Bezel comparision: iPhone 14 Pro vs. iPhone 15 Pro

Posted:
in iPhone edited August 2023

Based on rumors concerning the thinner bezels on the iPhone 15 Pro, a leaker has shared an image of them compared to those on the iPhone 14 Pro.

Render of the expected iPhone 15 Pro chassis design. (Source: AppleInsider)
Render of the expected iPhone 15 Pro chassis design. (Source: AppleInsider)

Amongst the many rumors and predictions for the iPhone 15 Pro, it has repeatedly been reported to feature much slimmer bezels, the non-display area around the screen.

Now leaker "yeux1122" -- who correctly predicted that the Always On display would only be on the iPhone 14 Pro, has created a render attempting to visually show how great the expected difference is.

"This is a comparison rendering image of the front bezel of the rumor-based iPhone 15 Pro and iPhone 14 Pro models so far," says yeux1122's blog (in translation).

Render comparing iPhone 14 Pro bezels with those rumored for the iPhone 15 Pro
Render comparing iPhone 14 Pro bezels with those rumored for the iPhone 15 Pro

There are no further details or visuals to accompany the one render, but if correct, it's a striking image of what we can expect at the iPhone 15 Pro launch in September, or possibly October.

Apple has long been pursuing thinner bezels -- and not just for iPhones. The company has most recently been rumored to have asked suppliers to work on completely removing bezels from the iPhone's front display.

Read on AppleInsider

40domi

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    oberpongooberpongo Posts: 184member
    I wonder if they make
    the phone smaller or
    the screen bigger. I prefer smaller phone. 
    My hope is on an iPhone 15 pro nano
    pulseimages
  • Reply 2 of 13
    I hope this pans out. I’m all for having a slightly larger screen in the same size body. 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 3 of 13
    40domi40domi Posts: 98member
    Striking difference, if True?
  • Reply 4 of 13
    Great, when are they going to do away with the notch?
    williamlondondanox
  • Reply 5 of 13
    thttht Posts: 5,494member
    oberpongo said:
    I wonder if they make
    the phone smaller or
    the screen bigger. I prefer smaller phone. 
    My hope is on an iPhone 15 pro nano
    There are rumors that the iPhone 16 generation will have 6.3" and 6.9" displays. 

Yes, if there is an iPhone 16/17 mini, I'm getting it. My current iPhone 12 at 6.1" is a touch too large. A 5.8" model like the original iPhone X would probably be great for me.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    longfanglongfang Posts: 463member
    It’s a pill now 
  • Reply 7 of 13
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,329member
    When they can make FaceID work as accurately as it presently does, but with the infrared and camera UNDER the screen, that’s when.

Frankly, though: a) it’s not an attached notch anymore, it’s a pill as stated above, and b) the Dynamic Island is such a great feature that if they ever got rid of it I think some users would actually be angry about that. It’s REALLY clever.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 8 of 13
    longfang said:
    It’s a pill now 
    I actually wish there are more top and bottom "bezel". The design industry has this very strong desire to get to the "infinity pool" look where you'll have the display and no bezels, with the display floating sharp edged against the reality behind it. This has led to big holes in the display or poor front sensor/camera quality.

If they had "bezel", say about 0.3", they could have the Face ID sensor cluster, but also things like front cam LED lights, more speakers. Having higher performance front cameras and speakers is something I would definitely prefer over the infinity pool look.

Same for the laptops and iPads. This margin area could also include more cameras and sensors for eye tracking and hand gestures. Eye and hand tracking should come to all Apple displays, eventually.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    tht said:
    There are rumors that the iPhone 16 generation will have 6.3" and 6.9" displays. 

Yes, if there is an iPhone 16/17 mini, I'm getting it. My current iPhone 12 at 6.1" is a touch too large. A 5.8" model like the original iPhone X would probably be great for me.
    I don't know if there will be a mini phone in the main lineup anymore, but I think there's a possibility of a 6.1" iPhone SE and 5.4" SE mini with OLED in the future. But last time I checked the rumors were saying a 5.7" and 6.1" SE, unclear if w/ OLED or not.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    longfanglongfang Posts: 463member
    tht said:
    longfang said:
    It’s a pill now 
    I actually wish there are more top and bottom "bezel". The design industry has this very strong desire to get to the "infinity pool" look where you'll have the display and no bezels, with the display floating sharp edged against the reality behind it. This has led to big holes in the display or poor front sensor/camera quality.

If they had "bezel", say about 0.3", they could have the Face ID sensor cluster, but also things like front cam LED lights, more speakers. Having higher performance front cameras and speakers is something I would definitely prefer over the infinity pool look.

Same for the laptops and iPads. This margin area could also include more cameras and sensors for eye tracking and hand gestures. Eye and hand tracking should come to all Apple displays, eventually.
    Based on the sales numbers for Sony’s Xperia line, it would seem that the market in general is pushing for the bezel less look.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    Apple needs to innovate the iPhone, they just keep making tiny changes but nothing worth upgrading over.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 12 of 13
    longfang said:
    tht said:
    longfang said:
    It’s a pill now 

Based on the sales numbers for Sony’s Xperia line, it would seem that the market in general is pushing for the bezel less look.
    I don't think a lack of infinity pool design, or bezel-less design, is the reason for "lower" Sony's unit sales. It's as if Sony couldn't transition from feature phones to smartphone phones properly. They did try in the early 2010s, and abandoned trying to be a big player after the Xperia line failed to gain traction in the 2010-to-2015 time frame, which was the big top and bottom bezel era. They have now settled on a "Sony" niche. That niche is something like "Japanese camera gizmo-dry". It's enough for Sony to stay in the smartphone business, so, I think that is a net good compared to LG abandoning the market.

It takes more than good industrial design to be successful. It seems Sony isn't even trying to get into carrier retail anymore. Without doing that in the USA, Europe, China and SE Asia (really the Valeriepieris Circle), and taking advantage of their installment plans, an OEM just won't be able to have a large amount of unit sales. It's been strange that Sony just hasn't been able to push into carrier retail and have a large presence there.

Then, their industrial design and performance has weaknesses that has made it hard for people to recommend them. They want to be the camera gizmo smartphone, but their camera performance is no better than Samsung or other flagships. Their camera UI is "pro" flavored, which makes it harder to use. The 3840x1644 resolution display is classic spec for specs' sake. The performance and thermals are oddly buggy in the flagships. Display throttling is part of the vocabulary. I really like the 21:9 form factor, but the materials and textures they have chosen are not great. Even the brand name, "Xperia", is bad imo. The name sounds too similar to disease.

Anyway, Sony also doesn't do much of anything with the top and bottom bezel. If you are going to have it, use it for features. Better front camera with LED lighting, more speakers, etc.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 13 of 13
    clexmanclexman Posts: 209member
    The bezels are fine the way they are. Cases don’t fit or protect as well without a bezel. 

I miss the days of having a caseless cellphone.