • Reply 5 of 9
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member
    bluefire1 said:
    Don’t know why Apple is bothering to replace  a notch with a pill and hole punch design. Why not just keep the notch until there’s either just a hole punch or nothing.
    It’s a strange one. Both are a compromise so I don’t see the point in the change.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    digitoldigitol Posts: 276member
    I'm not buying anything notch from Apple. The notch is a lie. All the sensors can be placed under screen. Other hardware manufacturers who's names I will not name do it. I'm sick and tired of Apple holding back. Apple has to re-earn my dollar. When and if Apple comes out with pin-form or notchless displays i'm all in again. You have to really do your homework, when buying new apple products these days... buyer beware. 
  • Reply 7 of 9
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    digitol said:
    I'm not buying anything notch from Apple. The notch is a lie. All the sensors can be placed under screen. Other hardware manufacturers who's names I will not name do it. I'm sick and tired of Apple holding back. Apple has to re-earn my dollar. When and if Apple comes out with pin-form or notchless displays i'm all in again. You have to really do your homework, when buying new apple products these days... buyer beware. 

LOL.  "The notch is a lie."  Right, which is why they've been using it for 4.5 years. Other manufacturers don't have the same Face ID capabilities, even if they are similar.  You're also dealing with Android and spec-whoring.  If you want to buy another phone, go ahead.  But whining about Apple having to earn your dollar is just silly.  
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 8 of 9
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    saarek said:
    Like most I’m used to the notch, that doesn’t mean that it’s not a compromise I’d love to see disappear.

I’d thought about buying a 14 Pro this year to replace my XS Max, but maybe it’s worth holding out another year.
    I had a XS Max and now have a 12 Pro Max.  There is a big difference even between these two phones. The difference between the XS Max and the 14 Pro Max will be even bigger.  Up to you, but I'd seriously consider upgrading in the fall.  I know I will be doing so.  
  • Reply 9 of 9
    igorskyigorsky Posts: 757member
    digitol said:
    What a nutty statement.  Also nobody gaf if you want to buy the next iPhone or not.