Apple pulls the plug on wrestling series 'Monster Factory' after lackluster first season

Posted:
in General Discussion

Coach Danny Cage has confirmed that Apple will end its wrestling series "Monster Factory" after its first season due to low viewership, but it will likely remain on the Apple TV+ platform.

Apple has canceled
Apple has canceled "Monster Factory"
Monster Factory

premiered in March on Apple TV+ as a docuseries about aspiring professional wrestlers. Apple described it as "the story of misfit dreamers at a wrestling school on the outskirts of a gritty New Jersey factory town who, with the help of their tough yet loving coach, fight for their big break as professional wrestlers."

In a recent tweet, Danny Cage, the owner and coach of the Monster Factory, announced that the show will not return for a second season. He appreciated the viewers who enjoyed the show but cited low overall viewership as the reason for its non-renewal.

Everyone who watches Monster Factory on @AppleTV loves it! Problem is not enough watch it. Those are the breaks. No season 2. Thanks for everyone who helped out & supported us. But unless some real cosmic shit goes down it's much like my honeymoon. One & done! #monsterfactory pic.twitter.com/nacM9dYqw6

-- Coach Danny Cage (@TheDannyCage)

"Everyone who watches Monster Factory on Apple TV loves it," Cage said. "Problem is not enough watch it. Those are the breaks. No season 2."

Monster Factory isn't the only show that Apple has canceled. News on Monday revealed that the company is ending its dark comedy High Desert after its first season.

However, unlike competing streaming services, Apple won't remove High Desert from its platform, as executive producer Ben Stiller confirmed. Similarly, the company will probably keep the first season of Monster Factory on Apple TV+ so viewers can continue to enjoy it.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    jgreg728jgreg728 Posts: 101member
    And once again, Apple lets TV+ suffer by lack of good marketing, advertising, and overall awareness. Their “quality over quantity” shtick continues to slip. They need to focus on making the Apple TV App 10x better to use with features changing HOW you watch/stream/browse TV content rather than making the shows themselves the full selling point of their TV business. “Hey look, we stream shows and movies….JUST like everyone else!” - There’s little innovation here for Apple to warrant even competing in this market to begin with. And it’s showing with how TV+ continuously fails to get itself off the ground.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    The problem here is the app.  Unusually for apple it’s dreadful (on the Apple TV, at least).
  • Reply 3 of 7
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    Maybe it’s the marketing, because I watch TV+ nearly every day and I haven’t heard one peep about this show since the day it first aired. I forgot it even existed, tbo. 

On the other hand, I have to endure Seth Rogan on an endless loop whenever I open the app, so maybe Apple knew early on that it wouldn’t get a season 2 and just didn’t give a shit. 
    edited July 2023 StrangeDaysFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 4 of 7
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,891member
    The problem here is the app.  Unusually for apple it’s dreadful (on the Apple TV, at least).
    We don’t have any problems using the Apple TV app, dunno what we’re doing wrong. 

Bummer tho, we actually likes it. Dreamers dreaming the impossible dream; it was both inspirational and sad. Much like real life and real failed dreams. My heart went out to those dreamers. 
  • Reply 5 of 7
    ravnorodomravnorodom Posts: 698member
    I had to cancel my Apple TV+. I can't believe my cable company jacked up their internet service price drastically. Keeping Netflix and Crunchyroll (for my son) for now. On top of that, just don't have time to watch them all.
    edited July 2023
  • Reply 6 of 7
    I had to cancel my Apple TV+. I can't believe my cable company jacked up their internet service price drastically. Keeping Netflix and Crunchyroll (for my son) for now. On top of that, just don't have time to watch them all.
    That's interesting, I currently have almost all of the streaming services, and if I had to cut back, Netflix would definitely be the first to go. I do have Apple One Premier though since iCloud storage and Apple Music are a must have for my family and with all the extra services built in it makes it absolutely worth it.
    StrangeDays