Apple TV+ signs multi-year deal with Playtone, 'Greyhound' sequel sets sail

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
Apple TV has signed a multi-year deal with Tom Hanks and Gary Goetzman's Playtone, giving Apple's streaming video service more content from the production company, including a sequel to "Greyhound."

Tom Hanks in 'Greyhound'
Tom Hanks in 'Greyhound'

The deal involves Playtone providing a number of projects to Apple, with a view to developing for a global audience. The deal will cover a variety of content types from the production house, including documentaries, unscripted content, and other series.

The value of the deal is unknown, but Deadline describes it as a "multi-year exclusive" affair.

The report also adds that Apple Original Films and Playtone are moving on with a sequel to the critically-acclaimed WWII thriller "Greyhound." The Hanks-fronted film received many nominations, including one from the Oscars, and paved the way for Apple TV+ to proceed with other blockbuster-style films.

Playtone is already working with Apple on "Masters of the Air," another WWII story that follows on from the HBO series "Band of Brothers." With Hanks and Goetzman joined by Steven Spielberg as executive producers, the 10-episode miniseries will reportedly cost more than $200 million to produce.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,192member
    Many stories will only be cheapened with a sequel.

I would prefer someone else’s story. 
  • Reply 2 of 3
    d_2d_2 Posts: 118member
    This is clearly a “win” for Apple - Hanks is a top notch Hollywood star on and off screen
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 3
    pairof9pairof9 Posts: 74member
    entropys said:
    Many stories will only be cheapened with a sequel.

I would prefer someone else’s story. 
    I can certainly agree with this sentiment...by a long shot, sequels seem to fail to match or simply mimic the original. There are obvious exceptions like Godfather II, Dark Knight, Empire Strikes Back, and Road Warrior/Mad Max 2

The only thing I'd say for Greyhound is that it unto itself is a great movie. That it can carry on other stories during wartime is a little like Star Wars stories or Toy Story avenues, so I give it a good chance to be as well as the original.
    watto_cobra